This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

12 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

On IG, he has been posting a lot of photos of interviews and photo shoots. Still no visual evidence of him stepping inside ABT’s studios.

He posted an IG story this morning apparently from an ABT rehearsal studio.

On May 10, 2018 at 1:01 PM, Helene said:

I read these posts with a certain glee: Ballet Alert! was named for an Arlene Croce parody, in which she invented a fictitious phone alert system -- like the phone tree from back in the day when parents called each other to announce snow days -- to disseminate casting info. (She discusses the piece here: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/first/c/croce-writing.html) Thanks to social media, we don't have to be home waiting for the phone or ABT to update the changes on its website. I wonder what Croce thinks of these changes.

Is there a place to find taken down new Yorker vulture videos like Ferri bolle Romeo interview 7/21/07? Not at vulture Internet anymore or mag archives or nypl(even Robbins) or internet archive or supposedly the dance universities ( Indiana..) I would think Ferri retirement is important .  

Croce's plan worked during the Balanchine birthday cancellation a few years ago , didn't it?

you would think calling abt would work, or asking the dancers, but I guess not. Wouldn't abt or dancers  want fans to come to a half empty show?

I guess parents might give misinfo too (even on the phone tree). 

Edited by Vs1
31 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Also if we want to use social media as a gage for how things might happen Stella has been ominously silent on social media for awhile and she's usually an extremely enthusiastic, active Instagram poster.

I noticed that too.

Cate Hurlin has now been cast in both of Abrera's Lead Maiden's, on the 22nd and the 24th. This is on ABT's site; strangely not yet on the Met Opera's site, which is usually updated quicker. I'm happy for Hurlin getting more opportunities, but worried about Abrera.

I have a feeling they're still trying to figure out who will replace her in Giselle; I don't think this one is an easy solution. Also, Stearns replaced Gomes in that performance, so I wonder if they'd put in an entirely different couple; Stearns has his original Giselle w/ Murphy on Saturday.

It seems to me the only good scheduling option is to put Copeland in there.  If Abrera can't perform, I would be thrilled to see Lane, or alternatively, a new Giselle like Trenary or Brandt.  I saw Copeland last season in Giselle, and once was enough.

7 minutes ago, abatt said:

It seems to me the only good scheduling option is to put Copeland in there.  If Abrera can't perform, I would be thrilled to see Lane, or alternatively, a new Giselle like Trenary or Brandt.  I saw Copeland last season in Giselle, and once was enough.

Aggh. What a mess. I really bought one ticket, for Osipova's Giselle. Other than that I guess I will decide on daily basis if I feel enough inspired to watch any other performance. 

26 minutes ago, abatt said:

I doubt they would put a last minute Giselle like Trenary or Brandt.  Either Gillian with Cory, although that gives her three performances in a week (two Giselles and a Myrtha.)  Normally, with a younger dancer, that is not an issue, but it could be for her.  My guess would be Sarah and Daniil.

27 minutes ago, its the mom said:

I doubt they would put a last minute Giselle like Trenary or Brandt.  Either Gillian with Cory, although that gives her three performances in a week (two Giselles and a Myrtha.)  Normally, with a younger dancer, that is not an issue, but it could be for her.  My guess would be Sarah and Daniil.

We would be happy to see the Sarah-Daniil team but would still be a bit disappointed.

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR THIRD AND FOURTH WEEKS OF AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2018 SPRING SEASON AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Isabella Boylston, James Whiteside, Gillian Murphy and Thomas Forster to Lead World Premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s Harlequinade on Monday, June 4 Casting for the third and fourth weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2018 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. The first of seven performances of La Bayadère begins Tuesday, May 29 featuring Hee Seo as Nikiya, Guest Artist Kimin Kim as Solor and Gillian Murphy as Gamzatti. The matinee on Wednesday, May 30 will feature debuts by Devon Teuscher (Nikiya), Joo Won Ahn (Solor) and Christine Shevchenko (Gamzatti). Other debuts for the week include Sarah Lane as Nikiya and Skylar Brandt as Gamzatti on Wednesday evening, May 30, Isabella Boylston as Nikiya and Jeffrey Cirio as Solor on Thursday, May 31 and Cassandra Trenary as Gamzatti at the matinee on Saturday, June 2. Choreographed by Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa, La Bayadère is set to music by Ludwig Minkus, specially arranged by John Lanchbery, and features scenery by PierLuigi Samaritani, costumes by Theoni V. Aldredge and lighting by Toshiro Ogawa. The full-length La Bayadère received its World Premiere by the Imperial Ballet at the Bolshoi Kamenny in St. Petersburg on February 4, 1877. La Bayadère, Act II (The Kingdom of the Shades) was first performed in the West by the Leningrad-Kirov Ballet in 196l. Natalia Makarova first staged The Kingdom of the Shades scene for American Ballet Theatre in 1974 and it received its premiere at the State Theater in New York City on July 3 of that year, danced by Cynthia Gregory as Nikiya and Ivan Nagy as Solor.

Makarova subsequently produced and choreographed the complete version of La Bayadère (in three acts) for American Ballet Theatre, which received its World Premiere on May 21, 1980 with Natalia Makarova as Nikiya, Anthony Dowell as Solor and Cynthia Harvey as Gamzatti. An all-new production of Harlequinade, staged by Alexei Ratmansky after the original by Marius Petipa, will be given its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on Monday, June 4, led by Isabella Boylston as Columbine, James Whiteside as Harlequin, Gillian Murphy as Pierrette and Thomas Forster as Pierrot. Sarah Lane, Jeffrey Cirio, Stella Abrera and David Hallberg will lead the ballet for the first time on Tuesday, June 5. On Wednesday, June 6, the ballet will feature debuts by Misty Copeland (Columbine), Daniil Simkin (Harlequin), Hee Seo (Pierrette) and Alexandre Hammoudi (Pierrot) at the matinee, and by Cassandra Trenary (Columbine), Gabe Stone Shayer (Harlequin), Christine Shevchenko (Pierrette) and Blaine Hoven (Pierrot) at the evening performance. A comic ballet in two-acts, Harlequinade is set to music by Riccardo Drigo and first premiered in 1900 in St. Petersburg, Russia. The new production will feature sets and costumes by Robert Perdziola and lighting by Brad Fields. A co-production with The Australian Ballet, Harlequinade is ABT’s first full-length production of the ballet. Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2018 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $22, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Tweet from Marina Harss earlier today briefly notes the upcoming retirement of Craig Salstein:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The tap innovator Michelle Dorrance prepares the dancers of <a href="https://twitter.com/ABTBallet?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ABTBallet</a> to make a joyful noise (also, Craig Salstein is retiring!) <a href="https://t.co/wd0ccvVGN0">https://t.co/wd0ccvVGN0</a></p>&mdash; Marina harss (@MarinaHarss) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarinaHarss/status/997548641857531904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 18, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> 

More info. from The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/making-noise-at-the-ballet

Edited by laurel
1 hour ago, cobweb said:

I’m not on Facebook so I don’t know if  missing anything but does it say where the Harliquinade photos/videos were done? Curious about the locale. 

I didn’t see anything about the location.

23 hours ago, nanushka said:

The phrasing is a bit wonky (should it be "after over a month"?), but it sounds like Paulina Waski may be back onstage soon:

She has a Vishnevaesque sort of beauty. Hoping to see Paulina back on the stage soon.