This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I finally noticed that SFB also mentions that there will be "behind-the-scenes footage via Facebook Live!"

Just how that's going to work with the YouTube live stream, I don't know. Hopefully it is something that will remain posted to the SFB (presumably) Facebook page for  a number of weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/sfballet/videos/10155466123731293/

Sorry! I've just corrected the link!

Edited by pherank

Last year the event was streamed live on Facebook and on http://worldballetday.com rather than on YouTube. Later four of the companies posted archived versions on YouTube for viewing on demand, except for the Bolshoi, which posted its segment on its own video resource, which is cumbersome, requires logging in and where no one could possibly stumble upon it by accident. But it's Russian. :dry:

Edited by volcanohunter
15 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

the Bolshoi, which posted its segment on its own video resource, which is cumbersome, requires logging in and where no one could possibly stumble upon it by accident.

Tangential comment -- your observation here, about coming across something by accident, really pinged something for me -- as more and more library use is mediated by online search engines, the serendipity of finding one thing when you had gone looking for something else seems to be waning.  But You Tube does have the equivalent of "finding something further down the shelf" in those links over on the side of the screen...

Thanks for the reminder, Volcanohunter - I had actually forgotten the details of it all. I'm not a fan of "Facebook Live!" but we go where we have to go.

Sites like YouTube are, much like IKEA stores, a "vortex by design" - it's all about keeping the user in place longer, and longer, and longer...

That's true. YouTube suggests up to 40 other videos to watch, and I don't take up the suggestions all that often, but I've made some really splendid discoveries through those links.

I don't know how last year's live-on-Facebook numbers compared with previous years' live-on-YouTube numbers. Supposedly more people were "engaged," although I don't know how long the average viewing was. There were far more "on-demand" (i.e., YouTube) views than live views. I do recall that some people encountered streaming difficulties with the Facebook feeds. I would be curious to know how many on-demand views the Bolshoi's segment received after it was moved to a different site and behind a password. The Bolshoi's video site doesn't indicate how many times a video has been watched. I do know that the ballet class from Royal Ballet Live, the precursor of World Ballet Live, has been "viewed" on YouTube more than 3 million times, which is rather the point of doing these sorts of broadcasts. I think it's a safe bet that nothing on the Bolshoi's resource has been watched nearly as often. From the point of view of outreach or promotion, the Bolshoi's position counterproductive, but that's politics. Probably copyright, too. YouTube videos are easy enough to download. The Bolshoi hasn't shut down its YouTube channel. It's just the marquee streams that have become a lot less accessible.

As for 2017, it will be interesting to see what the National Ballet of Canada will do, since the company will be on tour in Paris on October 5. It has broadcast its segment on tour before, but this time it will be way outside its usual time zone. Instead of a continual relay around the world, there will be more of a zigzag across Europe. I think it could be fascinating to show a "countdown" to a performance rather than repeating the morning class+rehearsals format five times over, although I don't know how happy the dancers would be to have a camera roaming through the dressing rooms as they apply their makeup. I have a feeling the company will be ordering longer pre-recorded segments from its "guest" companies on the Eastern seaboard.

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

I do know that the ballet class from Royal Ballet Live, the precursor of World Ballet Live, has been "viewed" on YouTube more than 3 million times, which is rather the point of doing these sorts of broadcasts. I think it's a safe bet that nothing on the Bolshoi's resource has been watched nearly as often. From the point of view of outreach or promotion, the Bolshoi's position counterproductive, but that's politics. Probably copyright, too. YouTube videos are easy enough to download. The Bolshoi hasn't shut down its YouTube channel. It's just the marquee streams that have become a lot less accessible.

As for 2017, it will be interesting to see what the National Ballet of Canada will do, since the company will be on tour in Paris on October 5. It has broadcast its segment on tour before, but this time it will be way outside its usual time zone. Instead of a continual relay around the world, there will be more of a zigzag across Europe. I think it could be fascinating to show a "countdown" to a performance rather than repeating the morning class+rehearsals format five times over, although I don't know how happy the dancers would be to have a camera roaming through the dressing rooms as they apply their makeup. I have a feeling the company will be ordering longer pre-recorded segments from its "guest" companies on the Eastern seaboard.

