This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB @ KenCen DC, June 6-11, 2017

The casting:

NEW YORK CITY BALLET
PRINCIPAL CASTING FOR WASHINGTON D.C.,
June 6
-11, 2017
TUESDAY EVENING,
JUNE 6, 7:30 PM
SQUARE DANCE:
M. Fairchild, *Finlay [Conductor: Sill]
TARANTELLA:
Pereira, Hoxha [Conductor: Litton; Solo Piano: Walters]
pause
ODESSA:
Mearns
, Bouder, Hyltin, T. Angle, Stanley, De Luz [Conductor: Litton; Solo Violin: Delmoni]
RODEO: FOUR DANCE EPISODES:
T. Peck, J. Peck, Ulbricht, Garcia, Veyette [Conductor: Litton]
WEDNESDAY EVENING
, JUNE 7, 7:30 PM
SQUARE DANCE:
M. Fairchild, Finlay [Co
nductor: Sill]
TARANTELLA:
Pereira, Hoxha [Conductor: Litton; Solo Piano: Walters]
pause
ODESSA:
Mearns, Bouder, Hyltin, T. Angle, Stanley, De Luz [Conductor: Litton; Solo Violin: Delmoni]
T. Peck, J. Peck, Ulbricht, Garcia,
Veyette [Conductor: Litton]
THURSDAY EVENING,
JUNE 8
, 7:30
PM
[Conductor:
Litton
]
AMERICAN RHAPSODY:
Lovette, Janzen, Phelan, *Stanley [Solo Piano: Chelton]
THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS:
Wellington, Scordato, King, Alberda, Laracey, Sanz, Garcia, Mearns, J.
Angle, la Cour,
Reichlen [Solo Piano: Gosling]
THE TIMES ARE RACING:
T. Peck, Pollack, Lowery, Woodward, Isaacs, Stanley, Applebaum, Suozzi
FRIDAY EVENING,
JUNE 9
, 7:30 PM
[Conductor: Litton]
AMERICAN RHAPSODY:
Lovette, Janzen, Phelan, Stanley [Solo P
iano: Chelton]
THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS:
Wellington, Scordato, King, Alberda, Laracey, Sanz, Garcia, Mearns, J. Angle, la Cour,
Reichlen [Solo Piano: Gosling]
THE TIMES ARE RACING:
SA
TURDAY MATINEE, JUNE 10
, 1:30 PM
[Conductor:
Litton
]
AMERICAN RHAPSODY:
Lovette, Janzen, Phelan, Stanley [Solo Piano: Chelton]
THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS:
Wellington, Scordato, King, Alberda, Laracey, Sanz, Garcia, Scheller, T. Angle, la Cour,
Reichlen [Sol
o Piano: Gosling]
THE TIMES ARE RACING:
SATURDAY EVENING,
JUNE 10
, 7:30 PM
[Conductor:
Sill]
SQUARE DANCE:
Bouder, *Ball
TARANTELLA:
*Woodward, De Luz [Solo Piano: Walters]
pause
ODESSA:
Phelan, T. Peck, M. Fairchild, T. Angle, Stanley, Ulbricht
[Solo Violin: Delmoni]
Mearns
, J. Pe
ck, Ulbricht, Garcia, Veyette
SUNDAY MATINEE,
JUNE 11, 1:30
PM
[Conductor: Sill]
SQUARE DANCE:
Bouder, Ball
TARANTELL
A:
Woodward, De Luz [Solo Piano: Walters]
pause
ODESSA:
Phelan, T. Peck, M. Fairchild, T. Angle, Stanley, Ulbricht [Solo Violin: Delmoni]
Mearns, J. Peck, Ulbricht, Garcia, Veyette
* First Time in Role
PROGRAM AND CASTING
SUBJECT TO CHANGE (
05/
17/17

How long is Odessa?  The runtime for the actual dancing for the KC2 seems very short.  Do you think they'll add a 4rth short piece? Rodeo costumes look like rugby uniforms and men's/woman gymnastics while the sneaker looks like underarmour. 

