This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Met season

So this is interesting. Skylar Brandt and Aran Bell have been rehearsing R&J, coached by Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocco, courtesy of a foundation grant and the JKO School. Maybe this is just a study opportunity, but since they're doing R&J next Spring, does this mean that Brandt is also doing Juliet? If so, why isn't she rehearsing with her Romeo? There's no way they'd have Bell, a corps dancer who hasn't even done any soloist roles, do Romeo. He's been doing a lot of rehearsing with Brandt and Lane lately (see their Instagrams) which just looks like a great rehearsal opp. With Lane they were doing SL, but that was to help her prepare for her perf with the Kremlin Ballet tonight. But, Ferri/Bocca? Pulling out the big guns only to rehearse?

Edited by ABT Fan

Didn't Sarah Lane do something quite similar with Ferri maybe 5 years back? It certainly didn't lead to anything very immediate that time, so I don't know that this necessarily means Skylar Brandt will dance Juliet this year. Of course it's possible, but I just don't view this as a particularly strong indicator.

7 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Didn't Sarah Lane do something quite similar with Ferri maybe 5 years back? It certainly didn't lead to anything very immediate that time, so I don't know that this necessarily means Skylar Brandt will dance Juliet this year. Of course it's possible, but I just don't view this as a particularly strong indicator.

Yep. But, Lane was firmly stuck in soloist purgatory then so I didn't think much of it. Brandt is on an upward trajectory it seems. Still, I'm on the fence too about what if anything this means and I'm not familiar with this grant. Someone commented on Instagram that the evening was terrific, so maybe this was just for a special event of some sort. But, I can't help but wonder if we'll see her do this next spring.

4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Yep. But, Lane was firmly stuck in soloist purgatory then so I didn't think much of it. Brandt is on an upward trajectory it seems. Still, I'm on the fence too about what if anything this means and I'm not familiar with this grant. Someone commented on Instagram that the evening was terrific, so maybe this was just for a special event of some sort. But, I can't help but wonder if we'll see her do this next spring.

Just want to comment that Bell has been a busy partner. Sarah Lane posted several instagram videos in SL rehearsals being coached by Irina & Max. Lane was going to Russia to perform (is there now) and Bell was partnering her in preparations.

Isabelle Guerin, one of the great Etoiles of the POB during the Nureyev Directorship, is presently staging Other Dances for ABT. I hope Kevin Mc or someone else would be able to persuade her to join the coaching  staff of ABT. I understand that she lives in NYC with her family. With all the talented dancers coming up, ABT needs an additional coach. Irina K won't be able to coach everyone. Just a thought...

23 minutes ago, bingham said:

Isabelle Guerin, one of the great Etoiles of the POB during the Nureyev Directorship, is presently staging Other Dances for ABT. I hope Kevin Mc or someone else would be able to persuade her to join the coaching  staff of ABT. I understand that she lives in NYC with her family. With all the talented dancers coming up, ABT needs an additional coach. Irina K won't be able to coach everyone. Just a thought...

I have no opinion on Guerin becoming an ABT coach, but agree that the company seems short on coaching. I look at NYCB and see so many dancers with history with the company on the coaching staff. Is it a monetary problem with ABT?

2 hours ago, vipa said:

I have no opinion on Guerin becoming an ABT coach, but agree that the company seems short on coaching. I look at NYCB and see so many dancers with history with the company on the coaching staff. Is it a monetary problem with ABT?

It is always a monetary problem with ABT but, surely, one of the members of the board can sponsor an additional coach.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:08 PM, ABT Fan said:

So this is interesting. Skylar Brandt and Aran Bell have been rehearsing R&J, coached by Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocco, courtesy of a foundation grant and the JKO School. Maybe this is just a study opportunity, but since they're doing R&J next Spring, does this mean that Brandt is also doing Juliet? If so, why isn't she rehearsing with her Romeo? There's no way they'd have Bell, a corps dancer who hasn't even done any soloist roles, do Romeo. He's been doing a lot of rehearsing with Brandt and Lane lately (see their Instagrams) which just looks like a great rehearsal opp. With Lane they were doing SL, but that was to help her prepare for her perf with the Kremlin Ballet tonight. But, Ferri/Bocca? Pulling out the big guns only to rehearse?

I highly doubt this is for ABT. I think it's for guesting gigs elsewhere. ABT has three new principal dancers all of whom have never performed Juliet with the company. So they (most likely Sarah and Christine) would be cast before Skyler and of course, Misty will be cast, Hee Seo, and probably Isabella and Gillian too. That doesn't leave room for any soloists this year.