This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker Casting

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

No Tiler Peck the first week. I wonder if she's off guesting somewhere. Does anyone know, in terms of casting, how much NYCB accommodates principal & soloist dancers doing Nutcracker gigs elsewhere. The Von Enck sisters are sharing Dolls. Hope that's fun for them.

43 minutes ago, vipa said:

No Tiler Peck the first week. I wonder if she's off guesting somewhere. Does anyone know, in terms of casting, how much NYCB accommodates principal & soloist dancers doing Nutcracker gigs elsewhere. The Von Enck sisters are sharing Dolls. Hope that's fun for them.

Considering their Instagrams usually show them jetting to all parts of the country (or world - last year Ashley Bouder and Andrew Veyette went to Italy) very accommodating. I mean it's a cash cow and only hardcore balletomanes will care about casting. It's indestructible.

1 hour ago, Emma said:

Lovette said in a recent interview (perhaps the one linked in her instagram bio) that she has been cast less in recent seasons to make time for her choreography. From her instagram stories, she is learning dewdrop.

Interesting...I wonder if she's thinking of early retirement in favor of a career in choreography. That would be a shame though, because I enjoy her dancing.

Since  nobody other than Peter Martins has commissioned her to create new works, she would not be able to make a career out of choreographing.  She has missed a lot time over the past few seasons due to injury and the surgery she had on her foot.

However, Justin Peck could certainly  have a full time career as a choreographer. 

Edited by abatt
1 hour ago, canbelto said:

Lovette has had a number of injuries and in general hasn't really developed as much as I think Peter Martins had hoped. I really like what she's done as a choreographer though. I think her 2 works show far more promise than, for instance, Troy Schumacher.

aww don't say that. What struck me when she came out during the robert fairchild farewell cereomony was how young and tiny she is! I'm not sure where her biggest ambitions lie, but I thinks she's definitely more than capable of giving us more as a dancer too. Though I have to say I get nervous every times she does marzipan because she comes off pointe more often than not, I think there's something besides technical security that she can offer as a dancer. I think her style is very soft and musical and earnest and I enjoy seeing her in slow lyrical ballets

On November 9, 2017 at 8:31 PM,  vipa said: 

Considering their Instagrams usually show them jetting to all parts of the country (or world - last year Ashley Bouder and Andrew Veyette went to Italy) very accommodating. I mean it's a cash cow and only hardcore balletomanes will care about casting. It's indestructible.

I agree. Was it last year Martins put 8 (or was it 20) corps dancers in as sugar Plum Fairy? He said in the NYTimes that he wanted the principals to be able to guest. Can't do that every year, I suppose.

I just received a promotional e-mail from NYCB for screenings of The Nutcracker at movie theaters across the country.

https://screenvisionmedia.com/events/the-nutcracker/?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FY18NutinCinema&utm_content=version_A

Does anyone know if this is the same Fairchild/De Luz recording from two years ago? I’d be eager to see a new film with a different lead couple.

6 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I just received a promotional e-mail from NYCB for screenings of The Nutcracker at movie theaters across the country.

https://screenvisionmedia.com/events/the-nutcracker/?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FY18NutinCinema&utm_content=version_A

Does anyone know if this is the same Fairchild/De Luz recording from two years ago? I’d be eager to see a new film with a different lead couple.

Interesting choices of towns here -- in Washington state, only two screenings, both on the east side of the state.  In Oregon, nothing in Portland.  In California, nothing that I can see close to San Francisco or LA.

I'm very glad that smaller communities are getting a look at this, but I'm surprised that they're not screening in towns with a significant dance community.