volcanohunter

World Ballet Day Live - 5 October 2017

pherank   

I finally noticed that SFB also mentions that there will be "behind-the-scenes footage via Facebook Live!"

Just how that's going to work with the YouTube live stream, I don't know. Hopefully it is something that will remain posted to the SFB (presumably) Facebook page for  a number of weeks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXiu8rYFkzx/?taken-by=sfballet

Edited by pherank

Last year the event was streamed live on Facebook and on http://worldballetday.com rather than on YouTube. Later four of the companies posted archived versions on YouTube for viewing on demand, except for the Bolshoi, which posted its segment on its own video resource, which is cumbersome, requires logging in and where no one could possibly stumble upon it by accident. But it's Russian. :dry:

Edited by volcanohunter

sandik   
15 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

the Bolshoi, which posted its segment on its own video resource, which is cumbersome, requires logging in and where no one could possibly stumble upon it by accident.

Tangential comment -- your observation here, about coming across something by accident, really pinged something for me -- as more and more library use is mediated by online search engines, the serendipity of finding one thing when you had gone looking for something else seems to be waning.  But You Tube does have the equivalent of "finding something further down the shelf" in those links over on the side of the screen...

pherank   

Thanks for the reminder, Volcanohunter - I had actually forgotten the details of it all. I'm not a fan of "Facebook Live!" but we go where we have to go.

Sites like YouTube are, much like IKEA stores, a "vortex by design" - it's all about keeping the user in place longer, and longer, and longer...

That's true. YouTube suggests up to 40 other videos to watch, and I don't take up the suggestions all that often, but I've made some really splendid discoveries through those links.

I don't know how last year's live-on-Facebook numbers compared with previous years' live-on-YouTube numbers. Supposedly more people were "engaged," although I don't know how long the average viewing was. There were far more "on-demand" (i.e., YouTube) views than live views. I do recall that some people encountered streaming difficulties with the Facebook feeds. I would be curious to know how many on-demand views the Bolshoi's segment received after it was moved to a different site and behind a password. The Bolshoi's video site doesn't indicate how many times a video has been watched. I do know that the ballet class from Royal Ballet Live, the precursor of World Ballet Live, has been "viewed" on YouTube more than 3 million times, which is rather the point of doing these sorts of broadcasts. I think it's a safe bet that nothing on the Bolshoi's resource has been watched nearly as often. From the point of view of outreach or promotion, the Bolshoi's position counterproductive, but that's politics. Probably copyright, too. YouTube videos are easy enough to download. The Bolshoi hasn't shut down its YouTube channel. It's just the marquee streams that have become a lot less accessible.

As for 2017, it will be interesting to see what the National Ballet of Canada will do, since the company will be on tour in Paris on October 5. It has broadcast its segment on tour before, but this time it will be way outside its usual time zone. Instead of a continual relay around the world, there will be more of a zigzag across Europe. I think it could be fascinating to show a "countdown" to a performance rather than repeating the morning class+rehearsals format five times over, although I don't know how happy the dancers would be to have a camera roaming through the dressing rooms as they apply their makeup. I have a feeling the company will be ordering longer pre-recorded segments from its "guest" companies on the Eastern seaboard.

pherank   
1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

I do know that the ballet class from Royal Ballet Live, the precursor of World Ballet Live, has been "viewed" on YouTube more than 3 million times, which is rather the point of doing these sorts of broadcasts. I think it's a safe bet that nothing on the Bolshoi's resource has been watched nearly as often. From the point of view of outreach or promotion, the Bolshoi's position counterproductive, but that's politics. Probably copyright, too. YouTube videos are easy enough to download. The Bolshoi hasn't shut down its YouTube channel. It's just the marquee streams that have become a lot less accessible.

As for 2017, it will be interesting to see what the National Ballet of Canada will do, since the company will be on tour in Paris on October 5. It has broadcast its segment on tour before, but this time it will be way outside its usual time zone. Instead of a continual relay around the world, there will be more of a zigzag across Europe. I think it could be fascinating to show a "countdown" to a performance rather than repeating the morning class+rehearsals format five times over, although I don't know how happy the dancers would be to have a camera roaming through the dressing rooms as they apply their makeup. I have a feeling the company will be ordering longer pre-recorded segments from its "guest" companies on the Eastern seaboard.

I've seen plenty of comments about how much people enjoy watching the classes, and users have been unhappy about SFB editing away much of the class time in the "highlights" video they eventually release on YouTube. Felips Diaz runs such a great class that it is understandable for ballet aficionados to want to watch the entire thing.

Video of NBC in Paris would be especially interesting to me - I would love to see a "countdown to performance" as you mentioned.