I've seen plenty of comments about how much people enjoy watching the classes, and users have been unhappy about SFB editing away much of the class time in the "highlights" video they eventually release on YouTube. Felips Diaz runs such a great class that it is understandable for ballet aficionados to want to watch the entire thing.

Video of NBC in Paris would be especially interesting to me - I would love to see a "countdown to performance" as you mentioned.

On 8/15/2017 at 1:48 PM, volcanohunter said:

That's true. YouTube suggests up to 40 other videos to watch, and I don't take up the suggestions all that often, but I've made some really splendid discoveries through those links.

I don't know how last year's live-on-Facebook numbers compared with previous years' live-on-YouTube numbers. Supposedly more people were "engaged," although I don't know how long the average viewing was. There were far more "on-demand" (i.e., YouTube) views than live views. I do recall that some people encountered streaming difficulties with the Facebook feeds. I would be curious to know how many on-demand views the Bolshoi's segment received after it was moved to a different site and behind a password. The Bolshoi's video site doesn't indicate how many times a video has been watched. I do know that the ballet class from Royal Ballet Live, the precursor of World Ballet Live, has been "viewed" on YouTube more than 3 million times, which is rather the point of doing these sorts of broadcasts. I think it's a safe bet that nothing on the Bolshoi's resource has been watched nearly as often. From the point of view of outreach or promotion, the Bolshoi's position counterproductive, but that's politics. Probably copyright, too. YouTube videos are easy enough to download. The Bolshoi hasn't shut down its YouTube channel. It's just the marquee streams that have become a lot less accessible.

Thanks Volcanohunter for your post.  I'm ITA with you.  If I had my druthers, WBD would have never left youtube for Facebook live.

I previously missed this short Q&A with SFB's Emma Rubinowitz about

What It's Really Like to Be a Part of World Ballet Day LIVE
http://www.dancemagazine.com/35720-2307038433.html

I thought this was an interesting statement:
"We vote on whether or not we want to do it, and there are some people who would really rather not. But a lot of people look forward to it, especially people who work at SFB who come from other countries…"
I'd like to hear from the people who don't want to do the live streaming to find out their reasoning. I imagine it's just a personal thing about nervousness in front of the cameras, but is there something else? To me it is amazing that there are people who would let go of this p.r. and public education opportunity (I imagine they are not considering all of that).

On 8/25/2017 at 5:25 PM, pherank said:

I previously missed this short Q&A with SFB's Emma Rubinowitz about

What It's Really Like to Be a Part of World Ballet Day LIVE
http://www.dancemagazine.com/35720-2307038433.html

I thought this was an interesting statement:
"We vote on whether or not we want to do it, and there are some people who would really rather not. But a lot of people look forward to it, especially people who work at SFB who come from other countries…"
I'd like to hear from the people who don't want to do the live streaming to find out their reasoning. I imagine it's just a personal thing about nervousness in front of the cameras, but is there something else? To me it is amazing that there are people who would let go of this p.r. and public education opportunity (I imagine they are not considering all of that).

That's interesting...Nervousness in front of camera may be some of it, but I can imagine not wanting to participate even if one understood the P.R. value. That is, I don't know why particular dancers feel the way they do, but I can imagine, for example, preferring to keep one's work process private or enjoying being on stage as a performer but not caring to be observed 'behind the scenes' as one develops a performance. And the whole thing presumably drains energy from what they are really there to do.

Nowadays ballet P.R. involves a lot of 'when the make up is off' --it's demystifying. I can even imagine just not agreeing with that approach, thinking of it as reality T.V. 

I LOVE World Ballet Day and think it is kind of a genius idea for promoting ballet.. I certainly hope most involved (dancers, teachers, coaches, administrators) don't mind being part if it. But I can sort of 'get' why someone out there might not be crazy about it...