Edited by maps
58 minutes ago, maps said:

How long is Odessa?  The runtime for the actual dancing for the KC2 seems very short.  

One of the reviews of ODESSA mentioned "...it clocks in at 20 minutes." 

The short Tarantella will precede it, followed by a pause. 

On 5/18/2017 at 11:18 AM, maps said:

How long is Odessa?  The runtime for the actual dancing for the KC2 seems very short.  Do you think they'll add a 4rth short piece? Rodeo costumes look like rugby uniforms and men's/woman gymnastics while the sneaker looks like underarmour. 

According to the Kennedy Center website, the total PERFORMANCE length is 81 minutes for the Tues., Wed.. Sat. evening, Sunday program (with Odessa being 24 minutes long) and 75 minutes for the other program. There are also 2 20-minute intermissions in each program, plus curtain calls. So all the shows should last in excess of 2 hours.

Edited by YouOverThere

Just returned from opening night of the tour at the Kennedy Center. Few thoughts from the performance:

Square Dance

-Megan Fairchild's port de bras was lovely, she brought out interesting bits of music with her arms that I would not have otherwise noticed. 

-Chase Finley always comes across the debonair, but I can understand the notes I've seen in recent reviews regarding a lower aptitude in partnering. My husband didn't notice anything, but I saw little fumbles during the quick steps

-Corps stand outs: Sarah Villwock, and Christopher Grant. Apprentice Kennard Henson had some missteps. 

Tarantella

-I've never seen this one before and it was a small joy. Erica Pereria was darling.

-Spartak Hoxha brought so much character and life for those eight minutes. Is the male part normally so virile and lively, or was this just a particularly good performance?

Odessa

-This one is still settling in for me

-I can appreciate how the play of shadow and light via the corps' movements was almost used as extension of the scenery (A la the second movement of Robbins's Glass Pieces), but the lighting was so dark I wasn't able to see the corps, whom I always enjoy watching. 

-Even though I've been listing to the music for this piece for the past several weeks on spotify (I make playlists for all the NYCB programs I can find music to-- feel free to follow me @MayRea), I didn't expect what I felt was a bit of an abrupt ending. 

-I think most of us come up with stories in our minds about what is occurring. I could easily follow the in-the-moment plot, but I found it difficult to string together. My husband had a poetic thought: the three principal men and three principal women are just one man and one woman at different stages of their relationship. Interested to hear what it mean to other NYCB fans who have seen this ballet since its premiere last month.

Rodeo

-Everything I could ever want in a ballet. I have been waiting since its premiere to see this piece and it exceeded all my expectations.

-Justin Peck danced the male lead for the pas, he had some missteps, but with Here/Now over, I'm not sure there were many options to assume the role originated by Amar Ramasar.

-Tiler Peck, as always was 10/10

-The whole ballet was meaningful while being very lighthearted. Hope and humanity was the core of how I saw this piece, I look forward to seeing it again.

-High five to Andrew Litton and the NYCB Orchestra on their own performance

-Corps Standouts: Harrison Coll, Peter Walker, Russel Janzen (not corps, but I wish he had a larger role in this one!)

I'll be at Thursday's performance of American Rhapsody, 4Ts, and Times are Racing and am looking forward to seeing more.

5 minutes ago, DC Export said:

Tarantella

-I've never seen this one before and it was a small joy. Erica Pereria was darling.

-Spartak Hoxha brought so much character and life for those eight minutes. Is the male part normally so virile and lively, or was this just a particularly good performance?

I can't speak to how it is performed now -- I've never seen PNB do it -- but it was made for Patricia McBride and Edward Villella, so virile and lively was what it was made for :)

Opening night at the KC. Absolutely love-love-love Ratmansky's ODESSA!!! The steps, execution, the costumes (tacky polyester is just right here), the mood lighting, the music -- oh, how I love the music!

