This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

He was one of the few male singers I loved listening to, and I saw him many times once together with Olga Borodina in concert. Backstage at that concert Borodina would not come out and greet fans, and someone alerted the impresaria that Borodina would not come out, and Hvorostovsky was standing there with her and I was next to him, and he had an honest reaction of shock blurting out, "Well, that's not right!" Borodina was apparently upset with her performance that night (although she sounded as gorgeous as usual to my ears). To me his reaction showed that he cared about fans and felt it was part of their duty to meet the ones who were ardent fans.

Anyway, I loved the singer.....so few good singers around anymore, and we lose a good one! It is a rarity for me to even attend opera anymore, because I don't like what I hear. I made the effort to see Stemme in Tristan und Isolde last Fall b/c her Brunnhilde in San Francisco in 2011 was absolutely amazing. But so few singers are exciting to me now. Sad to lose one so young. 55 is young for humans and baritones can often sing into old age. I guess 55 is usually when a soprano is starting to wind down her career or drop the most difficult roles out of her repertoire, but Hvorostovsky probably could have sung for years if he had not fallen ill.

In 2015 I saw him in one of his three Il Trovatore performances at the Met. During the curtain calls the orchestra members threw flowers at him and Anna Netrebko wept openly. It was a wonderful moment but when I saw how the other singers were crying I knew that the diagnosis had to be very serious. I wasn't wrong. :(

There are a lot of tributes on the internet; I'm sure there are hundreds more from opera people across the world.  I'm considering this Friday's performance of the Verdi Requiem at the Met as dedicated to him.

Michael Fabiano dedicates tonight's "Manon" at San Francisco Opera to him.

From Vittorio Grigolo:

I, too, was hoping for a miracle. Didn't happen. This is just a crushing, crushing loss.

I'm willing to bet that he's enchanting the angels.

The angels are nudging each other and asking where he got that breath control.

Thank you for posting the news, volcanohunter.