This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Talicia Martins, daughter of Peter Martins and Darci Kistler is in trouble...

I would be quite surprised if parents withheld their students from SAB based on Talicia Martins's drug challenges. Peter Martins was in the news for alleged wife abuse back in the years when I sent my daughter to SAB. It didn't figure at all as one of my concerns (whereas crossing NYC streets was the #1 worry - my daughter then was a country bumpkin). Administrative staff run the day-to-day school operations. That abuse issue didn't even flicker once across my mind and I never heard it mentioned by any other parents. 

Denial is a huge obstacle for both the addict and their loved ones to overcome. Peter's reaction is not at all atypical. I hope he gets his daughter the help he needs, even if that means stepping back a bit from NYCB. 

Edited by canbelto
1 hour ago, abatt said:

Theoretically, this should have been a private, family matter.  However, since both Peter and Darci are very public figures here in NYC and elsewhere, the story made headlines everywhere.  Does anyone think this episode may have a negative impact on NYCB or SAB.   Kids from far and wide come to SAB, frequently without their family members.  If you read some articles given by former SAB students (such as Sophie Flack at the time her contract was not renewed by SAB) , they sometimes refer to their SAB teachers and instructors, including Peter Martins,  as surrogate parental type figures.  Fairly or unfairly, this incident may cause some parents  to take a hard look at whether to send their kids alone to NYC to attend SAB. 

Martins and Kistler are so intimately tied to SAB, that a personal incident such as this could have repercussions on the institution.  The argument goes something like  if they can't manage what happens to their own kid under their own roof, how can I expect them to act responsibly in leading my own kid.

I suggest that any argument that went that way would not be a very good argument. Kistler and Martins aren’t the ones with the drug problem. Ms. Martins isn’t a kid, she’s a 21-year-old college student. Mom and Dad aren’t necessarily responsible for everything that goes wrong in a child’s life and they can’t always fix everything that goes wrong in a child’s life.

You’d have a better argument if there was a drug problem at SAB. Talicia Martins has never even been a student there AFAIK.

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

Denial is a huge obstacle for both the addict and their loved ones to overcome. Peter's reaction is not at all atypical. I hope he gets his daughter the help he needs, even if that means stepping back a bit from NYCB. 

One offhand remark to a reporter is not proof of denial. Perhaps we are letting speculation get a little out of hand here.

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Does anyone think this episode may have a negative impact on NYCB or SAB.   Kids from far and wide come to SAB, frequently without their family members.  ...  Fairly or unfairly, this incident may cause some parents  to take a hard look at whether to send their kids alone to NYC to attend SAB. 

I suspect New York makes parents take a hard look at sending their kids alone to New York. 

I live near NYU, which is smack-dab in the middle of temptation central: whatever kind of trouble one might have a mind to wander into is there for the asking a mere two blocks away, and it's open all night. I've seen more than one parent standing on the corner glazed with panic on dorm move-in day. 

I gather that SAB's student dorms have 24 hour live-in adult supervision, which must be at least some comfort to the parents of prospective students; and I suspect a fair number of them are acquainted with a minister or sheriff's kid who can't seem to stay out of trouble and know the limits of parental influence. Apparently, Lucien Postlewaite's PNB career can at least in part be credited to SAB's drug and alcohol policies: "I was offered an apprenticeship with the company. One night I went out celebrating with friends, drinking, and got caught when I returned to the dorms. I lost my apprenticeship and was sent home: the poster child for the school's new drugs and alcohol program." 

In any event, it seems that suburban and small-town America are as hard-hit by the opioid crisis as my beloved urban hell-hole. Having been one once, I can attest to the adolescent's ability to get into trouble just about anywhere.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

I'm happy to grant Ms. Martins and her family their privacy, but Lordy! can I give that NY Post article one big giant eye roll:

The socialite daughter of a New York City ballet power couple traded in her evening gowns for a cat-burglar outfit to allegedly rob a string of shops in Maine — and now she could be headed for prison stripes, it was revealed Monday.

Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh out loud or just throw down my pen and slow clap in admiration.

8 hours ago, abatt said:

True, it was probably an off the cuff remark that was not planned. However, given his stature and his leadership positions at important institutions, he should have had the presence of mind to choose his words  carefully.  With leadership comes great responsibility.

To me it looks like he was caught by reporters asking him painful and intimate questions, and he wanted to end the questions. That seems natural to me, regardless of his leadership position.  If I was worried about my daughter's drug habit, arrests, etc. I can't imagine having the presence of mind to choose my words carefully at every moment. Let's give it time and see if he has an official statement.

