This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jewels: 22-23 Sep and 28 Sep-1 Oct

This afternoon was the final performance of "Jewels."  

Noelani Pantastico danced the "Diamonds" pas de deux with ease, majesty, and great clarity, and she and Seth Orza look fantastic together.  The Biasucci-Moore-Macy cast was again splendid, and there was a collective gasp when Macy made her 3rd movement entrance.  Christina Siemens again played the Stravinsky with wit and elegance.

Peter Boal has said in different Q&A's that PNB will bring it back in four-five years  or three years, and, for the most part, it's hard to imagine that many of the dancers we've seen in this run won't be back, but watching Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz in the "Emeralds" walking pas de deux, I had to wonder if it is five years, if we'll see them together again in this beautiful pas de deux.

It's only been a couple of hours, but "Jewels" withdrawal has begun. Sigh.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:22 AM, SandyMcKean said:

PNB just posted on Facebook a wonderful 20+ minute video (Lindsey Thomas, of course) compling a number of clips taken in 2014 when 4 of the original Jewels cast members (Violette Verdy, Mimi Paul, Edward Villella and Jacques d’Amboise) came to Seattle to coach PNB dancers. (I presume this video has been published before, but I don't remember it all together like this.)

This is a must see IMHO.  Here is the direct YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WZ1y9pSe7OM

PNB tweeted that "Jewels at 50" will be screened as part of the San Francisco Dance Film Festival on October 13.  The screening is a three-film series "explor[ing] the legacy of Balanchine and Bournonville" and includes Signe Roderik's "Bournonville Today" (2017) and "The Art of Silence" (2018).

http://www.sfdancefilmfest.org/2018-schedule/bournonville-balanchine/

I'm glad Lindsay Thomas' work will get more exposure and in a cinema setting.