The theme is part Grigorovich's GOLDEN AGE - with its 1920s nightclub for criminals - and part bastardized IN THE NIGHT (featuring three couples in diverse stages of a relationship). What a cast, especially the three principal ladies...Sara Mearns, Sterling Hyltin, Ashley Bouder...partnered by Stanley, DeLuz and T. Angle. Tall blonde Claire Kretzschmar was a corps standout here, as she was in Peck's Decalogue in NY. I can't wait to see this dramatic-yet-flowing ballet again on Saturday night (alternate casting). 

Peck's RO-DEO, starring Peck & Peck, almost bested ODESSA...but it was very exciting too. I don't quite get why the cowboys look like soccer players but no matter - it was fab movement to four famous portions of Copland's score for the old RODEO. The final Hoedown had the audience tapping its feet & cheering. 

Two Balanchines opened the program. First came a crisp, neat SQUARE DANCE starring Megan Fairchild and Chase Finlay...he tall & elegant and she maybe a bit too soft & sweet...but a legitimate alternative to the sass and zing of Ashley Bouder in recent memory.

The audience seemed to love TARANTELLA but I found Erica Pereira a tad too pert & definitely "off" the music in several spots, especially her diagonal of pirouettes en attitude. Spartak Hoxha, on the other hand, was spot-on in his musicality and seemed to be having the time of his life...although I may have blinked when, at one point he seemed to slip and/or dropped the tambourine. I literally looked into my purse to grab a cough drop, when I heard a slight thud and the audience gasping. So what exactly happened?

But it was all about the two newest ballets tonight. ODESSA and RO-DEO were the clear winners!

I'll return for the Saturday double header (Prog B at matinee & a repeat of today's program at night).

DC Export, the male in TARANTELLA is always this lively & bouncy. Probably the most eager beaver I've seen was Baryshnikov...a borderline lunatic flapping & bouncing next to McBride!!!  I still laugh just thinking about it. 

8 hours ago, Natalia said:

Spartak Hoxha, on the other hand, was spot-on in his musicality and seemed to be having the time of his life...although I may have blinked when, at one point he seemed to slip and/or dropped the tambourine. I literally looked into my purse to grab a cough drop, when I heard a slight thud and the audience gasping. So what exactly happened?

He hit the tambourine with so much gusto, one set of the symbols flew off. 

2 hours ago, sjmiller said:

The video is also on the Kennedy Center's youtube channel. I wonder how many tambourines they go through whenever they perform/rehearse Tarantella?

I am excited to see both performances on Saturday!

Thanks for the heads up. What a terrific clip! De Luz is such a charismatic performer. Hope someone found him a bandaid. ?

Great video. My goodness who wouldn't want to dance with DeLuz? Sometimes I think NYCB men are not mentioned enough, but for me he is one of the best dancers and partners around. I particularly love the way many NYCB men partner.

I want a bottle of whatever magic youth elixir DeLuz has gotten his hands on. Plus the guy is a total stage animal even in rehearsal. 

PS - Good to see Glenn Keenan again! And I wish they'd post a video of the actual performance so we could get a "before and after" look ... Woodward is a charming performer and I'd love to see what she does with the role.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
1 hour ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I want a bottle of whatever magic youth elixir DeLuz has gotten his hands on. Plus the guy is a total stage animal even in rehearsal. 

He spoke about his rehab from injury that he was told not only was career-ending, but would impact him for the rest of his life, and the man he found who helped him defy that prognosis in this interview with Michael Breeden and Rebecca King:

http://conversationsondancepod.com/2017/04/17/joaquin-de-luz-principal-dancer-new-york-city-ballet/

Wednesday's performance contained a surprisingly shaky (for the NYCB) rendition of Square Dance, with several missteps and a ballerina making an unchoreographed visit to the floor. It didn't help that the was a REALLY annoying man in the row in front of me, who was in almost constant motion and shifted from leaning way over to one to leaning way over to the other side every few seconds (I re-located to the end of the aisle for the rest of the program). They settled down for the rest of the program. I found Odessa to be by far the most interesting. Overall, the show seemed to lack passion (but I'll probably change my mind when I see it again - on a weekend).

Leaving, we found ourselves walking behind WB ballerina EunWon Lee. I was surprised how tall she is - probably in the 5'7" to 5'9" range.

Edited by YouOverThere