This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suzane Farrell Ballet at Purchase December 3, 2017

Jack Reed

Let's remember that in the past the Kennedy Center has held preview performances of excerpts of TSFB's seasons in their Millennium Stage series in the foyer there a couple of weeks in advance, and these previews are livestreamed and most of them have been archived on the K. C. website.  They are excerpts, they are previews, and the dancing continues to develop by the time of the performances in the theater, but, nevertheless ...

Edited by Jack Reed
2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Let's remember that in the past the Kennedy Center has held preview performances of excerpts of TSFB's seasons in their Millennium Stage series in the foyer there a couple of weeks in advance, and these previews are livestreamed and most of them have been archived on the K. C. website.  They are excerpts, they are previews, and the dancing continues to develop by the time of the performances in the theater, but, nevertheless ...

I certainly hope there will be another Millennium Stage broadcast, but, this being the END of the entire project, I think KC needs to step up and film the proceedings - and do a commercial release. Personally I think someone like Frederick Wiseman should have been asked to document the last "season" for posterity. But at least KC should film performances to create a commemorative DVD release. Anything else is going to seem rather appalling.

5 hours ago, pherank said:

I certainly hope there will be another Millennium Stage broadcast, but, this being the END of the entire project, I think KC needs to step up and film the proceedings - and do a commercial release. Personally I think someone like Frederick Wiseman should have been asked to document the last "season" for posterity. But at least KC should film performances to create a commemorative DVD release. Anything else is going to seem rather appalling.

This would depend on the works being performed, and the dancer's contracts -- I've no idea what kind of hoops Pacific Northwest Ballet had to jump through to get the rights to live-stream Carrie Imler and Bakthurel Bold's retirement show last June, but I imagine it was a goodly amount of paperwork and fees.

11 hours ago, pherank said:

The words "commercial release" and "classical arts" do not compute for the current Kennedy Center management team. Perhaps if it were a general Dance DVD blending hip-hop, modern and ballet excerpts, it would fly?