This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

2 hours ago, nanushka said:

Great to see Hoven, Forster and Shayer getting leads!

But Hammoudi still...why? That ship has sailed and sunk.

Yes to all of this!

Instead of Hammoudi, it should have been Royal.

I really thought Brandt would be cast as Columbine too (instead of Copeland).

It'll be good to see Lane/Cirio together; will they have chemistry? I hope so; it would be good for both of them if that partnership takes off.

This will be Shayer's year. With all of the leads and secondary leads that he's been getting, especially since last year, he has to be promoted this summer.

14 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Yes to all of this!

Instead of Hammoudi, it should have been Royal.

I really thought Brandt would be cast as Columbine too (instead of Copeland).

It'll be good to see Lane/Cirio together; will they have chemistry? I hope so; it would be good for both of them if that partnership takes off.

This will be Shayer's year. With all of the leads and secondary leads that he's been getting, especially since last year, he has to be promoted this summer.

Yes, yes - agree about Brandt. My guess is she is understudying. Obviously any chance to cast Copeland is taken for the sake of ticket sales. I don't blame ABT. I still wish Lane was cast more.  The practice of making dancers wait so long for roles doesn't serve anyone well. I believe that Julie Kent hanging on for so long did the company a disservice.  

10 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

So Copeland and Boylston are dancing every full-length ballet. That plus Firebird, which means they're on every single week, and most of the time they're on twice a week. Wow, good luck...

Yep. Though, Teuscher is right behind them and frequently cast twice too; the only ballet she's not cast in is Harlequinade. Shevchenko is close behind Teuscher. 

Megan Fairchild danced four performances of Swanhilde at Saratoga Springs one weekend.  Noelani Pantastico danced nine (if I remember correctly) performances of Juliet over ten days, including double-headers.  Both lived!

Dancing twice a week, even in full-lengths, is vacation for NYCB dancers :)

NYCB doesn't do two months straight of nearly all full-lengths like ABT's Met season. When NYCB dancers dance twice a week it's in shorter ballets, with the infrequent exception like Coppelia or R&J or Nutcracker. Carrying a two-hour ballet week after week (after week) is a different animal.

5 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Brandt has been cast at the last TBA Maiden in Firebird on May 23, 25 according to the Met Opera's website. (Still TBA on ABT's site, of course.)

That's good to hear. It seems she is getting short shrift this season, which is surprising given her last-minute and remarkable performance as Medora last year. I'm hoping the AD will make it up to her next season by giving her a Kitri and a couple of other leading roles.

Brandt is debuting as Gamzatti this season (same as Trenary), but yeah I still wish she was getting a little more.

There are still two TBA's for Mercedes. Paris will still be out on maternity (I'm assuming), and she's normally cast. So, maybe Brandt will get one.

22 hours ago, abatt said:

Casting is posted for Harlequinade.  Also, the male lead for the Saturday matinee of SL has been filled in.  The role will be danced by Simkin.

Re Harlequinade:  It will be Lane/Cirio/Abrera/Forster for me. That was easy.

Hi everyone-

I haven't been able to make it to ABT in a couple of years, and I have a few questions for the group:

1) Which principals and soloists should I aim to see, having been away?

2) Which performance of Harlequinade should I aim to see?

3) Which performance of Whipped Cream should I aim to see? And, for those who have already seen it once or twice, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the ballet itself.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, opinions and advice! Paris.

7 hours ago, pbl said:

Hi everyone-

I haven't been able to make it to ABT in a couple of years, and I have a few questions for the group:

1) Which principals and soloists should I aim to see, having been away?

2) Which performance of Harlequinade should I aim to see?

3) Which performance of Whipped Cream should I aim to see? And, for those who have already seen it once or twice, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the ballet itself.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, opinions and advice! Paris.

Casting suggestions are of course very subjective, so I can only give you my opinions.

My suggestions:

Lane in Giselle. It's a Wednesday matinee, so may not be possible if you work weekdays. I'm taking the day off to see it. If you read the Giselle thread from last year, you'll see many of us talking about her triumphant and extraordinary debut in that role last year.

Murphy in SL (though her prince is an unfortunate choice), and DQ (Espada in her perf's is a newly promoted soloist, Royal, who is amazing). She's in her late 30's so she might not be dancing for many more years, so see her now. Though, she gets injured often so buyer beware.

I also agree with others above regarding Lane/Cirio in Harlequinade. Lane was also terrific in Whipped Cream, though I suspect Brandt and Trenary are too (two extremely promising soloists). WC is a charming ballet. Incredible sets/costumes. I didn't care for the music though.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, ABT Fan said:

Also, I thought Craig Salstein was supposed to return for the Met season, after his leave for Carousel. Anyone heard?

Maybe he'll take one, or both, or the TBA's for Mercutio. His Hilarion last year was outstanding.

Craig Salstein seems to have been removed from ABT's website, making it appear that this is not just a leave of absence.  Perhaps they would not give him the leave?   As we all know, NYCB has been very generous giving leave of absences to their dancers for Broadway (and KC) runs.

On 3/6/2018 at 1:01 PM, ABT Fan said:

Pollack and Ramasar are also in the cast: http://carouselbroadway.com/#bios

I am very excited to see Craig, Brittany and Amar in Carousel!  I have tickets for the show in early April.

I’ve never tried it before, but I think I’ve heard some of you say that subscribers are able to buy single tickets during exchange week. 

So far this year I have only bought a “create your own” series for ABT, but I still have a subscription card for exchanging tickets.   Does anyone know if I can just buy additional tickets at the box office during the exchange week?  As of now, I don’t want to trade in any of my subscription tickets so I can’t combine it with an exchange transaction.

Like many of you, I don’t want to get stuck with too many cast changes.  I’m not planning to buy all of my tickets at once but I wanted to get a jump on a few more tickets which may sell heavily or go up in price. 

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

Does anyone know if I can just buy additional tickets at the box office during the exchange week?  As of now, I don’t want to trade in any of my subscription tickets so I can’t combine it with an exchange transaction.

You can call the Met box office today from 12-6, 212-362-6000. Whatever they tell you, call again just to confirm