dirac

Thursday, May 18

Former Atlanta Ballet dancers form a new troupe.

Terminus Modern Ballet Theatre is hoping to host an inaugural performance in October.

John Welker, who retired from the Atlanta Ballet after more than two decades in 2016, will serve as the director of the new company, although he stressed that decisions will be made collectively.

Related.

What will Terminus be as a dance company? Welker cautioned against expecting a continuation of Atlanta Ballet under former artistic director John McFall. Lee, who will both dance and choreograph for the new company, said they are still defining what Terminus will become. “We’re trying to avoid labeling ourselves and where we’re going; that’s what we would like to learn on this journey,” she said. “There’s a certain confidence about it that we all have, and I don’t know why because this should be a terrifying moment for us. We all have big ideas about what it’s going to be, and for some reason, it’s not daunting. It feels like: okay, let’s do it. There’s a certain peace about it.”

Vanity Fair runs an item on "Whipped Cream."

Though by Act II the gluttonous hero winds up hospitalized, hallucinating, and tormented by an ominous doctor and a needle-brandishing nurse, the ballet ends jubilantly, with anthropomorphic candied companions joining him “in a celebration,” Ratmansky reports. “That is the ‘joy’ Strauss was talking about.”

Annabelle Lopez Ochoa talks about the making of "A Streetcar Named Desire."

How did you translate key acting scenes into the form of dance?
First we differentiated the acting scenes from the dance scenes. Then the theater director asked the dancers to improvise the acting scenes where the action is more based on gestures rather than dancing. Nancy taught the dancers the basic rule of acting: Each character needs a specific want in each scene. Nevertheless some emotions cannot be solely conveyed by actions but by symbolism and poetry. I think that dance lends itself perfectly for those moments.

A story on Oklahoma City Ballet's community outreach programs.

“Those worlds of possibilities for these kids is not always that they're going to become a performer, but it is going to see downtown Oklahoma City for the first time, it's stepping into a cavernous, incredible theater for the first time, just experiencing a theatrical production. Of course, there are those segments of youth that it does light a light bulb above their head, and it does pique an interest. Whether it's music or dance or theater, acting, singing, they understand that there's another avenue … to them that in their day-to-day education with public schools may not be as clearly drawn out to them.”

Ballet West kicks off its first National Choreographic Festival this weekend.

“I have decided to expand and extend how Ballet West approaches the world of new creations,” Ballet West Artistic Director Adam Sklute explained his vision for the new festival. “I hope that this festival could grow into dance what Sundance Film Festival is for film.”

New York City Ballet launches a new "visual campaign."

"The inspiration for this was simply the feeling you get when you watch New York City Ballet live, and what you walk away with," Bon says, "A New York City Ballet performance not only stimulates your senses as you watch it, but it also lingers in your memory long after it is over."

Watch the campaign, below.

Vilia Putrius is retiring from Festival Ballet Providence.

Still, retirement is a milestone that calls for a look back as well as a look ahead, and the former goes to Lithuania, where Putrius was born in 1977 to circus performers.

“They were air gymnasts,” she says, an act so unique her father invented the apparatus for it. “I loved it. I thought that was what I would do. But it’s not an easy life, and my parents wanted something different for my older brother and me.

A review of Vienna State Ballet's "Swan Lake" by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

Siegfried was too independent and strong-willed for his mother (Oxana Kiyanenko) to urge him insistently to get married. At the ball he seemed to realize that he needed to choose a wife, but the sheer array of potential brides was too much for him. Siegfried rejected them politely but firmly with a declining nod. Chudin is a superb actor; watching him one forgets that he is acting and instead feels with him. His gloom in the first act swept across the orchestra pit as did his love, excitement, and desperation.

Nureyev’s style was new to Chudin and made his performance stunningly fresh...........

Reaction to Jeff Koons' "Seated Ballerina" inflatable sculpture in Rockefeller Center.

But to Stahl, it's also a glaring example of the stereotypical "ballerina" image that replaces a dancer's grit and athleticism with fragility and demureness.