Jump to content
ABT Fan

ABT 2017 Swan Lake

Recommended Posts

Unrelated to Swan Lake, but i will be quite sad if i cant see her Nikiya one more time.  Glad i got to see her O/O twice this year (DC and NY)

Share this post


Link to post

Now I'm so glad that I saw her Swan Lake despite my busy schedule. She was definitely losing flexibily on her back lately. It's going to be disappointing to see her dance less in the classics.... 

Share this post


Link to post

I am also glad I got to see her Swan Lake this year.  My husband and I saw her at the Kennedy Center and she was beautiful.  A swan for the ages. Thank You Veronika! Brava, Brava! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't read Part's comment as saying that she will no longer do the role.  Her comment says "Last Swan Lake Met 2017".  That doesn't mean that she won't perform the role again during the Met 2018 season.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, abatt said:

I don't read Part's comment as saying that she will no longer do the role.  Her comment says "Last Swan Lake Met 2017".  That doesn't mean that she won't perform the role again during the Met 2018 season.

She responded to someone in the comments section who asked for clarification and made it pretty clear that she won't be dancing the role again at the Met. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

She responded to someone in the comments section who asked for clarification and made it pretty clear that she won't be dancing the role again at the Met. 

 

If you zoom in btw you can see the bouquet thrown from the audience in midair!

Share this post


Link to post

It makes sense now that she seemed so moved by the demanded second curtain call, and that JW let her come out first for a solo bow.

 

I still feel so sad that we'll never see her dance that again.

Share this post


Link to post

Everyone must cheer extra loud when she stars in Mozartiana next week. Sending much love her way.  

Share this post


Link to post

I've only had the privilege of seeing her live a couple of times during visits to NYC, but I loved her in both of them :flowers:

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think Part's last IG post means she's retiring. It reads to me as if she's just acknowledging her last SL and her feelings about it.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I don't think Part's last IG post means she's retiring. It reads to me as if she's just acknowledging her last SL and her feelings about it.

 

I think it could go either way. We may just have to keep our eyes on the roster and the next season brochure. If she is retiring, I would not be surprised that she chose to go out in this quiet sort of way.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, nanushka said:

 

I think it could go either way. We may just have to keep our eyes on the roster and the next season brochure. If she is retiring, I would not be surprised that she chose to go out in this quiet sort of way.

 

I'm praying that she's not retiring. There are still many roles I'd love to see her reprise -- Nikiya, Lilac Fairy, Myrtha, Mercedes/Dryad Queen. It's been noted that other ballerinas, such as Vishneva and Kent, were able to retire SL and then continue dancing for several years. Veronika, however, doesn't have a stock of MacMillan and MacMillan-esque roles that she can dance in her later years. Petipa has always been her bread and butter.

 

And I agree, I've always suspected the Part may leave quietly. For some reason, I can't picture her doing the standard ABT farewell with all the fanfare and flowers (though I wish she would). I guess I've always gotten the impression that she's a bit of an introvert and maybe somewhat of an outsider at the company. Other dancers in the company never seem to post about her or comment on her performances. 

 

This is a rare and beautiful photo of her with other ABT principals:

 

 

 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Share this post


Link to post

This is getting off topic but Veronika has posted some very fun stuff on Instagram with the rest of the company.

 

Here are her and Marcelo lip-synching the Wicked soundtrack:

Here is her and Blaine Hoven:

 

Her and Mick Jagger and Melanie Hamrick:

 

 

Her and Irina Kolpakova:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 15.06.2017 at 11:22 PM, MRR said:

Krysanova when she performed on the Bolshoi tour in London, August 2013, executed a sequence of single fouette, single in front attitude, double in passe, repeat, only she could do the double fouettes in one count.  It was impressive, albeit jarring musically, as she would complete each sequence in three counts, thus beginning the next sequence of single, single, double on the count of "4" instead of "1" of the next phrase.  It was exciting but I didn't love it.  She switched to singles after the halfway point and pulled in for a rock solid triple.

 

I personally don't care for double fouettes; they're just so hard to make musical.  Triples are fine when done as part of a single-single-triple sequence, and I even liked Murphy's doubles when she added the swan arms as it slowed down the rotation.  But there is no shame in a clean, musical set of 32 singles with minimal traveling, as Nina demonstrated.  In fact, often that is more thrilling and enslaving than the fouette sets with multiple turns.  It tells the story better than a bravura act of multiples, which for 30 seconds can make the step seem like it exists outside the ballet.

 

Perhaps we saw Krysanova at different performances--she did dance two Swan Lakes during that tour owing to the injury to Alexandrova (who did two singles, a turn in attitude en avant and then another single)--but I saw her do a single fouette, a single turn with the leg extended straight in front and then a double fouette, and she completed the sequence in the time it would have taken to do four single fouettes, so there was no rhythmical displacement. 

 

I don't much care for double fouettes either, although I have seen dancers who turn more slowly and can make it fit. Frankly, I don't find the sequence especially musical to begin with because of how drastically the rhythmic emphasis changes in the second half. Alastair Macaulay has alluded to this as well. But I also don't think it's one of Tchaikovsky's most inspired passages, so un-rhythmical fouettes aren't the greatest possible sin against the score. (Mess with the "White Swan" adage, and you'll see steam coming out of my ears.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/18/2017 at 9:44 PM, volcanohunter said:

 

Perhaps we saw Krysanova at different performances--she did dance two Swan Lakes during that tour owing to the injury to Alexandrova (who did two singles, a turn in attitude en avant and then another single)--but I saw her do a single fouette, a single turn with the leg extended straight in front and then a double fouette, and she completed the sequence in the time it would have taken to do four single fouettes, so there was no rhythmical displacement.

We both saw the same performance: Saturday, August 10th (evening).  She does the exact sequence you mention in the 2010 clip with Dmitri Gudanov, but my (perhaps faulty) memory recalls her doing at least the first set in three counts, thereby starting the next sequence early.  Either way, they were certainly some of the fastest fouettes I've ever seen, if not the most aesthetically pleasing. 

 

Kristina Kretova in the matinee alternated singles and doubles, all very well done with minimal traveling. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MRR said:

they were certainly some of the fastest fouettes I've ever seen, if not the most aesthetically pleasing

 

I think it's fair to say that sums up Krysanova's approach to fouettes, although it may be better suited to Don Quixote than Swan Lake

 

I didn't see Kretova's Odile then, but I have seen Hayna Gutierrez do what you described in Don Q, and it can result in peculiar syncopation. A couple of months ago I saw Kretova do the Corsaire and Don Q pas de deux - twice. Theoretically that could have been 128 fouettes in two days, but honestly I don't remember the sequences she used. So if you can remember how she did them four years ago, I'd say your memory is pretty darn good!

 

I'd rather they be aesthetically pleasing than super fast, with full extension of both arms and legs. Droppy elbows during fouettes are a pet peeve. I'm very partial to how Yoko Ichino, who studied with Mia Slavenska, did them, here in 1984. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Entire post.

Thank you for linking to Yoko's fouettes.  I had not previously been familiar with her, but her turns are fantastic.  I love how she emphasizes the a la seconde while on pointe.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/20/2017 at 4:32 PM, volcanohunter said:

I'm very partial to how Yoko Ichino, who studied with Mia Slavenska, did them, here in 1984. 

 

These are not only the most phenomenal but also the most musical fouettés I've ever seen.  Thanks for posting it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×