This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Talicia Martins, daughter of Peter Martins and Darci Kistler is in trouble...

Not sure if this is the right place for this information but The New York Daily News has this little tidbit concerning Talicia Martins' arrest for burglary in Maine:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/daughter-famous-new-york-ballet-stars-arrested-burglaries-article-1.3393432

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/08/07/news/police-beat/socialite-daughter-of-famous-ballet-couple-busted-for-maine-burglaries/?ref=polbeat

The New York Post states that Talicia Martins has a history of drug abuse including heroin:

http://nypost.com/2017/08/07/rich-daughter-of-ballet-stars-busted-in-burglary-spree/

Edited by FauxPas
Adding New York Post article

Let us note that drug use in the ballet world is hardly limited to sons and daughters of Peter Martins.

For the new study Hein interviewed some 55 of the ballet’s 92 employees, and was told about a widespread and growing cocaine problem in the corps and of cocaine abuse and erratic, abusive behaviour by artistic director Nikolaj Hübbe

If Ms. Martins is guilty as charged and these stories are accurate in other respects, I hope she receives appropriate punishment that is not excessively punitive and treatment for her problems. Best wishes to the family in this difficult time.

I saw that at another news site and was tempted to post it. But seeing as how I've been critical of Martins  in the past, I figured people would think I was being mean.

This whole thing is so bizarre. The story is begging to be made into an edgy indie film or a sensationalistic  Lifetime made-for-TV movie.

Edited by Tapfan
52 minutes ago, dirac said:

Let us note that drug use in the ballet world is hardly limited to sons and daughters of Peter Martins.

We could, of course, broaden more -- children of famous people, children of people, people...drug problems are frighteningly widespread and have been for a long time. The wealthy do have an advantage of being able to afford better care to cure their addictions than most.

It’s also easier for children of the rich and influential to put this sort of thing behind them and receive the benefit of the doubt from others, if they can succeed in getting it together. (Also to avoid getting caught in the first place.)

I see Ms. Martins is not a minor, and so adult criminal penalties may apply.

So sad to hear when anyone, famous parents or not, has an addiction. 

Very true, DC Export.

Well I hope Ms. Martins gets the help she needs. I hate to say it but being affluent and white gives one a huge advantage when it comes to these sorts of criminal charges. I have worked with a lot of minority youths who were sent away for long times for much lesser drug offenses. 

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Since I doubt Talicia lacks for money, why was she robbing these small businesses?  Cry for help?  Just plain stupid?  Parents keep track of every dollar spent to prevent drug purchases?  Bizarre.

A severe drug habit can run through even the thickest trust fund. Also they were in Maine. Probably needed a fix and realized they had no money. Very sad what addiction can do.

3 hours ago, canbelto said:

Well I hope Ms. Martins gets the help she needs. I hate to say it but being affluent and white gives one a huge advantage when it comes to these sorts of criminal charges. I have worked with a lot of minority youths who were sent away for long times for much lesser drug offenses. 

This is so true canbelto. I too have seen a great disparity in the treatment of individuals. Skin color and money play a big role in the way things play out in our justice system

Of course I wish the Martins family the best. In these cases there are no quick fixes or easy answers. It is painful for everyone involved.

One day, drug addiction will finally be widely recognized (most of the medical and many of the educational professionals know this) as not a moral failing, but the product of heredity. Some people's genes make them prone to addiction very quickly. While some might be able to experiment with drugs during adolescence and young adulthood without quickly becoming addicted, others don't fare so well. Two people can be the same size and weight and take the same drug at the same dose and yet one will become addicted while the other won't. And society ignorantly praises the one with "self-control" and looks down at the other person for lack of the same. 

I work with this population (often individuals with ADHD - usually highly creative people) before and sometimes during addiction, and my heart goes out to them and their families. 

Talicia Martins and her parents, Peter Martins and Darci Kistler, have my deepest compassion. I sincerely hope that she will be able to find her way back to sobriety. 

Edited by vagansmom
14 minutes ago, vagansmom said:

One day, drug addiction will finally be widely recognized (most of the medical and many of the educational professionals know this) as not a moral failing, but the product of heredity. Some people's genes make them prone to addiction very quickly. While some might be able to experiment with drugs during adolescence and young adulthood without quickly becoming addicted, others don't fare so well. Two people can be the same size and weight and take the same drug at the same dose and yet one will become addicted while the other won't. And society ignorantly praises the one with "self-control" and looks down at the other person for lack of the same. 

I work with this population (often individuals with ADHD - usually highly creative people) before and sometimes during addiction, and my heart goes out to them and their families. 

Talicia Martins and her parents, Peter Martins and Darci Kistler, have my deepest compassion. I sincerely hope that she will be able to find her way back to sobriety. 

This is neither here nor there but ironically ex-addicts often feed into this misconception because so much of therapy is often based on religion. As much as I admire Darryl Strawberry I cringe when he makes it seem like all he needed was a call from the man upstairs to get his act together, when he struggled with addiction off-and-on for decades. There's no easy answers, no neat packages, for these issues. And everyone around them is affected. 

As I said, I hope Peter Martins and his family find the resources to help their daughter. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

39 minutes ago, canbelto said:

s much as I admire Darryl Strawberry I cringe when he makes it seem like all he needed was a call from the man upstairs to get his act together, when he struggled with addiction off-and-on for decades. There's no easy answers, no neat packages, for these issues. And everyone around them is affected.

And for him, at that time, maybe that's "all" he needed, and that in itself doesn't deny the damage that his addictions did to others.  

It's not at all unusual for people to go between sobriety and using, and it often takes multiple attempts and different approaches to remain clean, all of which add up to overcoming the last hurdle.

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

This is neither here nor there but ironically ex-addicts often feed into this misconception because so much of therapy is often based on religion. As much as I admire Darryl Strawberry I cringe when he makes it seem like all he needed was a call from the man upstairs to get his act together,

I don't follow baseball and maybe Strawberry leaves a mistaken impression, but the 12-step programs which have helped untold number of addicts have, as most participants have "understood" them, a religious or, if you prefer, spiritual aspect. It's also interesting that while susceptibility to addiction is not a moral fault, and there but for the grace of God or whatever go those of us who don't struggle with it, recovery through these programs does have a strong moral component. 

Here's wishing all the best to Talicia and her family, and that they'll emerge from this stronger and closer.

Opioid dependence can be treated with one of several drug regimens -- aka medication assistance treatment, or MAT -- paired with behavioral therapy. (Note: 12-step programs are not the only form of behavioral therapy available to substance abusers; cognitive behavioral therapy has also proven successful in this context.) Alas, ready and affordable access to MAT regimens are often limited by the perception that addictive behaviors are first and foremost moral failings that can and should be overcome through right living and will power alone. The fact that opioid dependence is a fearsome thing to overcome, even with the best available therapies, means that there will inevitably be relapses -- which seems only to exacerbate the conviction that addicts simply lack the moral fibre to tackle their dependence. 

I hope that Ms. Martins and EVERY person burdened with drug dependence receives the treatment they need, both for their sakes and the sakes of their families and communities.

A great book on this subject of treating drug dependence successfully, especially in Portugal, is Jonathan Hari's "Chasing the Scream." 

The "Daily News" article says Martins had a previous arrest in June for possession of heroin and crack cocaine.  If she's using both, cross-addictions are treated differently than single addictions, much as bipolar disorder is now, thankfully, treated differently than depression. 

Theoretically, this should have been a private, family matter.  However, since both Peter and Darci are very public figures here in NYC and elsewhere, the story made headlines everywhere.  Does anyone think this episode may have a negative impact on NYCB or SAB.   Kids from far and wide come to SAB, frequently without their family members.  If you read some articles given by former SAB students (such as Sophie Flack at the time her contract was not renewed by SAB) , they sometimes refer to their SAB teachers and instructors, including Peter Martins,  as surrogate parental type figures.  Fairly or unfairly, this incident may cause some parents  to take a hard look at whether to send their kids alone to NYC to attend SAB. 

Martins and Kistler are so intimately tied to SAB, that a personal incident such as this could have repercussions on the institution.  The argument goes something like  if they can't manage what happens to their own kid under their own roof, how can I expect them to act responsibly in leading my own kid.

Even if  we assume that no parent of an SAB  student expects any kind of caregiving role  from either Kistler and Martins, having them embroiled in this public relations fiasco cannot be good for SAB or NYCB.  Martins is the face of the institutions.

Edited by abatt

On the contrary, arrests are public matters.

If parents didn't second-guess their decision to send their kids to SAB when Darci Kistler reported domestic violence -- she later dropped the charges -- I'm not sure why they would second-guess their decision because his daughter was arrested on drug charges.

Yes, that was a big mistake.  Martins should never have said "she's fine".  He should have said no comment or words to that effect.  The "she's fine" comment simply suggests that he is out of touch with reality.

Edited by abatt

True, it was probably an off the cuff remark that was not planned. However, given his stature and his leadership positions at important institutions, he should have had the presence of mind to choose his words  carefully.  With leadership comes great responsibility.