This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Building New Ballet Audiences

1 hour ago, dirac said:

In separate orbits and watching on their separate gadgets.  

(I think of the child of a friend who was frustrated when she watched a show on TV and couldn't watch it again immediately. It wasn't on a digital loop.)

Other times and other assumptions -- I ran up to the television during a screening of The Wizard of Oz to bang on the side of the set, commanding the Wicked Witch to let Dorothy go.  My parents had to explain to me that there were not miniature characters inside the set acting it all out.

Getting back to this, as I just finished a report for a Fortune 100 client where we recommended more cultural involvement, given that their target audience shows an interest in the arts and cultural engagements have historically been very effective for our B2B clients. 

My personal opinion on the Kennedy Center Honors show is that 1) awards shows are on the decline overall and 2) the type of performers reflects the trends in culture.  I think as time goes on you will see less of a presence from the performing arts as it is going to be hard for someone to make an argument that, say, Peter Martins had as large of an impact on American Culture as Madonna. 

What does B2B mean (in the context of arts programming)?  As an audience member, I've noticed ABT sells much better than City Ballet at the Kennedy Center.  The DC audience appears to be more interested in story ballets than mixed bills, but I hope City Ballet continues to bring predominately Balanchine mixed bills.  I will say it's easier for me to get non-balletomane DC friends to go to ABT or Mariinsky than any other company.

What I mean by B2B is that the audience for the arts ( and I include visual arts in this) is more likely to be affluent and have business decision making authority, making the arts an attractive platform for a B2B company to reach its target audience. 

One of our clients ended up doing a theatre sponsorship where they funded free outdoor performances during the summer. It ended up improving the client's reputation considerably, the turn out was quite good and the theatres got quite a decent amount of inquiries about upcoming performances.