This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Segerstrom lists Mariinsky Fokine program in October 2017

6 hours ago, fan2546 said:

Wish there were at least one cast with Osmolkina, Kondaurova, and Tereshkina together. Does Skorik absolutely have to be in every cast? :(  Nothing against Skorik, just the other three are my favorites. 

Agree (though I am not a fan of Skorik). I ended up purchasing three shows to get a good variety of those three, which was especially difficult to account for Osmolkina yet avoid Skorik in something too major.

27 minutes ago, AB'sMom said:

I'm not very familiar with most of the Mariinsky dancers but I would like to attend one of the Sunday performances. Which show would most people recommend? 

I don't think you can go wrong--thought depending on which ballet I might marginally prefer one or the other cast--at least judging ahead of time.  If Les Sylphides is the ballet you care about most I would recommend matinee (Osmolkina/Stepin) but honestly I think the leads in the evening performance (Skorik/Parish) are also likely to give lovely performances. Still, Osmolkina is an exemplary Mariinsky ballerina...

For at least one other ballet on the program, Scheherazade, I might give the preference to the evening performance. Kim seems to me likely to be much more exciting than Askerov. Umm...I don't know which ballets on the program most interest you though.

Edited by Drew

Also in the Sunday matinee Vasily Tkachenko is usually very good so he will be a great Spectre to Yana Selina's very solid Girl. She always gives a lovely performance.

The second half of the matinee is disappointing though, but Kondaurova can sometimes give good performances.

I saw the opening night and don't have time to write more now (going again this evening) but Oxana Skorik was replaced by Osmolkina (hallelujah!) in Chopiniana. The cast sheet didn't specify any reason (it wasn't even noted that there was a replacement being made, though I knew from the online cast sheet that there was a change). Not sure if this is an injury or a replacement due to other reasons.

Yes, she did The Swan last night. But if it is a small injury issue, the Swan is much less demanding than Chopiniana, certainly. AB'sMom will have to let us know about Sunday evening. 

So far LOVED Osmolkina in Chopiniana with perfect Romantic style and lightness. Loved Tereshkina and Kim in Scheherazade--great chemistry. Kim is so ferocious with the way he cuts through air. Enjoyed Kondaurova in the Swan. Liked her less in Scheherazade though only in comparison to Tereshkina. Pretty neutral on Shklyarov  in both Spectre and Scheherazade. Skorik's Swan--it's already a piece I can take only so much of that I really need to like the ballerina in order to enjoy it (layperson S.O. noted that he think it's the perfect vehicle for her though after seeing her in Raymonda and thinking her arms seem radically disconnected from her body). Glad some people are digging it though!

2 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

Sunday evening Skorik was replaced by Anastasia Kolegova in Chopiniana. 

Poor Kolegova.  She has a great technique, is so beautiful, dances every role in the repertoire, fills in at the last minute for any injured principal - YET ... still she is not a principal.  

I don't think that Kolegova made a last minute replacement for  Skorik. It rather looks that the Segerstrom Center failed to update the cast info on their website.  All principals-- Skorik, Kondaurova and Tereshkina--appeared only in two roles, either Zobeide in Scheherazade or The Swan.

1 hour ago, MadameP said:

Poor Kolegova.  She has a great technique, is so beautiful, dances every role in the repertoire, fills in at the last minute for any injured principal - YET ... still she is not a principal.  

You know I agree with you! She is used as an "Also Ran" or sub, and she can dance circles around Skorik!

At the final performance of the D.C. Raymonda tour she had to suddenly replace Skorik after Act 1, and it was announced that Kolegova would dance Act 2 and 3, and it looked like she only had her street make up on instead of her theatrical make up when she entered in Act 2. Then, in Act 3 her make up was the normal theatrical make up. So it appeared to be a sudden decision. I saw no sign of injury at the end of Skorik's Act 1. 

I was at the performance once where a ballerina showed no sign of injury and yet she danced with a broken toe that put her out of commission for the whole season.  We don't know the circumstances of when and why Skorik was replaced for this run at the SCFTA but the tone of the discussion suggest some sort of foul play on her part.  I understand that many on this board dislike or "don't dig" her  but I find such insinuations unfair. 

19 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

but the tone of the discussion suggest some sort of foul play on her part.  

Dissing the discussion is against our policy.  If you think that a post has crossed the line of our policy, use the "Report post" option at the upper right of the post, and we will review it.

The vast majority of injuries are not detectable by the audience, whether the dancer is injured before the performance starts or during the performance.

Kolegova has many fine qualities but a poetic adagio dancer she is not--or at least not in my eyes. I am looking forward to her Gamzatti, but I would be very dismayed to see her replace Skorik as Nikiya. I'm hoping the Chopiniana was just garden variety shifting around of casts that sometimes happens on tours...especially, in my experience, Mariinsky and Bolshoi tours. (If any Nikiya did have to be replaced in D.C. my money has been on Chebykina as the likeliest back up and I can't take it off the table now :wink: , but I am very, very, very much hoping everyone dances as announced and is in their very best health!)

I will agree to disagree about Kolegova. We all see things differently. However, I think Kolegova is a great adagio dancer, and she often gets cast in roles requiring adagio. She was recently cast in the Second Movement of Symphony in C. To me adagio is her forte. I have seen her Swan Lake in person and have multiple recordings. Her Act 1 Scene 2 love duet is divine. She is probably the most feminine (and most beautiful....talking about her face) Odette I have ever seen. The way she puts her hand in Siegfried's hands after he picks her up off the floor and before the assisted turns.....just a flick of her wrist makes that movement delicate and beautiful. Although she can be great in fast footwork I tend to think she seems to excel when she is moving slowly which gives her the time to make beautiful movements, and her artistry is in very subtle and final movements. Her flowing arms when she falls backwards are amazing too, but you have to pay attention to the hands at the end of the backwards falls.

I saw her as Nikiya in person, and it was not her best performance, but since then I have seen her in a recording and she did much better. However, I still don't view it as my favorite role of hers. Her Gamzatti is better than I expected, because I didn't think she had the temperament, but she did a good job.