Jump to content
Dale

Veronika Part leaving ABT

Recommended Posts

nanushka   
5 minutes ago, California said:

A factor we'll likely never know for sure: the details of the supposed negotiations for her to make occasional appearances next season. Perhaps she thought she was worth more money or more appearances than McKenzie was willing to offer. Until they both come clean in their memoirs some day, all we will know are rumors and speculation about why she was cut off this year.

 

We don't even know whether there were any negotiations, per se. Part's comments (only one side of a very fragmented story, to be sure) in the Russian-language article cited upthread can be read to suggest there weren't:

 

"At first it was promised to me that I would be partially engaged in some ballets next season, then left only Swan Lake, and later just was deprived of everything, fired with nothing," said the ballerina. "I was unnecessary."

Share this post


Link to post

I am a little surprised that everyone is still discussing whether or not Veronika's capabilities had diminished. To me, that is not the point, and completely secondary to HOW she was treated. The way she was dismissed was inexcusable, unforgivable, and I don't care whether there may have been a lack of money in the budget to promote three dancers to principals, and those funds had to come from another principal's salary. Even if that was the case, her firing was handled horrifically. And the last-minute, second-rate send-off she was given on stage was shocking. Either a lot of the dancers don't like her personally or else they were too scared to show their affection or respect for her at her farewell. Weren't any of you there at Vishneva's farewell, a mere few weeks earlier? It was glorious. What they did for Veronika was the bum's rush. To repeat: the ABT administration must really dislike her to have treated her this way, with such public, thinly veneered disdain.

Share this post


Link to post
Marta   
11 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

I am a little surprised that everyone is still discussing whether or not Veronika's capabilities had diminished. To me, that is not the point, and completely secondary to HOW she was treated. The way she was dismissed was inexcusable, unforgivable, and I don't care whether there may have been a lack of money in the budget to promote three dancers to principals, and those funds had to come from another principal's salary. Even if that was the case, her firing was handled horrifically. And the last-minute, second-rate send-off she was given on stage was shocking. Either a lot of the dancers don't like her personally or else they were too scared to show their affection or respect for her at her farewell. Weren't any of you there at Vishneva's farewell, a mere few weeks earlier? It was glorious. What they did for Veronika was the bum's rush. To repeat: the ABT administration must really dislike her to have treated her this way, with such public, thinly veneered disdain.

Thank you, Golden Idol. Very well said and I couldn't agree more. All the other points are really secondary. The bum's rush isn't elegant English but it's certainly eloquent. 

Share this post


Link to post
nanushka   
24 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

I am a little surprised that everyone is still discussing whether or not Veronika's capabilities had diminished. To me, that is not the point, and completely secondary to HOW she was treated. The way she was dismissed was inexcusable, unforgivable, and I don't care whether there may have been a lack of money in the budget to promote three dancers to principals, and those funds had to come from another principal's salary. Even if that was the case, her firing was handled horrifically. And the last-minute, second-rate send-off she was given on stage was shocking. Either a lot of the dancers don't like her personally or else they were too scared to show their affection or respect for her at her farewell. Weren't any of you there at Vishneva's farewell, a mere few weeks earlier? It was glorious. What they did for Veronika was the bum's rush. To repeat: the ABT administration must really dislike her to have treated her this way, with such public, thinly veneered disdain.

 

I completely agree, Golden Idol.

 

I think the reason some of us have continued to discuss her capabilities is that some of us feel there were two wrongs here: the fact that she was forced out in the manner you describe, and the fact that, given her capabilities, she was forced out at all. It seems like a double affront to some of us.

Edited by nanushka

Share this post


Link to post
Victura   

Did anyone see Part's performance in Don Quixote? She wasn't listed on the official schedule for Don Q (not sure if Queen of Dryads is normally listed) and the only reports on this site just said it was a nice surprise to see her in the role.

 

I also felt like the farewell was quite hastily done, and I wonder if there's an explanation for it - perhaps either she didn't want a big affair, or since the performance hadn't been advertised as a farewell (even after the program order changed) that management decided not to make it a big affair? All the other celebrations (anniversaries and farewells) were specifically listed in the program as such. Either way, I do wish she had had a better send off more befitting of her long tenure at the company.

Edited by Victura

Share this post


Link to post
MRR   
15 hours ago, canbelto said:

 

I saw Wendy in Nutcracker around 2008. She wasn't the joyful sprightly type but she was technically excellent in the grand pas de deux. The one tutu role I saw her struggle with throughout her career was Diamonds. She wasn't bad, but romantic reverie roles were never her thing, and her upper body was too harsh and angular to look good in the Diamonds tutu.

Her Diamonds in January 2008 was one of the greatest I've ever seen.  At that point her classical technique was still extremely strong.

Share this post


Link to post
MRR   

There's talk in this thread about Part's injuries.  I don't see many performances of ABT per year, but it seems at least in the MET seasons she has normally fulfilled her assigned performances. I do recall a Kennedy Center run of Sleeping Beauty in January 2016 which she withdrew from, but can anyone give more insight here?  Regardless, there was clearly a bigger reason than chronic injuries as to why she was let go.  Especially as said injuries did not appear to diminish her technique, or cause her to withdraw from a substantial (or even sizable) number of performances in recent years.  

Share this post


Link to post
AB'sMom   

She also withdrew from Nutcracker in California in 2015. She was supposed to have opening night and one other night. She wasn't scheduled to dance in Nutcracker in 2016. 

Edited by AB'sMom

Share this post


Link to post
MRR   

So basically around the same time, as Beauty was a month later.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, it seems as if Part isn't hanging up her pointe shoes. So heartening to see this. Or course her future onstage remains a question mark, but I'm just glad she hasn't said goodbye to the art form.

 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Share this post


Link to post
angelica   
1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

Well, it seems as if Part isn't hanging up her pointe shoes. So heartening to see this. Or course her future onstage remains a question mark, but I'm just glad she hasn't said goodbye to the art form.

 

 

Sadly....

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, angelica said:

 

Sadly....

Hmm...odd it was taken down. For those that didn't see it, it was a guest ID badge for Royal Ballet, including Part's headshot and dated 8/17, with a caption from Part saying she has enjoyed being able to take class with the company. Maybe someone from the Royal Ballet asked her to take it down...might be against their social media policy...who knows.

Edited by fondoffouettes

Share this post


Link to post
sandik   
2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Hmm...odd it was taken down. For those that didn't see it, it was a guest ID badge for Royal Ballet, including Part's headshot and dated 8/17, with a caption from Part saying she has enjoyed being able to take class with the company. Maybe someone from the Royal Ballet asked her to take it down...might be against their social media policy...who knows.

 

If it was a security badge I can absolutely understand the company not wanting it floating around the internet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Buddy   

I would really hope that something comes of this. The Royal Ballet could be a very good place for her.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×