This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Segerstrom lists Mariinsky Fokine program in October 2017

I have had a subscription for 17 years, but I can't see spending nearly $500 for this programming when I can go up to San Francisco or Seattle for excellent ballet. I assume that ABT is doing Nutcracker but it's outside the subscription. 

The Mariinsky did a Fokine evening several years ago with Firebird and Scheherazade and some other ballet (probably Chopiniana). 

What is going on? 

Edited by Josette
46 minutes ago, Josette said:

What is going on? 

A tour on the cheap?

1 hour ago, ksk04 said:

I know this isn't the right thread, but what about the Bolshoi that was linked maybe a week ago? Horrible season.

It's not listed on the Segerstrom site yet, but the Bolshoi had announced that it would bring Maillot's The Taming of the Shrew on July 17 & 18 and Possokhov's A Hero of Our Time on July 21 & 22 (m/e). Page 59 of the PDF:
http://www.bolshoi.ru/upload/medialibrary/101/10149b16ff60c2403a87f9acf04bd93c.pdf

ABT's Nutcracker runs December 7-17.

https://www.scfta.org/events/detail.aspx?id=16858

Edited by volcanohunter
12 hours ago, Josette said:

And the Mariinsky is dancing in Segerstrom Concert Hall and not in Segerstrom Hall, which is odd. 

Petrushka, Firebird and Scheherazade's decors call for a proscenium type stage. In the Concert Hall, they can do ballets that could be pulled off with a plain dark background and simple props, like a chair...e.g., Spectre, Dying Swan, Chopiniana & Polovtsian.

14 hours ago, California said:

Apparently this is the dance subscription for 2017-18: Mariinsky + one modern, one Tango, Ailey:

https://www.scfta.org/Subscriptions/Packages.aspx?seasonID=577

Meh. Even the Bolshoi's offerings are relatively El Cheapos. I've seen both Taming and Hero and, while the choreographies are superb, the sets are relatively simple & overly reliant on projections. (The spa in part 3 of Hero looks great, though.) Easier to tour than the  classics, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Josette said:

I have had a subscription for 17 years, but I can't see spending nearly $500 for this programming when I can go up to San Francisco or Seattle for excellent ballet. I assume that ABT is doing Nutcracker but it's outside the subscription. 

The Mariinsky did a Fokine evening several years ago with Firebird and Scheherazade and some other ballet (probably Chopiniana). 

What is going on? 

I won't be renewing my subscription if this this actually the dance season. I left halfway through the tango program the last time it was here--not interested.

I don't like the national trend of minimizing or watering down classical ballet by interjecting modern and Broadway into so-called Ballet-Dance seasons. That's precisely my beef with the Kennedy Center. As it is, one of the offerings of any season, anywhere in America, is NUTCRACKER. So how many offerings does that leave for the true balletomane? To give the few remaining slots to Ailey or the Trocks or "Red Shoes" road tour is to take away from the presentation of ballet. I guess that presenters have crunched the numbers and are purposely reducing the number of old-fashioned pure ballet presentations in a given season, to stay in the black & not lose money. 

Hold on to your precious DVDs if you want to see ballet.

This isn't my home turf, and so I don't have any inside information about their marketing strategy, but I did notice that, on their main website's drop-down menu, "ballet" is a separate listing (as are "modern dance" and "dance"), so they do think of those as distinct entities.  Interestingly, the upcoming Giselle by the La Scala company is the only group in that category right now -- the Eifman company, the Maryinsky, and a gala for Festival Ballet Theater are all listed under "dance." 

1 hour ago, sandik said:

This isn't my home turf, and so I don't have any inside information about their marketing strategy, but I did notice that, on their main website's drop-down menu, "ballet" is a separate listing (as are "modern dance" and "dance"), so they do think of those as distinct entities.  Interestingly, the upcoming Giselle by the La Scala company is the only group in that category right now -- the Eifman company, the Maryinsky, and a gala for Festival Ballet Theater are all listed under "dance." 

Do you mean that for the segment of the audience (however small) that only looks under the "ballet" listings, it wouldn't be obvious that there are other major ballet events coming?  If that is so, then it would seem like a good idea to fix that...whatever their marketing strategy.  But I too have no inside information...

2 hours ago, sandik said:

Yes and the subscription is a "Dance" subscription, not ballet, but still I think the offerings are poor as a general dance subscription.

