This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

9 hours ago, Victura said:

Thank you for that detailed analysis, ABT Fan. I agree with a lot of your points. Personally, I really enjoy both Lane and Cirio and am somewhat disappointed not to see them more often. Curious why you say you don't see the two of them having chemistry together? I don't think they've partnered together but it could be interesting to see. 

Also would not mind at all if you wish to do a tally of the men as well. :)

Cirio and Lane were on stage together for Corsaire last season; Cirio as Ali and Lane as Gulnare. Just seeing them interact I wasn't struck by how they looked next to each other or sensed any chemistry that I thought would make them a good fit. (It was fine for their respective roles in Corsaire though.) Maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were to dance together. However, Cirio and Brandt are a "wow" couple waiting to be born (she was Medora at the same performance) and I bet they'd be electrifying in Don Q (another missed opportunity.)

Thanks it's the mom for doing the men's tally. It got way too late last night for me to do that one. I'm glad Cirio gets 3 Mercutios, but he's done that role before and it's not the lead. As someone wrote below, yep, we'd probably do a much better job with the casting. 😉 I guess we could always start a Fantasy Ballet thread!

On 10/26/2017 at 9:52 PM, fondoffouettes said:

Still, it’s very disappointing not to see Lane in the role.

It’s ridiculous they gave Lane the Wednesday matinee of Giselle after her triumphant performances last season. 

Well, it's a very nice thing for those of us who, for a variety of personal and professional reasons, find it easier to get to a Wednesday matinee than a weekday evening or weekend matinee performance.

I do realize that matinees are not deemed to be the glamour assignments, but the matinee audience does pay for its tickets, does contain discerning balletomanes among its ranks, and isn't exactly chopped liver.

Just sayin'

It goes without saying that any given performance is going to be more convenient for some and less convenient for others. I doubt that fondoffouettes' comment was meant to imply anything negative about the audience at Wednesday matinees. But that particular slot, in this particular company, has for quite some time — particularly with classics like Giselle that don't have a strong draw for children — been often given as a sort of "apprentice" slot to a dancer who is newer to the role, of lower rank, or otherwise not among the big names. It carries less prestige. I assume that's what was meant. It's disappointing for those of us who want to see Lane get the assignments we think she really deserves — not for any particular audience members who want to see her perform at a particular time.

On principle, I agree with you. I'm just talking about what the pattern has been in the company's casting over the years. Sometimes certain actions or events carry connotations that aren't necessarily logical but that are there nonetheless. If the company, over many seasons in many ballets, tends to cast a certain type of dancer in a certain slot, as association begins to accrue. Maybe for the AD there's a logic in that; I can't speak for him.

That said, as someone who often has the flexibility to attend a variety of different performances at different times, I do think there's a certain energy, a certain buzz in the house, that seems to be more present at evening performances — and especially on opening Mondays, and on Fridays and Saturdays — that just isn't often there on weekday matinees. Maybe it's real, maybe it's just me, I don't know.

What matters most to me is that Lane got the part, not when she got it. But that said, there is, in the eyes of many — not in everyone's, obviously — a certain cache that comes with certain assignments and not with others.

Lane and Cirio were cast together in The Nutcracker last December, if I’m remembering correctly. 

Edit: Hmm after checking, I guess I’m wrong. I don’t know why I thought they were? Maybe they did a Nutcracker gig at another company...

Edited by Fleurfairy
34 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

Lane and Cirio were cast together in The Nutcracker last December, if I’m remembering correctly. 

Edit: Hmm after checking, I guess I’m wrong. I don’t know why I thought they were? Maybe they did a Nutcracker gig at another company...

Yes, he filled in for Joseph Gorak. Not sure if Gorak was injured?

I would give Cirio-Lane a chance if it ever happens again. Did Simkin have chemistry with Lane (or really, with anyone) when he first joined ABT?  I remember seeing a peasant pas de deux with Lane where he hardly seemed to acknowledge she was on the stage. Even the sheer mechanics of the partnering was off. As I remember, other people complained about it on this website too. And yet in the past couple of years, I read people saying they do have chemistry. Tastes differ, but sometimes, too, partnerships mature, and chemistry requires a little experience.

