This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Martha Argerich Performing Prokofiev and Ravel

Well worth watching on Medici.TV:

Sir Antonio Pappano conducts Verdi, Prokofiev, and Respighi – With Martha Argerich
Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia (Rome)

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/sir-antonio-pappano-conducts-verdi-prokofiev-and-respighi-martha-argerich/

Registering is free, and this concert program is currently available to be watched by non-subscription users.

"It is one of the most important concerts of the end of the year: Martha Argerich returns to Carnegie Hall for the first time in nine years to play one of her specialties, Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 3. She is joined by Rome's Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, returning to the celebrated venue after a 48-year absence."

Program
    Giuseppe Verdi, Aida Sinfonia
    Sergei Prokofiev, Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Major, Op. 26
    Maurice Ravel, Ma mère l'Oye
    Ottorino Respighi, Fontane di Roma
    Ottorino Respighi, Pini di Roma
    Jean Sibelius, Valse triste
    Gioachino Rossini, Guillaume Tell Overture

I watched this earlier today and really enjoyed it.

She played a couple of times in Paris this year but not in rep that interested me so I passed on attending.

It's amazing how Argerich hasn't lost any of her technique despite being 76 years old (neither has Nelson Freire), while her esteemed colleague Pollini's once legendary mechanism has become frayed.

I saw Pappano and the band play those Respighi (and the same encores) when they toured with Yuja Wang in May and they made a big impression on me.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:14 PM, ballet_n00b said:

I watched this earlier today and really enjoyed it.

She played a couple of times in Paris this year but not in rep that interested me so I passed on attending.

It's amazing how Argerich hasn't lost any of her technique despite being 76 years old (neither has Nelson Freire), while her esteemed colleague Pollini's once legendary mechanism has become frayed.

I saw Pappano and the band play those Respighi (and the same encores) when they toured with Yuja Wang in May and they made a big impression on me.

I agree - Argerich continues to boggle the mind. I always enjoy Respighi's Fountains and Pines of Rome, but the orchestra and conducting seemed particularly good in this performance.