This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

4 hours ago, canbelto said:

The tribute to Norman Lear had me thinking of how members of the Bunker family would have reacted to Trump. Archie might have supported him, Edith/Gloria/Meathead definitely wouldn't have.

Indeed.  My partner was disgusted that Trump didn't make an appearance at the event -- as the president of the country, he represents us.  But I can only imagine what it would have been like watching him during the tribute to LL Cool J

6 hours ago, sandik said:

Indeed.  My partner was disgusted that Trump didn't make an appearance at the event -- as the president of the country, he represents us.  But I can only imagine what it would have been like watching him during the tribute to LL Cool J

Gosh, I had the exact same thought! That's the only time I would have enjoyed seeing his face.

And, it might not have been intentional but I got a kick out of seeing footage of Obama and Clinton during the evening. I think they've shown past presidents before during some of the tributes, but to me it was a glaring contrast between presidents who've supported the arts before and the current one who doesn't. (Not to mention other things...)

I did enjoy the tribute to Carmen, though as was mentioned up thread I don't think it was said that she was an original member of Ailey. It was really nice to Alicia Mack Graf again. Separately, Carmen de Lavallade has one of the best names ever. 

Re: Trump's absence, it's a good thing he wasn't there because I'm sure his presence would have brought discomfort to many of the honorees. OTOH it is extremely sad when you have a POTUS who can't make the most basic, fluffy, gracious speech for these types of occasions because of his toxic personality.

Here is Misty and Fairchild:

Here's Stella and also Ailey dancers in "Wade in the Water":

The director seemed way over busy with shots in the Ailey. Even allowing this was Kennedy Center Honors. Since all the dance excerpts were short anyway, I thought it was depressing that they couldn’t at least keep the camera still for more that a few seconds. They weren’t supposed to be making a music video.

Glad they honored De Lavallade. They really didn’t mention her role in Ailey’s company? 

Edited by Drew