This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

David Vaughan RIP

according to those closest in to David in both the ballet world and that of Merce Cunningham, especially over the past few months when he was in ill health, the well-known author, historian and archivist died this morning.

no details have been announced about a memorial, but formal obituaries both here and in England, where David was born, are likely to published in print and on line.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I really enjoyed his "The Dance Historian Is In" programs at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts. 

The NYPL had begun to announce guest hosts for some of the more recent programs, and I'd wondered if Vaughan might be in ill health. I hope that the NYPL keeps the program going, and that it finds some way to keep his name and memory associated with it in his honor.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

I'd heard he was in hospice so I'm not surprised, but I'm sad nonetheless. I didn't even know who he was when I first heard him speak, at a seminar when the Cunningham company was at the American Dance Festival in '95 (?). Since then I've loved his Cunningham history both in print and digitally. I had the pleasure of speaking to him briefly a few times - once at my request he named the dances we'd just seen excerpted at an Event - and I envy those who knew him. 

The Cunningham Trust sent out several tweets which I only just saw this moment. I only knew him through his writings...which I admired and enjoyed.  Sad news--may he rest in peace. And condolences to all who cared about him.

Edited by Drew