This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 promotions prediction/wish list

34 minutes ago, Natalia said:

Sarah's starring again tonight as Princess Praline. Maybe Kevin McKenzie will appear with a microphone during the bows, POB Etoile style? Every now & then other companies do this, eg, Oksana Skorik promoted by Fateev after a Raymonda in Calif.

I really don't think this is Kevin's style. (They barely even allow second curtain calls now.) And not to diminish the role but...it's Princess Praline.

Edited by nanushka
3 hours ago, California said:

So I wonder if they are routinely notified beforehand or if Copeland was an exception.

I don't know if all are notified before hand. It seems to me most aren't. Copeland said in an interview that Kevin M told her a week or so before the promotion announcement, that he was going to promote her but asked her not to say anything. 

20 minutes ago, abatt said:

Just back from tonight's performance.  There were no post performance promotions tonight from the stage. 

Maybe tomorrow at company class. That seems a pattern. I have never been on pins and needles for a promotion before in any company.

Sarah was absolutely delightful in tonight's Whipped Cream; equal part adorable and radiant and technically secure.

I'm pretty disheartened to read about Part's almost certain retirement, but it does confirm that a slot is opening up (not that the company really has a set number of principal women.) Plus, there's Vishneva's departure, though it's never been clear to me if a dancer like that has the same sort of principal contract as someone who dances with company more regularly. And I kind of having a feeling that Kochetkova will be going the way of Semionova, though this is based on no information I've found. This is all to say that I wonder if there will be more than one female promotion to principal. I'd maybe guess Teuscher in addition to Lane, but who knows?

As abatt has mentioned, today would be the end of their fiscal year, so that can explain why Part's departure has essentially been firmed up. Promotions would seem to be imminent at this point.

Edited by fondoffouettes
26 minutes ago, vipa said:

Maybe tomorrow at company class. That seems a pattern. I have never been on pins and needles for a promotion before in any company.

Saturdays are undoubtedly a bit more tightly scheduled, so I'd guess the beginning of next week –– but that's just a guess.

4 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

As abatt has mentioned, today would be the end of their fiscal year, so that can explain why Part's departure has essentially been firmed up. Promotions would seem to be imminent at this point.

Yes, and last year they came on July 1.

5 minutes ago, Balanchinomane said:

What time is Company Class? I  guess this is the best site to wait for it.

Hopefully there's a kind insider among us....

When they held a company class on stage for Friends last week, the class was noon-1:15. Let's hope somebody in the company videos the announcement and posts on Instagram, as they did with Abrera and Copeland.

10 hours ago, abatt said:

Just back from tonight's performance.  There were no post performance promotions tonight from the stage. 

Oh well, there was no harm in hoping. Maybe at company class this morn...about an hour from now (10am)???? Classes are earlier on matinee days.

37 minutes ago, California said:

When they held a company class on stage for Friends last week, the class was noon-1:15. Let's hope somebody in the company videos the announcement and posts on Instagram, as they did with Abrera and Copeland.

Hoven's promotion last year was also video'd. I don't remember seeing one of Cirio's though. Murphy and Simkin seem to catch most of these behind the scenes moments so I'm betting one of them will post something. Or the company's latest  unofficial photographer Frenette.

44 minutes ago, Natalia said:

Oh well, there was no harm in hoping. Maybe at company class this morn...about an hour from now (10am)???? Classes are earlier on matinee days.

Classes are actually later on two show days because they do not do as many rehearsals. 

5 minutes ago, its the mom said:

Classes are actually later on two show days because they do not do as many rehearsals. 

As in the NYT video posted on another thread, which shows the class doing barre work less than two hours before curtain.

Part of why I think today is unlikely –– I can't see Kevin thinking that less than an hour before curtain is a good time to make announcements that cause either great elation or great disappointment.

Edited by nanushka
2 hours ago, nanushka said:

As in the NYT video posted on another thread, which shows the class doing barre work less than two hours before curtain.

