This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

20 minutes ago, mira said:

Abatt, well said.   Not sure why Nanushka feels his rank "a joke"...   He's a proven principal both at Boston and NYC and in galas and competitions internationally.   It takes time at ABT - no matter who you are.  Agree he will likely get more as the season progresses.     He just got back from a fall season at ENB doing great stuff and found the time to choreograph the winning routine for this amazing couple (ice dancing 2018 European champions and headed to the Olympics)  http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/10/25/259553222

Clearly Cirio worked with Papadakis and Cizeron on their free dance.  However, he is not officially given any credit.  The choreography is credited to Marie France Dubreuil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriella_Papadakis

11 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Hoven was thrown soloist roles for years when he was in the corps. I'd like to see him and Forster given a shot a principal role. Can it pan out any worse than Hammoudi?

Seriously. Just because Hammoudi looks the part doesn't mean he can dance the part — and yet he keeps being given the opportunity, over and over. It's beyond time to give someone else a shot.

20 hours ago, abatt said:

Clearly Cirio worked with Papadakis and Cizeron on their free dance.  However, he is not officially given any credit.  The choreography is credited to Marie France Dubreuil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriella_Papadakis

Yes, most articles point to this fact:

http://www.insideskating.net/2017/11/09/events/2017-finlandia-trophy-the-blue-dance-the-blue-dream

https://europeonice.com/2017/12/05/papadakis-and-cizeron-reaching-perfection/

If you haven't yet had a chance to see it, it is a gorgeous program:

Edited by its the mom
33 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

On stage he does't read childlike, as Simkin did/does, nor does he appear as short as Cornejo (though maybe he is), so I'm surprised management hasn't given him a few more opportunities. Also, there have been no reports of him being an inconsistent partner, at least from his time in Boston. 

It's been sad to see Gorak somewhat sidelined. The quality of his dancing is exceptional. I wonder if the partnering ended up being too much of an issue; he's spoken in interviews how he's a ball of nerves before going on stage, and there was a sweet anecdote about Xiomara Reyes reassuring him before a performance of Cinderella.

Hoven was thrown soloist roles for years when he was in the corps. I'd like to see him and Forster given a shot a principal role. Can it pan out any worse than Hammoudi?

Didn't Hoven suffer an injury which sidelined him for a bit?  I love his dancing and am hoping for more for him also.  I agree that Forster is another dancer who has been underutilized.  I would hate to see any of the openings go to a guest.  I know someone said that the audience "deserves" it, but I think the dancers deserve a chance to develop.  

Edited by its the mom
22 minutes ago, its the mom said:

If you haven't yet had a chance to see it, it is a gorgeous program:

Thanks.  I do follow figure skating very closely, and they are a magnificent couple.  I think their routine is better than Virtue and Moir this season, and I hope that Papadakis Cizeron can take home the gold.  Disturbed that Stepanova and Bukin are banned from the ice dance competition, although they were not in contention for the medals.

Edited by abatt
20 hours ago, abatt said:

He's also indebted to ABT, but that factor doesn't seem to matter.  I can understand why he might retire the role of Solor, but Whipped Cream?  It's an easyish, short role.  The only explanation seems to be another gig.

I also noticed that Cornejo is no longer cast in Whipped Cream.

1 hour ago, its the mom said:

Didn't Hoven suffer an injury which sidelined him for a bit?  I love his dancing and am hoping for more for him also.  I agree that Forster is another dancer who has been underutilized.  I would hate to see any of the openings go to a guest.  I know someone said that the audience "deserves" it, but I think the dancers deserve a chance to develop.  

I'm not totally sure about the injury, but he transformed himself physically and technically within the past two or three years (I guess this could have been post-injury). He slimmed down, toned up, and just sort of seemed to have a new fire and finesse in his dancing. I wish I could have seen his debut as Aminta to see how he fared in a full-length. Ditto for Nutcracker.

8 minutes ago, its the mom said:

I also noticed that Cornejo is no longer cast in Whipped Cream.

I looked back at the casting spreadsheets posted earlier in this thread, and I don't think he was ever cast in it for the Met season. Or was he supposed to perform it in D.C.?

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 minute ago, fondoffouettes said:

I'm not totally sure about the injury, but he sort of transformed himself physically and technically within the past two or three years (I guess this could have been post-injury). He slimmed down, toned up, and just sort of seemed to have a new fire and finesse in his dancing. I wish I could have seen his debut as Aminta to see how he fared in a full-length. Ditto for Nutcracker.

I looked back at the casting spreadsheets posted earlier in this thread, and I don't think he was ever cast in it for the Met season. Or was he supposed to perform it in D.C.?

I thought he was cast in DC, but I could be wrong.  But he did perform it last year.  

5 hours ago, nanushka said:

My perhaps ridiculously optimistic hope is that this is a temporary blip, that they're reeling from the loss of Gomes and now, to some extent, of Hallberg, and so they're falling back into old habits in order to play it safe. I do hope the recent trend you describe will continue in the future.

