This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Miami City Ballet Drops Schumacher Commission from Fall for Dance

Ten days ago, Marina Harss tweeted about Troy Schumacher's upcoming commissions and her article in October "Dance Magazine":

The link to the article is here:

http://www.dancemagazine.com/troy-schumacher-on-premiering-three-ballets-in-just-four-weeks-2485660878.html

Tell me about your Fall for Dance* commission.

I've been wanting to work with dancers besides my colleagues from City Ballet for a while. I was always kind of secretly hoping Miami City Ballet would be the first, because they exemplify a lot of things that I like: musicality, athleticism and personality.

The Instagram photo of Schumacher working with Miami City Ballet dancers is dated August 1.

But then the * (updated):

*UPDATE: Miami City Ballet will not be performing Schumacher's new work at Fall For Dance.

One post dated August 2 is listed as "Day 3", and the last, posted from August 10 reads, "My last night here in Miami."

This reads that a presenting organization commissioned a work, allowed the choreographer to choose the dancers, and then let those dancers' company remain on the schedule to dance a different work, in this case Polyphonia, at least as of today.

https://www.nycitycenter.org/pdps/fall-for-dance/

Fall for Dance might have kept the commission on the program* instead of the company, so they made their choice, but the contracts may have been signed by then.

*If it could be made in < two weeks, he could have taught it to other dancers before October 3.   It's a prime gig, and I'm sure there would have been many dancers who would have been willing.

That's odd. I saw a rehearsal of the NYCB premiere today. The dancers were Alberda, Applebaum, Blutt, Likolani Brown, Farley, Hod, Hoxha, Kikta, Claire Kretzschmar, Mann, Sanz, Segin, Staker and Walker. (I didn't remember all this but am referring to the list we were given!)