This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

12 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Hallberg will be guesting with the Mariinsky July 12 and 20 at the White Nights Festival. I’m guessing that’s why he pulled out of Whipped Cream earlier in the month.

He is basically an ABT guest artist at this point. And his post-injury rep is so limited. 

15 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

He is basically an ABT guest artist at this point. And his post-injury rep is so limited. 

Maybe when Hallberg decided he could no longer perform Solor, ABT and Mariinsky did a swap - we'll loan you  Kimin Kim for Solor, and you loan us Hallberg for Albrecht.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:27 PM, abatt said:

Maybe when Hallberg decided he could no longer perform Solor, ABT and Mariinsky did a swap - we'll loan you  Kimin Kim for Solor, and you loan us Hallberg for Albrecht.

I haven't seen Hallberg this year. Has he retired Solor?  I did see Kimin Kim's Solor last week.  He was great, Gillian Murphy was thrilling as Gamzatti, but I thought Hee Seo was  bland and overparted.

24 minutes ago, Marta said:

I haven't seen Hallberg this year. Has he retired Solor?  I did see Kimin Kim's Solor last week.  He was great, Gillian Murphy was thrilling as Gamzatti, but I thought Hee Seo was  bland and overparted.

I don’t believe he’s officially retired Solor, but I assume as much. He pulled out of ABT’s Bayadere months ago, before he injured himself. I think the Petipa role he’s most likely to reprise at ABT or elsewhere is Prince Desiree. I could certainly see him in the Ratmansky reconstruction; lots of partnering, with just one (super taxing) solo.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

I don’t believe he’s officially retired Solor, but I assume as much. He pulled out of ABT’s Bayadere months ago, before he injured himself. I think the Petipa role he’s most likely to reprise at ABT or elsewhere is Prince Desiree. I could certainly see him in the Ratmansky reconstruction; lots of partnering, with just one (super taxing) solo.

Romeo is no walk in the park and he's still doing that....

Arron Scott has replaced Jonathan Klein as The Boy in Whipped Cream for his two performances. Klein was replaced in this on tour months ago, so assuming he's injured, though he's been able to do a few simple corps roles the past few weeks.

I got an email advertising a flash sale for WC for 25% off. Not a great sign, but being scheduled the last week and during 4th of July doesn't help.

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Arron Scott has replaced Jonathan Klein as The Boy in Whipped Cream for his two performances. Klein was replaced in this on tour months ago, so assuming he's injured, though he's been able to do a few simple corps roles the past few weeks.

I got an email advertising a flash sale for WC for 25% off. Not a great sign, but being scheduled the last week and during 4th of July doesn't help.

And last year WC was a near sell-out. I assumed they programmed it for that week because they thought it could still sell well. And there will be tourists in town.

I'm disappointed to hear Klein has been replaced; I was looking forward to seeing a corps member get a shot at a leading role. 

36 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

And last year WC was a near sell-out. I assumed they programmed it for that week because they thought it could still sell well. And there will be tourists in town.

I'm disappointed to hear Klein has been replaced; I was looking forward to seeing a corps member get a shot at a leading role. 

Klein did perform the Boy in Whipped Cream on tour earlier in the season, I believe (at least in D.C.?)

28 minutes ago, its the mom said:

Klein did perform the Boy in Whipped Cream on tour earlier in the season, I believe (at least in D.C.?)

Yes, I remember he had posted about it. The ABT calendar now lets you go back in time (yay!), and it shows him performing it just that one time in the D.C. run. (Cirio and Shayer each got one performance, as well; Simkin got two.) The casting is also mentioned in the thread from that run.

Was it during the Hong Kong run that he was replaced?

Edited by fondoffouettes

Unless I am able to get to Lincoln Center next week for Don Q, this will be the first spring season in a long time that I have not seen ABT, even though I pay for an annual membership and for many years was a subscriber. I have been faithfully following this thread and the threads on this forum for the individual ABT ballets this season and regret that I missed a few stellar performances, esp. Shevchenko in SL. I was not moved to see any of the new ballets, and the old stalwarts draw me in only if there is an outstanding ballerina. None of the leading men is much of a draw now that Gomes is gone, although I do like Cornejo. I did love all of NYCB's spring performances that I saw--still dreaming about them, the music, the choreography, and the top 5 principal ballerinas, all of whom I love--and hoping to see as many performances as I can in the fall. If ABT will be at the Koch Theater in November--does anyone know?--I would be tempted to go because it will be repertory, not full-length ballets. I guess I am tired of all the supernumeraries prancing around for long periods of time in crowd scenes of classic full-length ballets and just want to get at the real dancing. Just my personal perspective but I am disappointed that ABT does not move me the way it used to.  I wonder if anyone else has been disappointed in ABT this spring or is it just me?

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Anyone know what Hallberg might be rehearsing for here, which is perhaps why he pulled out of Whipped Cream?

I know there was some speculation that he might be headed to Australia for Sleeping Beauty, but was that ever substantiated?

Edited to add:  This is the only thing I see coming up for him there. Seems early for rehearsals, though.

He's guesting with the Mariinsky in July (info is on his Instagram), which is why I believe he pulled out of WC. 

56 minutes ago, AB'sMom said:

Veronika Part is dancing with her in Isadora at Segerstrom Center in Costa Mesa. The Sadler’s Wells program just says she will be joined by three other dancers, including David Hallberg. 

Thank you. I don't think I'll get to see either program.