It's interesting that no one has really mentioned Joey Gorak. What the heck happened there? He had some long-standing problems (e.g. partnering) but I do think that overall he was growing, and in so many ways he was a beautiful dancer. And for awhile there he was getting some great opportunities — e.g. the Prince in Cinderella. My initial read was that Cirio came in and took the principal spot that might have otherwise gone to Gorak — but then Cirio's principal status is basically a joke. 

I hope you're right regarding your first comment.

I once thought that Gorak was a principal-in-the-making. But, then he was given opportunities that he didn't seem to measure up to and that have since been withdrawn, like Romeo, Nutcracker Prince, and a few others that I can't recall. (Though, Hammoudi continues to get opportunities that he's not measuring up to....) Last season I saw him in one of the peasant pas and I commented that his dancing was pretty yet bland. He was hitting all of the marks, but it looked like he was dialing it in. He also had a big, fake smile plastered on (had never seen that on him before). Physically, he has everything he needs. Perhaps he's lost his motivation for whatever reason. Or, didn't/isn't receiving the coaching he needs (esp for Romeo). But, I was seeing a stagnancy in his dancing before Cirio was promoted. He's definitely in no-man's-land now.

2 hours ago, abatt said:

That is typical in figure skating.  Many figure skaters work with dancers/dance choreographers in all genres off ice, including those who provide off-ice material that is translated to skating (blades, momentum, speed, etc.) by coaches and figure skating choreographers.  Many skaters work with dancers on details, quality of movement, interpretation, etc., particularly, but not exclusively, ice dancers, who have a required "ballroom" pattern each year.   It is rare for them to get choreographic credit.

38 minutes ago, abatt said:

Cornejo was always a bit too old to be playing the young boy.  Probably best to leave that role behind.  Simkin was perfection, and his "boyish" qualities perfectly suited the role.

I agree.  I was just wondering if some of the principals (Hallberg and Cornejo) decided it was just not something they wanted to do.  As ABT Fan said it may have been Cornejo's choice, maybe Hallberg decided after the season started that he just didn't want to do it after all.  

7 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

Does anyone know when single tix go on sale? I'm not renewing my subscription, no matter how many times ABT robocalls me, and I'll be in London the first week of the season anyway. Sorry to miss Hallberg in Giselle but McRae in Manon much more exciting.

Last year I charged my tickets on Monday, March 27. So (just a guess), Monday, March 26?

But as I recall, it's usually on a Sunday, no? So perhaps I purchased them on the 26th and the charge went through the following day.

Edited by nanushka

This season is just disappointing. With the cost of the tickets and travel from DC for me, I’ll only make it to 3 performances including one I have mixed feelings about (Seo in Giselle but I can’t miss Bolle!). No regrets on anything else though - I had to weed through performances with Copeland to find one Don Q with Cornejo, so I’ll only see him once anyway. Thankfully the Cuban ballet is coming to DC!

24 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Last year I charged my tickets on Monday, March 27. So (just a guess), Monday, March 26?

But as I recall, it's usually on a Sunday, no? So perhaps I purchased them on the 26th and the charge went through the following day.

Going back quite a few years, they go on sale on a Sunday morning and they seem to try to avoid Easter. So the best guess is Sunday, March 25 - at least that's what I have on my personal calendar!  Sometimes the Met ticketing site has that information, but I can't find anything (yet).

24 minutes ago, lacdescygnes said:

This season is just disappointing. With the cost of the tickets and travel from DC for me, I’ll only make it to 3 performances including one I have mixed feelings about (Seo in Giselle but I can’t miss Bolle!). No regrets on anything else though - I had to weed through performances with Copeland to find one Don Q with Cornejo, so I’ll only see him once anyway. Thankfully the Cuban ballet is coming to DC!

No disagreement here! I'm also planning to go to the first three days of Cuba, then train to NYC to see the SAB workshop, 1 or 2 Bayaderes (Teuscher-Ahn-Trenary looks promising), an NYCB Coppelia, the NYCB season closer (all-Balanchine!) and the premiere of Harlequinade. In May, the Osipova-Hallberg Giselle, maybe the Bolle Giselle (especially if it turns  out to be his retirement), but otherwise Robbins week at NYCB.  I wouldn't mind seeing Cornejo or Simkin, but they aren't worth a special trip at this point.

1 hour ago, California said:

Going back quite a few years, they go on sale on a Sunday morning and they seem to try to avoid Easter. So the best guess is Sunday, March 25 - at least that's what I have on my personal calendar!  Sometimes the Met ticketing site has that information, but I can't find anything (yet).

I used the live chat feature on the Met's website, and the customer service representative told me they go on sale Sunday, March 25. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
2 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I used the live chat feature on the Met's website and the customer service representative told me they go on sale Sunday, March 15. 

Thank you! It didn't occur to me to try that. Assume that was Sunday, March 18?

Edited by California
3 minutes ago, California said:

Thank you! It didn't occur to me to try that. Assume that was Sunday, March 18?

No, sorry -- I corrected my original post. It's Sunday, March 25. I've never thought to use it either, but it was a nice change from sitting on hold for a box office person!

Edited by fondoffouettes