Edited by Drew

SFB has, fortunately, extended this approach to offer live videos from rehearsals for the 2018 UNBOUND Festival. These videos made during the "off" season (or in lieu of touring) are a great way of keeping the public aware of the companies and building anticipation for an event.

Dance performances are such a fleeting thing to begin with, so films/videos of the movements are essential - often that's all we have of a work, 20, 30 years down the road. The demise (temporary?) of the Nureyev project in Moscow, and the effect of Hurricane Harvey on Houston Ballet's schedule reminds me that all the planning and rehearsal in the world doesn't mean much to the general public if the work is never seen. Sh1t happens, and so it would be better for dance companies to have a Plan B: videos of their current work to be made available as needed. How great that we now have this kind of footage to enjoy and study:

Unbound LIVE: July 26, 2017 (rehearsal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTHLx-97iDo

Unbound LIVE: August 18, 2017 (rehearsal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l_rmYPwD70

I'm looking forward to seeing the National Ballet of Japan footage - a great addition!

Edited by pherank
7 hours ago, naomikage said:

I am very happy to learn that the National Ballet of Japan will be participating in World Ballet Day, included in the Australian Ballet's section. First Japanese company to appear there . 

As much as I enjoy watching my home town company participate, one of the real bonuses of the event is the chance to see companies that are new to me -- I'm glad to see that other companies are cycling into participation.

On 26.08.2017 at 0:25 AM, pherank said:

To me it is amazing that there are people who would let go of this p.r. and public education opportunity (I imagine they are not considering all of that).

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Nervousness in front if camera may be some of it, but I can imagine not wanting to participate even if one understood the P.R. value.

I am willing to bet that any ballet company has more than enough extroverts willing to rehearse in front of the camera so that the P.R. and educational aspects of a live stream are never in jeopardy, and the dancers who would rather not participate know it. During one Australian Ballet segment of World Ballet Day Live it was mentioned that the company conducted two morning classes simultaneously, but it was noted (with a laugh by AD David McAllister) that a majority of dancers opted for the studio with the cameras that day. 

And if you're Helgi Tomasson, and you're artistic director, you just have to grit your teeth and go through with it. :wink:

Edited by volcanohunter
1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

I am willing to bet that any ballet company has more than enough extroverts willing to rehearse in front of the camera so that the P.R. and educational aspects of a live stream are never in jeopardy, and the dancers who would rather not participate know it. During one Australian Ballet segment of World Ballet Day Live it was mentioned that the company conducted two morning classes simultaneously, but it was noted (with a laugh by AD David McAllister) that a majority of dancers opted for the studio with the cameras that day. 

And if you're Helgi Tomasson, and you're artistic director, you just have to grit your teeth and go through with it. :wink:

It's a hassle, to be sure, and an expense, but the benefits are numerous. I agree that the number of extroverts probably outnumbers the introverts - at least in front of the cameras. ;)

There are so many principal-level dancers, in the present day, whose performances have never been captured on film, or they are limited to 1 or 2 DVDs only to represent their entire career(!) that programs like WBD Live are a godsend - not just some extra 'nicety'.

Edited by pherank

The Australian Ballet hosted segment is currently live...

I'll just say that the National Ballet of Japan trailer was really interesting for me - I hadn't seen much footage of their dancers in the past. Speakers put much stress on the ensemble approach and general sense of teamwork at NBJ.

The Australian segment was great. But once again the Bolshoi blithely ignores the concept of "live" by showing recorded rehearsals of Etudes, which was performed last weekend, and Emeralds, which was performed the weekend before that. Come on.

Ditto Diamonds. This is an edited infomercial for Vaziev's young favorites and his wife. :dry:

Edited by volcanohunter

Of course, once you see Vaziev screaming and hollering during an apparently live rehearsal of La Bayadère, describing the corps' performance as "monstrous" and a "nightmare," you sort of understand why pre-recording may be a better option.