I want to add that drug abuse issues occur even in loving families with great parenting. 

17 hours ago, abatt said:

That's exactly the type of writing the NY Post is known for.  You haven't made it as a social misfit until you've made it to Page Six of the Post.  Talicia made it to the cover story.

While the lede doesn't top the absolute perfection of  "Headless Body in Topless Bar," there's a kind of breeziness to it that evokes the big-screen screwball comedy depiction of journalism in a bygone era, featuring madcap heiresses, fast-talking dames, and cigar-chomping copy desk veterans pounding away on typewriters. You can practically see Barbara Stanwyck racing to the phone to dictate her story to the copy desk before the late edition closes.

Of course the real story is sadder than that, and would be much sadder still for a young man or woman without Ms. Martins' financial and social resources, as the Post's readership is probably keenly aware.

I think most people are aware that drug use is a serious and complicated problem.  I don't think it's OK to speculate and read into a statement like "she's fine".  Frankly, the whole situation is none of our business.  I hate how celebrities get hounded.  It in no way affects ballet students at SAB.

Balletwannabe, thanks for posting. I think perhaps you mean “drug abuse” and not “drug use,” which in and of itself is not necessarily harmful (?)

Celebrity status tends to cut both ways, but most prominent and influential people will admit that overall it’s pretty cool to be prominent and influential. There are tradeoffs, and this kind of unwelcome attention, as opposed to the red carpet attention to which the Martins family are accustomed, is one of them.

23 hours ago, abatt said:

Theoretically, this should have been a private, family matter.  However, since both Peter and Darci are very public figures here in NYC and elsewhere, the story made headlines everywhere.  Does anyone think this episode may have a negative impact on NYCB or SAB.   Kids from far and wide come to SAB, frequently without their family members.  If you read some articles given by former SAB students (such as Sophie Flack at the time her contract was not renewed by SAB) , they sometimes refer to their SAB teachers and instructors, including Peter Martins,  as surrogate parental type figures.  Fairly or unfairly, this incident may cause some parents  to take a hard look at whether to send their kids alone to NYC to attend SAB. 

Martins and Kistler are so intimately tied to SAB, that a personal incident such as this could have repercussions on the institution.  The argument goes something like  if they can't manage what happens to their own kid under their own roof, how can I expect them to act responsibly in leading my own kid.

Even if  we assume that no parent of an SAB  student expects any kind of caregiving role  from either Kistler and Martins, having them embroiled in this public relations fiasco cannot be good for SAB or NYCB.  Martins is the face of the institutions.

We know several students who attend SAB and  DD did the summer program 2 years. It could impact students in the Advanced Divisions who travel to board in NYC. 

Ironically, this was a very "low" year at SAB as there were not  a lot of spaces available for "Winter Term." 

It could impact the School but not likely. I mean Martins himself had a DUI. Although Martins is chairman of the faculty he is more the face of the COMPANY.  Mazzo (Co-chairman) is the face of the SCHOOL.  A difference.

Honestly,  Kistler does not have a reputation as a "caregiver" at all.  Great teacher, but not her vibe.  Her primary identity is an ex NYCB principal.

SAB recently kicked out kids for drug use. Along with several other infractions, there's near 0 tolerance unless Martins REALLY wants you.  It's there like it is in most American high schools. 

Edited by balletforme
21 minutes ago, dirac said:

Balletwannabe, thanks for posting. I think perhaps you mean “drug abuse” and not “drug use,” which in and of itself is not necessarily harmful (?)

Celebrity status tends to cut both ways, but most prominent and influential people will admit that overall it’s pretty cool to be prominent and influential. There are tradeoffs, and this kind of unwelcome attention, as opposed to the red carpet attention to which the Martins family are accustomed, is one of them.

Yes dirac, thank you for correcting me on that, I did mean drug abuse.

23 minutes ago, Helene said:

As far as Ballet Alert! is concerned, if it's official news from an official source, it is valid to discuss here.  Period.

If you don't think it should be discussed, don't discuss it or the discussion.

I apologize; I'm sensitive about this particular topic, so I'll just bow out of the discussion.

4 hours ago, dirac said:

Slap on the wrist. Let's hope she can benefit from it.

I too hope she can benefit from it, and that she fully understands the privileges that are part of her life. Many would have suffered more serious consequences 

I continue to feel my heart go out to this young woman and her family. Looking back on "twenty one" - which I believe to be her age - I can recall most vividly how lost I was during my formative years, as well. Considering, too, the enormity of her parents contribution to the world of dance, I would hope that the family can find a fresh new beginning together devoid of condemnation and guilt but rather charged with a new vision and love for one another.