This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Veronika Part leaving ABT

13 minutes ago, angelica said:

And does anyone know what Veronika will be doing next?

I don't think she ever even posted about the Nutcracker engagement on IG or other social media (not that she's particularly active there in general). So we'll really have to keep our eyes and ears open!

22 hours ago, nanushka said:

Did anyone make it out to Port Washington to see any of Veronika's performances in Nutcracker this week? I'd love to hear any reports!

I was hoping to report on this, but we wound up skipping the performance at the last minute due to the lousy weather.  It didn’t help that we’re unfamiliar with the area, and weren’t sure how far we’d have to park from the venue and walk in the pouring rain.  Of course, now we’re sorry that we missed it. 

Poor Veronika. That partner was too small for her and I think caused her to dance with so much hesitation in her movement. She also looks not in the greatest of shape that I’ve seen, although that costume was doing her no favors. For such a gorgeous woman and gracious performer to have been so undervalued and misstreated... well it’s beyond sad. Her variation looked much closer to the real ballerina that Part is. But the adagio was not a true representation of what she is normally on the stage. Heartbreaking and such a loss for ABT. I hope beyond hope she finds somewhere to dance that will appreciate and use her gifts in the way they should have been used for years.

10 hours ago, Fraildove said:

Poor Veronika. That partner was too small for her and I think caused her to dance with so much hesitation in her movement. She also looks not in the greatest of shape that I’ve seen, although that costume was doing her no favors. For such a gorgeous woman and gracious performer to have been so undervalued and misstreated... well it’s beyond sad. Her variation looked much closer to the real ballerina that Part is. But the adagio was not a true representation of what she is normally on the stage. Heartbreaking and such a loss for ABT. I hope beyond hope she finds somewhere to dance that will appreciate and use her gifts in the way they should have been used for years.

ITA, Fraildove. She definitely should not use this as an audition video. Looks like she needs to go back to class on a regular basis. She is such a gorgeous dancer and unfortunately never found the right partner for a true ongoing partnership.

10 hours ago, Fraildove said:

Sad to say it, but I agree. While watching, I had the same thoughts and tried to deny them.  She did not dance big and bold; she somehow did not look in optimal shape although I couldn't define why; the costume was a horror, the stage was too small.  Still, it was wonderful to see her, and I imagine being able to perform at all is very welcome to her.  I really wonder if she's had any offers from any plausible company. 

19 minutes ago, Marta said:

Sad to say it, but I agree. While watching, I had the same thoughts and tried to deny them.  She did not dance big and bold; she somehow did not look in optimal shape although I couldn't define why; the costume was a horror, the stage was too small.  Still, it was wonderful to see her, and I imagine being able to perform at all is very welcome to her.  I really wonder if she's had any offers from any plausible company. 

I agree, Marta. Just six months ago she was the Part we all know and love -- grand and glorious, despite that ankle injury she was dancing through. 

Can going to class regularly keep a dancer in stage-ready shape? I've been under the impression that it's going to class regularly plus the normal rigors of being in a company (namely, endless rehearsals). I've been wondering how dancers like Fairchild and Gomes (if he wishes to pursue a guesting career) can keep themselves in stage-ready shape. 

It's sad to say, but I can't imagine Part getting many offers since she's really already near retirement age. I think she could have had, maybe, up to three more good years with ABT. 

I saw the Marcelo documentary this afternoon and it left me deeply sad, as I knew it would. Doubly so since the beginning shows he and Veronika backstage and then snippets of them in Swan Lake, which were gloriously beautiful. Why they weren't paired more at ABT is beyond me. I will miss both of them so much when spring season rolls around. 

Part dancing on a tiny stage in a less than ideal costume with, I assume, an unfamiliar partner, may not look her best but to my eyes she still looks like a pedigreed ballerina. I think that counts for a lot. And I quite enjoyed the variation especially. Am I wearing sugar-plum colored glasses? Oh...who knows... Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Part dancing on a tiny stage in a less than ideal costume with, I assume, an unfamiliar partner, may not look her best but to my eyes she still looks like a pedigreed ballerina. I think that counts for a lot. And I quite enjoyed the variation especially. Am I wearing sugar-plum colored glasses? Oh...who knows... Thanks for posting.

Your comment is also true. I was happy to see her despite my critical thoughts, and I also enjoyed the variation very much.  I would watch her in anything!  She and Gomes were fantastic partners.  Were they not paired more often because Gomes was so often with Vishneva?

1 minute ago, Marta said:

Your comment is also true. I was happy to see her despite my critical thoughts, and I also enjoyed the variation very much.  I would watch her in anything!  She and Gomes were fantastic partners.  Were they not paired more often because Gomes was so often with Vishneva?

I assume they were not paired more because Gomes was in demand as a partner.