This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Corsaire Live Webcast of Today

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/198/roles/#20171022180000

Curious regarding whether members are able to receive it in the US and UK. Today I was

able to stream it in HD quality for the first time for 95 % of the time. Cast was the same

cast I saw live past Thursday - Krysanova excellent once again as Medora and Hahlova

also excellent as Gulnare. Laparevich as the Pasha and Yanin as Lanquedem :  I am won-

dering whether this level of characterisation can be "learned" ...... these artists must surely

have something innate !

We have it in theatres with a 1 hour lag time. I live in NYC, and I know at minimum, three theatres showing this (because I was deciding which theatre to go to). The audience for this was quite old and I heard quite a few snoring during the second act. 

I personally enjoyed the production. Tsvirko is not my favorite dancer but he is a good actor and this role suited him perfectly, highlighting his strength and power. Krysanova was excellent as Medora. All the leads were excellent in fact. Khokhlova (btw, you can hear the linguistically proficient Novikova clearly pronouncing the name) didn’t grab me at first but was much better in the third act. Great to see Lopatin, whose dancing I love (even if his looks preclude him from many leading parts). 

I am a great admirer of Novikova... thought her dress was stunning, but missed the "tap on the back: wrap it up" cue of an earlier Bolshoi live stream... thought that was charming.... here they were clearly talking in her ears, but she coped well.

I had a little difficulty following the Ratmansky interview... what was the new part he inserted in the third act?  Was it the entire pas with the feathery fans?  They kept saying what it was but my French is too basic to catch the term... Pas de What?

Was the first act tempo a little faster than it had been rehearsed?

was anyone else's livestream's audio off by a fraction?  I found myself watching to see if the footfalls matched what we were seeing on stage...  

Costume design was gorgeous, just stunning, but I wish the bottom layers of the tutus were a little less springy... it seemed a lot of the footage was shot with the camera at the dancers' knee level so that we were looking up the skirts and the view was distracting.

I am happy to say that most of the camera decisions were invisible... they clearly worked hard to make the kidnapping scene frame just right.  At times I wished they would allow the dancers just a little more space to dance in, but that the camera was rarely distracting is evidence of how well shot the production was.

i wish very much that in their intermission bytes that they would decode the pantomime gestures... there several here that I was a little mystified by...  is there a history to the slave pose of fingertips to chest?  Keep your hands out of yuor pockets and visible at all times, ready to serve?

The pas de Odalisques was one of the high points...   person next to me whispered in awe "so that's what brisés are supposed to look like!"

finally... does the boat never rock in the storm?  I thought remembered reading once somewhere how a detachment of calvary(?) would be ordered to duty at the theater to pull the ropes to rock the boat during the storm.  This is the first time I have seen the whole production (have caught bits on the micro screen) and I had always wondered how the dancers moved on a rocking surface...  here the dancers clung to things as if the boat were rocking but the looked as placid as if it were sitting in a small ponf on a still day (until it cracked in two).  So... it never did rock? Or not in recent memory?

we were given a printed program, but I swear it was practically in font point size 3... i will have to find my magnifying glass...

[watched in Connecticut]

Edited by Amy Reusch
3 hours ago, Amy Reusch said:

Was it the entire pas with the feathery fans?  They kept saying what it was but my French is too basic to catch the term... Pas de What?

Yes, the "Pas des Eventailles (fans)" in the third act. What he said was that this was originally in the

place of the famous Pdd in the second scene but the choreo was lost so this part is totally new

choreo by Ratmansky. Don't you think he made an excellent job and it looks like original Petipa ??

3 hours ago, Amy Reusch said:

it seemed a lot of the footage was shot with the camera at the dancers' knee level so that we were looking up the skirts and the view was distracting.

The three main cameras are placed at the center and sides of the first row, which is below stage level when seated

so you a miss lot of the footwork. On my very first visit I was seated just next to the camera on the right side and

right behind the huge bass drum and cymbals ...... at Swan Lake !

6 hours ago, Deflope said:

Tsvirko is not my favorite dancer but he is a good actor and this role suited him perfectly, highlighting his strength and power. Krysanova was excellent as Medora. All the leads were excellent in fact. Khokhlova (btw, you can hear the linguistically proficient Novikova clearly pronouncing the name) didn’t grab me at first but was much better in the third act. Great to see Lopatin, whose dancing I love (even if his looks preclude him from many leading parts). 

Tsvirko may not have the allure of say Chudin or Rodkin but he seems to be a "jack and master of all roles". One thing I like at the Balshoy is

how a principal or leading soloist dances the lead one night and a bit part the next. Tsvirko is my default "Fool" in Swan Lake, stellar artistic

and athletic performer of this role. Agree that Hahlova may not grab in the first act but boy imho she really shines in the third act - I promoted

her to my joint default Gulnare, joining Tixomirova.