My most profound sympathies to the Bolshoi's dancers.

8 hours ago, pherank said:

I'll just say that the National Ballet of Japan trailer was really interesting for me - I hadn't seen much footage of their dancers in the past. Speakers put much stress on the ensemble approach and general sense of teamwork at NBJ.

So happy to hear this, although it was all pre-recorded material. They do have fabulous, world class dancers and their corps de ballet are one of the very best.

Also, they did a small snippet of their morning class on their Facebook live and it is available on their facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/nnttballet/

As in the past, the Royal Ballet is first to post its segment from WBD Live 2017.

World Ballet Day – The Royal Ballet (2017) Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmhlamsHW04

World Ballet Day – The Royal Ballet (2017) Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrS3oAJ3Eg

Oops - SFB has posted their segment as well (probably without edits!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-FE7tNQ48

Edited by pherank

People often wonder who they are looking at in the class sessions, so for SFB, I can identify the following (but please let me know who else you recognize, or if I mislabel any of the dancers). Blurry images are always difficult to work with, and easily half of the Corps dancers I can't put a name with a face. Missing from the class: Maria Kochetkova (performing in Copenhagen), Tiit Helimets, Carlo Di Lanno (appears later in the rehearsals), Sofiane Sylve (appears later in the rehearsals), Joseph Walsh and Frances Chung (performing together in Toronto), and a few others. As Helene pointed out, the rehearsals with Kochetkova, Walsh and Chung were taped earlier to fit dancer's schedules.

SFB_WBD_1.png

SFB_WBD_4.png

SFB_WBD_7.png

SFB_WBD_8.png

SFB_WBD_11.png

SFB_WBD_12.png

SFB_WBD_13.png

SFB_WBD_14.png

Edited by pherank

I think World Ballet Day is at risk of losing something of its unique character with too much pre-recorded material--I have defended the Bolshoi's use of pre-recorded material for World Ballet Day in the past because this is a largely "anglophone" event, but this year was just too much. By far and away the best part of the Bolshoi segment for my taste was the company class. Though I suppose I took a slightly morbid interest in watching Vaziev yell at people.

What's worse, they didn't always seem to be differentiating pre-recorded from live. In the past, I don't remember that being a problem with the Bolshoi which is another reason I didn't mind the pre-recording. And the Sevenard rehearsal? Even if it were live, it seemed pre-fab. A bit of one variation and another and then--oh look fouettes! Black Swan! Is she dancing Swan Lake later this season? --In which case, that IS interesting, please tell us--or did they just want to show someone dancing Fouettes...because there's not enough of that on youtube :dry:. The artifice of "let's meet new Bolshoi dancers!" made me crazy. And I am, in fact, interested in those dancers.

I was also dismayed to realize the entire National Ballet of Canada's segment was recorded. They were touring and didn't want to drop out of the event--which I understand--but I still wish more time had been made for another Canadian company to appear live. And it was incredibly frustrating  when the company excerpted a pre-recorded rehearsal of Nijinsky and CUT OUT as soon as the dancers stopped and the ballet master started commenting.  That can be one of the most interesting parts of the rehearsals--and the part where one can really learn something as a spectator. It started to make the whole rehearsal feel like a controlled package--an advertisement for Nijinsky-- not an insight, however partial, into how things work behind the scenes.

The fact is companies can and do put up pre-recorded footage and events on their websites all the time, If World Ballet Day loses the special feeling of being a day long live ballet spectacle (mostly live) and clearly differentiating live from pre-recorded...well, that kind of drains some of the magic out of it for me.

Catching up: I have seen a bit of the Australian Ballet which I quite enjoyed (Suite en Blanc rehearsal; interview with dancers on perennial topic of pointe shoes). Still have to catch up with the other companies though. And YES...even if I'm catching up after the fact, I think World Ballet Day loses something if the event is overly dominated by prerecorded sessions, especially edited ones.  I make some extra allowance for a Russian company, but even there I have a limit.

Edited by Drew