This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kenna Draxton Retirement Announced

Ballet Arizona has announced in an email today and in an April 28 Facebook post that long-time fan favorite Kenna Draxton will be retiring in June. The email states a special performance to celebrate her contributions to Ballet Arizona will be Sunday, May 14, at 1 p.m. 

Edited by Arizona Native
On 5/1/2017 at 0:48 PM, Arizona Native said:

... The email states a special performance to celebrate her contributions to Ballet Arizona will be Sunday, May 14, at 1 p.m. 

Any indication there'll be a change to the repertory on that occasion?  There's nothing on the cast sheet.  I expect to be there for the weekend anyway:  Having enjoyed Natalia Magnicaballi's ability to fill out a role that calls for some characterization as well as large and clearly-legible and musical dancing, I was wondering whether I dared anticipate her in LeClercq's role in Western Symphony, and I see now Kenna Draxton, whose dancing I regret to say I know less well, is cast there too, three times.  

This looks like the kind of farewell celebration that has some fans, ahem, reflecting on how dancers' careers may be physically challenging for them, but emotionally challenging for us, too, at the end.

On the other hand, Draxton's going out with a bang - she has LeClercq's part and the second pas de trois in Agon on Sunday afternoon.  "Leave 'em wanting more," is the old show biz saying.   

Edited by Jack Reed
further thoughts