I wonder if there has been a fallout with Ardani? Is Ardani still doing Mariinsky and Bolshoi tours?

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Do you mean that for the segment of the audience (however small) that only looks under the "ballet" listings, it wouldn't be obvious that there are other major ballet events coming?  If that is so, then it would seem like a good idea to fix that...whatever their marketing strategy.  But I too have no inside information...

It certainly might work that way -- especially if you were just looking for ballet offerings.  But I haven't spent much time with their website, so don't know how it's organized.  It could be that everything is nested underneath the season, so that next year's stuff doesn't match this year's listings.  In general, though, venues that present mostly touring groups will make big categories, so that "dance" includes a wide variety of groups.  I'd want to look at the rest of the LA area presenters before I made a value judgment about this particular series, though.

20 hours ago, Josette said:

What is going on? 

You're definitely better off just picking one or two individual programs to see - the subscription doesn't make sense.

This kind of presentation always makes me feel like I'm at a gala. And I generally prefer mixed rep programs, but when it's a visiting troupe performing 4 or more pieces, it can feel unfocused.

Both Petipa/Ivanov and Ballets Russes works benefit from conscientious stagings. The Ballets Russes stagings should be close to the originals as the stagings were so much a part of the uniqueness of those ballets.

I've complained to Segerstrom before about their website. Often nothing comes up under Classical Ballet. Everything just gets listed under Dance. So, if one were to search only for ballet it would appear that nothing is on the schedule. 

We have casting! https://www.scfta.org/events/detail.aspx?id=16825

Thursday, October 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Chopiniana

Oxana Skorik (Seventh Waltz)
Xander Parish (Mazurka)

Le Spectre de la Rose
Vladimir Shklyarov (Le Spectre de la rose)
Svetlana Ivanova (The Maiden)

The Swan
Ekaterina Kondaurova

Schéhérazade
Viktoria Tereshkina (Zobeide)
Kimin Kim (Golden Slave)

Friday, October 13 at 7:30 p.m.
Chopiniana

Anastasia Kolegova (Seventh Waltz)
Timur Askerov (Mazurka)

Le Spectre de la Rose
Philipp Stepin (Le Spectre de la rose)
Xenia Ostreikovskaya (The Maiden)

The Swan
Oxana Skorik

Schéhérazade
Ekaterina Kondaurova (Zobeide)
Vladimir Shklyarov (Golden Slave)

Saturday, October 14 at 2 p.m.
Chopiniana

Yekaterina Osmolkina (Seventh Waltz)
Philipp Stepin (Mazurka)

Le Spectre de la Rose
Vasily Tkachenko (Le Spectre de la rose)
Yana Selina (The Maiden)

The Swan
Viktoria Tereshkina

Schéhérazade
Oxana Skorik (Zobeide)
Xander Parish (Golden Slave)

Saturday, October 14 at 7:30 p.m.
Chopiniana

Anastasia Kolegova (Seventh Waltz)
Timur Askerov (Mazurka)

Le Spectre de la Rose
Kimin Kim (Le Spectre de la rose)

The Swan
Oxana Skorik

Schéhérazade
Vladimir Shklyarov (Golden Slave)

Sunday, October 15 at 1 p.m.
Chopiniana

Yekaterina Osmolkina (Seventh Waltz)
Philipp Stepin (Mazurka)

Le Spectre de la Rose
Vasily Tkachenko (Le Spectre de la rose)
Yana Selina (The Maiden)

The Swan
Oxana Skorik

Schéhérazade
Ekaterina Kondaurova (Zobeide)
Timur Askerov (Golden Slave)

Sunday, October 15 at 6:30 p.m.
Chopiniana

Oxana Skorik (Seventh Waltz)
Xander Parish (Mazurka)

Le Spectre de la Rose
Vladimir Shklyarov (Le Spectre de la rose)

The Swan
Ekaterina Kondaurova

Schéhérazade
Kimin Kim (Golden Slave)

This dovetails with the Mariinsky's week of La Bayadere in DC, so I see a lot of overlap with the leading casts in DC. Big difference is that the wonderful male leads, Shklyarov & Parish, are appearing only in California. Would it be too much to hope that they may also detour to Washington, DC?

Selina, Ivanova, Ostreikovskaya, Stepin, Vasily Tkachenko - all wonderful soloists. Perhaps they, too, will be winding their way to Washington, DC's La Bayadere the following week?