This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017 Fall Season

9 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I called it the other day! It just seemed he had checked out a while ago. I'm sure it's kind of a relief for Tiler Peck as well.

I was in denial and holding out hope that he would return. Ironically, it was his performance in American in Paris that got me into the ballet in the first place. 

I hope there's another promotion on the horizon. I'm rooting for Catazaro. 

That is a real loss. I guess he has found he can have a good career, less arduous and presumably more lucrative, outside of ballet. Catazaro, IMHO, is nowhere near ready to replace Fairchild (although let's see how he does in Swan Lake). 

I see they have not yet opened most of the 4th ring for ticket sales. Presumably that will happen, though. If anyone notices the 4th ring beyond row B open, please post! (or PM me.)

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

That is a real loss. I guess he has found he can have a good career, less arduous and presumably more lucrative, outside of ballet. Catazaro, IMHO, is nowhere near ready to replace Fairchild (although let's see how he does in Swan Lake). 

I suspect that in addition to the stated reasons,  his split with Tiler Peck probably also played a role in this development. 

How does NYCB handle a farewell when it's in the middle of a program? The website indicates that it will take place between La Valse and Cortege Hongrois. I'm not as familiar with NYCB farewells as with ABT's, and I also realize this is different in that Fairchild isn't retiring. Will it just be like any other performance?

Edited by fondoffouettes
3 hours ago, canbelto said:

According to the pdf calender Duo Concertant is scheduled last on the program Oct 15.

Odd as a closing ballet but probably the best they can do. It will be an interesting send off. He is not retiring, just moving on to a different kind of career. He hasn't been around much for a few seasons, but he has been an audience favorite for a while. If he past partners (dance that is) come on stage to greet him I'm sure he and Tiler Peck will handle it.

1 hour ago, vipa said:

Odd as a closing ballet but probably the best they can do. It will be an interesting send off. He is not retiring, just moving on to a different kind of career. He hasn't been around much for a few seasons, but he has been an audience favorite for a while. If he past partners (dance that is) come on stage to greet him I'm sure he and Tiler Peck will handle it.

I've seen it as a closer in the past, and it's a lovely, elegiac moment.

Internet is back in time for me to read this news. Hope it holds (the internet, that is, not the news)--

I think Fairchild's departure from a classical ballet career is a big loss for New York City Ballet, a big loss for American Ballet, and a big loss for ballet period.

I wish him great success whatever he does.  He has earned it....but the ballet world isn't exactly overflowing with fabulous male dancers with his special qualities. So, as a ballet fan, I am bummed.

15 hours ago, canbelto said:

How strange.  When I click on your link, I get Duo at the end of the program.  When I access the pdf directly from NYCB's website I get Duo sandwiched between two ballets.   The only difference I can see in the URL is that the one below appears to be version V19.  Could that have superseded V18?

http://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/SubscriptionDocuments/3517-FY18-FallCalendar_V19.pdf

Though I think Fairchild's  departure from the company is a big deal, I don't see the necessity of scheduling Duo Concertant last, especially since he is not retiring and hasn't even been dancing much with the company for the past couple of seasons. If they do schedule it last...well, lovely. But if they don't...well, still lovely. (Of course people need to know if they can't stay for the whole program.)

But I will add that, though Duo isn't a blockbuster, 'dessert' closer, it is-in other ways-a very poetic way to end a ballet program.

Edited by Drew
21 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Sterling Hyltin is Robert Fairchild's truest and best partner, and the thing that makes me saddest about his departure is the simple fact that she won't be dancing with him anymore.  I'm glad he'll share his final NYCB performance with her. 

What do you mean when you say he is her truest partner?

13 minutes ago, Olga said:

What do you mean when you say he is her truest partner?

First things first - she was his truest partner, which is not quite the same thing as the other way around. Anyway, I mean simply that their stage chemistry was exemplary and that he looked his absolute best when he was dancing with her. (I think Hyltin makes all her partners look good, but Fairchild especially so. IMO, he needed her more than she needed him in that regard, but I will still very much miss their special chemistry.)

I still remember their genuinely electric performance in the Intermezzo of Balanchine's Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet, not to mention Aria II of Stravinsky Violin Concerto. 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen - Sorry for the inversion. I knew that was how you phrased it, but slipped up in repeating it. More importantly, I was curious to understand your meaning since I found the word itself curious and susceptible to different interpretations and in the context, potentially loaded. You've made your point quite clear. 

For me, R. Fairchild's most stunning and memorable performance was in Who Cares with Tiler Peck.  Many people could do the steps, but when those two danced to "The Man I Love", there was enough electricity to power all of New York City.  So sad that we will never see that again.

Other Robbie Fairchild roles that suited him perfectly were Slaughter and Thou Swell.  Although I did not like The Times are Racing, his tapping pdd with Justin Peck was a highlight.  I'm glad it's preserved on video (the video that was shot in the subway).

Duo Concertant would indeed be a very fine closing ballet for his departure. 

This is a big loss to NYCB.  Robbie had a large fan base from his appearance in American in Paris, and I think he brought new audiences into NYCB. 

Edited by abatt
30 minutes ago, abatt said:

For me, R. Fairchild's most stunning and memorable performance was in Who Cares with Tiler Peck.  Many people could do the steps, but when those two danced to "The Man I Love", there was enough electricity to power all of New York City.  So sad that we will never see that again.

I do agree that R. Fairchild and T. Peck were terrific in "The Man I Love"! They both have a certain kind of Broadway sheen that makes that pas something special. (It may be because neither has any particular qualms about being Broadway, rather than just evoking it: i.e., they understand the difference between a performance and a show.) I really don't expect to see it done any better during my lifetime. 

Since I prefer Stravinsky Violin Concerto as a ballet overall, and because I am particularly taken with the way Hyltin has (to my eye) re-imagined Kay Mazzo's role -- with Fairchild's full participation, without a doubt -- it's still the performance that will shine particularly bright in my memory. Well maybe that smokin' hot Intermezzo, too ... 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell