This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hi, if you've read my introduction then you already know that I'm from Argentina. Through all these years searching for information about ballet history and technique, looking for books, documentaries, video footage, etc., I've come to a small video footage of Baryshnikov at around 16 or 17 years old, doing a lot of exercises on the Vaganova ARB. After searching for its origins, I got to know it's some kind of leaked piece from some films Misha donated to the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts on the Jerome Robbins Dance Division. It's a 93 minutes length video  of him and a few other dancers doing lots of training exercises at Vaganova, that would be PRICELESS to be able to watch and save. But is it possible to ask for some kind of temporary link to view it, or something ? Or is the only option that I travel all the way to New York to go watch it ? Wouldn't mind the last, but I won't be able to pay it anytime soon. Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

the short answer here is that you'd have to be on NYPL/JRDD premises to view any of its moving picture items.

there's no option for viewing by way of outside access, and most certainly there is no option for individually saving, as a duplicate copy, any of the items in its vast catalog.

the one somewhat recent change regarding viewing policies on the premises is that some items have digitized, so that watching them is more direct and simple than the longstanding need to write a call slip for a cassette or disc and to watch it on a player in the research room once the item has been retrieved from the shelves by a library worker.