Part of why I think today is unlikely –– I can't see Kevin thinking that less than an hour before curtain is a good time to make announcements that cause either great elation or great disappointment.

So maybe it will happen on Monday? Tomorrow, Sunday, is day off...as is Tuesday (4th of July).  Seems silly but I don't want to miss the news. My iPhone is at the beach. 

36 minutes ago, Natalia said:

So maybe it will happen on Monday? Tomorrow, Sunday, is day off...as is Tuesday (4th of July).  Seems silly but I don't want to miss the news. My iPhone is at the beach. 

If their press person has any say in it (which I'm guessing must be the case), I'd guess they would wait until Wednesday the 5th instead of dropping this news in the middle of a long holiday weekend, which would reduce the likelihood of it being picked up by news outlets. That said, maybe they wouldn't really care since it's not the type of story that gains a lot of traction anyway, besides the usual mention in the NYT. (The exception, of course, is Copeland's promotion, which was a story of national interest. And Stella's promotion, too, gained some news attention outside of the NYT.) Hmm...and I'm wondering if they will try to fold Veronika's almost-certain retirement into the release.

Looking back at the ABT press release archives, it's interesting to see how many of the current principal dancers were not promoted at the "standard" spring promotion time. But maybe their promotions coincided with the periodic board of directors' meetings, like abatt has said. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Honestly, I will be surprised if Sarah doesn't get promoted next week. Teuscher or Shevchenko and Trenary's promotion is also possible since Part is (probably)retiring. Also, Murphy has been getting injured frequently and abt needs a "reserve principal" who can sub like Cirio on men's side. My hope is promotion for all 4 women but that's probably not going to happen. 

Does anyone know of any shortish corp ladies? I think Lane, Trenary, and Brandt will eventually become principals and someone has to fill their spot. The corp members that stand out to me are either average or tall in height (Fang, Hurlin, Waski, Hamrick)

1 hour ago, alexL said:

Does anyone know of any shortish corp ladies? I think Lane, Trenary, and Brandt will eventually become principals and someone has to fill their spot. The corp members that stand out to me are either average or tall in height (Fang, Hurlin, Waski, Hamrick)

Elina Miettinen...my favorite Fairy Canari and White Cat in SB!

I hope you didn't think I was being rude. I just started wondering, since you mentioned her, if there is a height that is just considered too short. (I'm not sure of her height, but for some reason I am thinking that it's less than 5'2"). I hope not, as she is a beautiful dancer. 

One interesting thing about height is that they let Sarah Lane do SL. I know that Kochetkova was scheduled and they needed someone small to dance with Simkin, but to the best of my knowledge they never let Reyes do SL (correct me if I'm wrong) and she would have been fine. I doubt Lane would have ever been cast in SL if it wasn't for the circumstances surrounding this replacement. I saw Kochetkova for the first time when she replaced Cojocaru in the role (Cojocaru being an established international star who'd done the role). I thought Kochetkova pretty boring.

I know we're all tired of this guessing game by now, but since the NYT just posted about Part's retirement, I expect that it's likely that promotions will be announced by ABT on Wednesday. There's no press release about Part on ABT's website, so it seems they are going to make no official statement about her and will just move on the promotions announcement.

I hope Veronika gets a heads up so she can skip class that morning. The way ABT has handled this whole situation is so disrespectful.

Edited by fondoffouettes

It is possible that some of the dancers are aware of their promotion at this point. Both Seo Hee and Copeland were notified in private by AD before they publicly announced it in a company class. 

Anyway, this must be an awkward situation for the new principals as well....

I also recall Maria Riccetto, during a seminar at the 2010 ABT summer intensive, saying that she had been told the day before the company was notified that she had been promoted to soloist.   Kevin McKenzie told her she shouldn't miss class because he would announce her promotion after.

So, I guess it's a case-by-case basis.   Abrera clearly had not been told when she was made principal given her emotional reaction.