pherank

Keeping Up With SFB Veterans

Posted (edited)

Here's a video of Vanessa Zahorian and Davit Karapetyan's new studio home for the Pennsylvania Ballet Academy. Pretty nice for a regional ballet studio.

Edited by pherank

Posted (edited)

The Fjord Review just published an article about Aaron Robison:

Wanderlust
by PENELOPE FORD

The rigour of SFB’s schedule however proved challenging.

SFB has a radically different way of working and producing their season than most other ballet companies, Robison explained, rehearsing repertoire and new ballets in one half of the year, and maintaining a rigorous performance schedule from “The Nutcracker” until May.

“I found that challenging for the body,” he says. “I was a bit worried about my body, staying and working that way. I feel that when I’m doing a role, I need to learn the steps, take in the choreography and then perform it; that’s what works well for me.

“Each role you do, you want to give your best and it requires a lot of work and concentration. And some roles don’t come so naturally, so you have to work on how to make it look good on your body” he says, adding, “But that’s what’s addictive too, trying to own a role.”

Although Penelope Ford's quip in this quote doesn't come off right:

'Robison originated the role in Liam Scarlett’s “Frankenstein” (incidentally, he and Scarlett were in the same year at the Royal Ballet School), which he recently reprised as a guest artist. The company too, he notes, was not bad. “I’ve been lucky—I loved dancing with Sofiane Sylve, and loved dancing with Sasha de Sola, and Frances Chung.”'

The company was not bad? That's a weird summation - and I think that's Ford's doing, not Robison's actual comment.

It's interesting that Robison mentions wanting to perform in Onegin, but SFB just performed Onegin at the end of 2016 - wasn't he a part of that?

Edited by pherank

Aaron Robison danced with SFB for 2016 (mostly Nutcracker) - 2017 (January through May). Onegin was at the end of the 2016 spring season at the opera house and Aaron had not yet joined. 

5 minutes ago, Josette said:

Aaron Robison danced with SFB for 2016 (mostly Nutcracker) - 2017 (January through May). Onegin was at the end of the 2016 spring season at the opera house and Aaron had not yet joined. 

Thanks Josette.  ;)