Edited by Drew

Lane and Cirio also danced together as Princess Florine and the Blue Bird in Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty during last fall's visit to the Opera Bastille in Paris.  From the video clips I viewed on Instagram, they looked wonderful together, physically well matched, with their liquid, lyrical arms creating the sensation that they really were flying together.  Would love to see them paired in anything in New York.

20 minutes ago, laurel said:

Lane and Cirio also danced together as Princess Florine and the Blue Bird in Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty during last fall's visit to the Opera Bastille in Paris.  From the video clips I viewed on Instagram, they looked wonderful together, physically well matched, with their liquid, lyrical arms creating the sensation that they really were flying together.  Would love to see them paired in anything in New York.

I missed that. Can you post the link or direct me to whose Insta feed it was?

4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I missed that. Can you post the link or direct me to whose Insta feed it was?

My apologies, but after more than a year, this is the only clip I could locate.  This brief glimpse may give you an idea of how nicely Lane and Cirio's lyrical styles match.

Several nice programs across the plaza at NYCB's All Robbins programs the same week as the Osipova/Hallberg Giselle -- Dances at a Gathering, Opus 19/The Dreamer, Glass Pieces, Les Noces, etc. And I'm watching the Bolle Giselle Saturday night - looks like it might turn out to be a retirement performance. A worthwhile visit, even if Osipova/Hallberg doesn't happen. Who knows -- Lane/Simkin would be available to sub after their  Wednesday matinee and would be a treat, too.

Edited by California

So glad Lane is taking/getting opportunities to perform SL (full length or Black Swan) outside of ABT. Experience can only make her more ready should opportunity strike at the Met season. I really feel that she has come into her own artistically and is in her prime years. I hope she gets more than 5 (or maybe 7 if you count Harliquin possibilities) shows at the Met.

I'm  considering going to see the Natl Ballet of Cuba at the Kennedy Center, which conflicts w. ABT's Bayadere week.  I have no interest in seeing Hee Seo or Boylston as Nikiya, especially after having seen the ethereal Nikiya performances of the Mariinsky's Tereshkina and Kondaurova at the Kennedy Center a few weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, abatt said:

I'm  considering going to see the Natl Ballet of Cuba at the Kennedy Center, which conflicts w. ABT's Bayadere week.  I have no interest in seeing Hee Seo or Boylston as Nikiya, especially after having seen the ethereal Nikiya performances of the Mariinsky's Tereshkina and Kondaurova at the Kennedy Center a few weeks ago.

I won't be surprised to see a lot of Ballet Alerters at the KenCen! If you are one of their Friends ($60/year), tickets go on sale next Monday, November 6 at 10 am EST. After 3 Cubas (and, I hope, an open rehearsal), I'm planning to head up to NYC for Hallberg's Bayadere, the SAB Workshop rehearsal, and the NYCB season closer on Sunday (all-Balanchine!). Also, the Teuscher/Ahn/Trenary Bayadere and, of course, the Harlequinade premiere on Monday. A worthwhile trip for out-of-towners.

Edited by California

I'm curious to know whether Lane completed the 32 fouettes during her performance with the Kremlin ballet.  Can anyone tell me?  When I saw her in SL with ABT, it wasn't just that she didn't finish them, it's that she seemed utterly crushed for the rest of the act.  I'd love for her to have completed them this time and hope that will give her some confidence.

3 hours ago, minervaave said:

I'm curious to know whether Lane completed the 32 fouettes during her performance with the Kremlin ballet.  Can anyone tell me?  When I saw her in SL with ABT, it wasn't just that she didn't finish them, it's that she seemed utterly crushed for the rest of the act.  I'd love for her to have completed them this time and hope that will give her some confidence.

Here is an Instagram clip of Sarah’s fouetté sequence from her Swan Lake with Kremlin ballet: