This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ah, thanks.

It is wonderful to get to see class and some rehearsals!

Unfortunately, I never have time to watch the videos at this time of year - it is a super-busy time for me.I will make do with the highlights which remain so that I can watch bits and pieces over the xmas and soring holiddays. :) 

-d-

Different companies have different contractual obligations with regard to the period of time that lifestreams can stay up and with the length of the highlights videos. These matters are negotiated with the various unions that work with the companies as well as with the rights holders for the ballets and the music. 

3 hours ago, apollosmuse said:

Different companies have different contractual obligations with regard to the period of time that lifestreams can stay up and with the length of the highlights videos. These matters are negotiated with the various unions that work with the companies as well as with the rights holders for the ballets and the music. 

In other words, it's complicated.  ;)

Thanks for that information, Apollosmuse. I can't help but wonder though about the details (naturally): such as who benefits, and how, from removing rehearsal footage. I'm guessing that both the Robbins Foundation and the Balanchine Trust don't like to make long sections of performance footage available - although the Balanchine Trust finally seems to have relaxed their policies regarding videos appearing on YouTube and similar sites. I think they finally understood that this is free marketing that also keeps interest alive in the ballets. A significant number of people still don't see live performances of Balanchine and Robbins ballets, and online video is one way to inform the public about this work. The only real downside I've noticed is the proliferation of 'commentary' from Internet Trolls - and the truly uninformed but grouchy - but that could all be solved by eliminating comments entirely. That would force the people who genuinely want to discuss the subject to Forums and Blogs. Everyone else can throw things at their TV.

In fact, it might be a good idea for the big ballet companies to post videos with comments turned off, while providing a link to a web page listing the many available reputable (hopefully) forums for discussion.

It’s complicated :)

But all that also to say that the length of the highlights video is decided well before the livestream occurs and is not up to the video editor nor decided entirely by the company. Rights holders often don’t want full versions up, and many dancers also don’t want unedited rehearsal and class footage online. 

13 minutes ago, apollosmuse said:

But all that also to say that the length of the highlights video is decided well before the livestream occurs and is not up to the video editor nor decided entirely by the company. Rights holders often don’t want full versions up, and many dancers also don’t want unedited rehearsal and class footage online. 

Very interesting about the video length being decided well in advance. The WBD rehearsals of new works may have real historical significance one day, so I hope those videos don't disappear entirely into a black hole...

I only watched the Royal Ballet footage since that's the one I like best and it was so fun. They have the classes from the past years up but it makes me sad that the full streaming is no longer available for those who didn't see this in the past. It was really great to see so many principals in there and that Olga lady was awesome, though I prefer Brian Maloney, he sings the instructions.