This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

It's outrageous if ABT  failed to  put any info regarding the restrictions on exchanging into 5/18 or 5/21 in the original subscription brochure.  In fact, I think it may be tantamount to consumer fraud to add a restriction that was not revealed in the subscription offering. Just more outrageous and unscrupulous conduct by ABT, as if there wasn't already enough evidence of that from prior behavior.

Does anyone have the original subscription booklet to confirm whether these restrictions were previously mentioned in the booklet.

They might have a valid position about May 21 because it is a non subscription event (gala), but is there anything in the booklet that said no exchanges into May 18?

Added:  This kind of conduct toward loyal subscribers is particularly unsavory since Hallberg has withdrawn from his Bayaderes and Whipped Creams.ABT advertised Hallberg for these performances for months, but only recently revealed that he was not going to dance in either production.  People who bought subscriptions to see Hallberg as Solor are forbidden from exchanging into one of the few dates that Hallberg is actually planning on showing up (May 18).

FYI, the Met Opera's subscriber booklet makes very clear the performances that you cannot exchange into.

Edited by abatt
28 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Hi,

I've never been to an ABT performance.  Can someone answer a newbie question?  How far in advance do they open up individual ticket sales?

The date is further upthread, but I'm pretty sure it was March 25. Always a Sunday, at noon I believe, both online and box office. Enjoy, and tell us all what you think if you get a chance!

Edited by nanushka
5 hours ago, mussel said:

I just received my subscription ticket with a note that 5/18 and 5/21 are not available for exchange. Priority exchange week: 3/18-3/24.

This must be their "insurance" for the 5/21 performance in case Osipova or Hallberg (or both) withdraw they'll still have a sold-out audience.

11 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

This must be their "insurance" for the 5/21 performance in case Osipova or Hallberg (or both) withdraw they'll still have a sold-out audience.

I think what ABT is saying is that you can't exchange a ticket FOR 5/18 or 5/21. For 5/18 there's already a waiting list. And 5/21 is the Gala. I think they'd be tickled pink if someone changed a ticket OUT OF 5/18 to another date.

4 minutes ago, angelica said:

I think what ABT is saying is that you can't exchange a ticket FOR 5/18 or 5/21. For 5/18 there's already a waiting list. And 5/21 is the Gala. I think they'd be tickled pink if someone changed a ticket OUT OF 5/18 to another date.

Oh thanks. I got the dates mixed up. And, your explanation makes sense.

5 minutes ago, California said:

Waiting list? Do you mean that the house is completely sold out for that night just with subscribers?

I can only guess that when people ordered their subscription tickets and were able to order extra single tickets at the same time, many ordered an extra ticket to 5/18. A couple of years ago tickets were held back until the last minute for one of the Ferri/Bolle Onegin performances because the demand was so high, and I'm guessing that they may be doing the same thing with 5/18.

9 minutes ago, California said:

Waiting list? Do you mean that the house is completely sold out for that night just with subscribers?

Please see above.

2 minutes ago, angelica said:

I can only guess that when people ordered their subscription tickets and were able to order extra single tickets at the same time, many ordered an extra ticket to 5/18. A couple of years ago tickets were held back until the last minute for one of the Ferri/Bolle Onegin performances because the demand was so high, and I'm guessing that they may be doing the same thing with 5/18.

On the subscription ordering page, the Friday night fixed series including 5/18 is still available. But if you try to do a choose-your-own-3, 5/18 is not one of the options. No doubt the hottest ticket of the season. But I've  been burned so many times by Osipova cancellations that I guess I'm not as upset as some might be.

Hey all, I need some advice. I haven't been to the MET in at least 3 years, but my distance vision has deteriorated since. I always loved center dress circle, but I wonder if that's too high up now. I'm taking opera glasses with me plus an extra pair of binoculars for close ups (10x, work great in the dark). Should I pay the extra cash for Grand Tier? I really don't mind the price difference because I'm using the money from last year (and the year before that, and the year before that), and I just want to enjoy the shows. Plus, I'm not attending that many shows this time anyway (not enough time in NY each week).

Orchestra isn't good for me. We simply do not get along. Long story.

Thank you nanushka and angelica, and good point about the back of the grand tier. I'll keep that in mind. I'll definitely go for grand tier for the shows I definitely want to watch and are in my schedule, and maybe dress circle for those last minute "why not? I'm already here" unplanned shows (they seem to always happen). You know, just so I know how much I can still see from up there for any future lengthier season. Thanks again to both.

6 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Thank you nanushka and angelica, and good point about the back of the grand tier. I'll keep that in mind. I'll definitely go for grand tier for the shows I definitely want to watch and are in my schedule, and maybe dress circle for those last minute "why not? I'm already here" unplanned shows (they seem to always happen). You know, just so I know how much I can still see from up there for any future lengthier season. Thanks again to both.

FWIW, I experimented one year and sat in many sections of the Met. The overall problem is that the opera house was built for opera, not for ballet, and the horseshoe is very deep, so even if you're in the most expensive seat, center parterre, you're very far away from the stage. This is unlike the State Theatre, which has a much shallower horseshoe (and also has enough ladies rooms, so there is never an impossible line at intermission). But I digress.

Now I always sit in the Orchestra, although that has its own problems, depending on where you're seated and how tall the person in front of you is. But before I could afford Orchestra seats I used to sit in the Side Parterre, boxes 5, 6, 7, or 8. That way you're closer to the stage, even though a small portion is cut off. If you sit in the Side Parterre, it's essential to sit in the first row of the box. One must make this very explicit when ordering Side Parterre tickets.

Seating preferences are so much a matter of personal taste.

14 minutes ago, angelica said:

. . . the Orchestra, although that has its own problems, depending on where you're seated and how tall the person in front of you is. But before I could afford Orchestra seats I used to sit in the Side Parterre, boxes 5, 6, 7, or 8. That way you're closer to the stage, even though a small portion is cut off. If you sit in the Side Parterre, it's essential to sit in the first row of the box. One must make this very explicit when ordering Side Parterre tickets.

Seating preferences are so much a matter of personal taste.

Side orchestra, on the aisle, is one of my favorite places to sit, even farther back, but it's difficult to get, as many seem to be reserved for critics and VIPs. Still, in an unfamiliar theater, it's safest. You're at a slight angle, so you don't have the tall person's head problem. At the Met, second choice is side parterre, in the front row, as Angelica says. But you also have to be careful about the ballet. To see the balcony in R&J, you have to be theater left. To see Giselle's grave, theater right. etc. Third choice is Grand Tier, Row A or B, even if it's over to the side - unobstructed view, but very far from the stage.

Side orchestra, on the aisle, is one of my favorite places to sit, even farther back, but it's difficult to get, as many seem to be reserved for critics and VIPs. Still, in an unfamiliar theater, it's safest. You're at a slight angle, so you don't have the tall person's head problem. At the Met, second choice is side parterre, in the front row, as Angelica says. But you also have to be careful about the ballet. To see the balcony in R&J, you have to be theater left. To see Giselle's grave, theater right. etc. Third choice is Grand Tier, Row A or B, even if it's over to the side - unobstructed view, but very far from the stage.

6 minutes ago, California said:

I don't know why this happened.

6 minutes ago, California said:

You're so  right, California, it absolutely depends on the ballet!

Edited by angelica