This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Petipa Bicentennial (March 11, 2018)

On 4/29/2017 at 5:00 PM, Natalia said:

The Ekaterinburg Ballet, Russia, is dedicating its entire 2017/18 season to the Petipa 200th celebration!

http://m.colta.ru/news/14477 

in addition to existing rep, such as the FILLE MAL GARDEE recon (pictured in the article), novelties include:

Nov 17, 2017: Vikharev/Gershenson new recon of complete PAQUITA

Mar 15, 2018: Yuri Burlaka's recon of the complete 2-act HARLEQUINADE

June 2018: - total rarity! - THE KING's COMMAND, chor by a team led by company A.D. Vyacheslav Samodurov. (Not clear if it'll be a recon or a "rethinking" a-la Lacotte) *Note: this ballet exists in the "Harvard Notes" in the 2-act version of 1900...as "Les Eleves de Dupre." It includes a very famous pdd that Petipa created for Virginia Zucchi & Enrico Cecchetti: "Fisherman & Pearl"...oh, that we may be seeing this gem!

July 7, 2018 - a gala of many Petipa gems, incl premiere of Burlaka's NAIAD & FISHERMAN SUITE (ONDINE suite)...a "Petipaniana" extravaganza!

Thank you, Laurent. Glad to hear about the Etoiles Pas in Cheboksary!

The June 2018 date for the Ekaterinburg King’s Command - and other Ekaterinburg plans to celebrate Petipa’s 200th - came from the above news report cited by Natalia in April 2017. Plans change and dates are pushed; for ex, the multi-year postponement of the Lacotte Ondine at the Mariinsky (from 2003 to 2006).

The final session of the recent Petipa Symposium presented by Moscow’s Bakhrushin Museum (July 8, 14:30 - 17:30, Panel 6: “Petipa Today: Brand or Kitsch?”) was to have included a speaker from the Ekaterinburg Theatre, Bogdan A. Korolek, on the topic “M. I. Petipa’s Ballet The King’s Command: Then and Now.” It would be interesting to read a summary of that presentation once the symposium proceedings might be published.

If, as Laurent writes, Ekaterinburg has scrapped the Imperial-era score (by Vizentini, rearranged by and supplemented by Drigo for Petipa’s last, two-act version of King’s Command) then what’s the point? That’s an even bigger sin in bringing back a ballet than making significant changes to the original designs, IMO. Think Schedrin’s new score for The Little Humpbacked Horse supplanting the Imperial era’s Pugni et. al. Totally different ballet. Also, one of Andris Liepa’s “recreations” of Diaghilev-era ballets used a different musical score than the original (his presentation of Fokine’s Dieu Bleu ditched Reynaldo Hahn’s score for a pastiche of Scriabin tunes...but performed with the original Bakst designs). 

Edited by CharlieH

According to Yekaterinburg Ballet website (Russian) the program of the July 7-8 galas is as follows (Google translation) :  "Two evenings on the stage of the theater - the festival of virtuosic dance - a parade of fragments of classical ballets and premieres of the Ural choreographers loved by the public.

Both concerts will open the second act of Swan Lake: Prince Siegfried has reached the age of majority and should choose a bride, but the bridesmanship violates the arrival of unexpected guests, Baron Rothbart and his daughter Odile - the Black Swan. A lavish palace feast, a defile of luxurious medieval dresses, a series of brilliant national dances, a whirlwind of thirty-two fueta ballerinas - all that is so dear to the audience heart for the second century already.

The program of the second and third departments is composed according to the applications of the artists. It was based on classical numbers from among the most popular and most performed in the world: pas de deux from the ballets Don Quixote and Corsair, duets from the ballets of this year's jubilee, Marius Petipa - Talisman and Millions of Harlequin, masterpieces of Soviet ballet heroics - "Veshnie Vody" and pas de deux from the "Flame of Paris". After a long break, the classic from the classics Grand Pas to the music of Aubert will return to the Ekaterinburg scene.

New numbers are presented by Anton Pimonov and Igor Bulytsin, well known to the public (the program of their new ballets MADE IN URAL, shown in the outgoing season, was a great success for viewers and metropolitan experts), as well as Konstantin Khlebnikov, the troupe artist and the participant of the project "Dance Platform" .

The intrigue of gala concerts will be the participation of famous Yekaterinburg designers of clothes. Details of the project will be announced later. The commonwealth of ballet companies and fashion designers is becoming fashionable on the world stage, and in our country the Ural Opera Ballet was the first to make such a move: before our eyes Ekaterinburg becomes the legislator of theatrical fashion - in every sense of the word"

Speaking of the distinguished Ekaterinburg Ballet panelist, Bogdan Korolek...

Edited/update: go to his Vimeo channel — google “Bogdan Korolek Vimeo” — to see two extraordinary clips that he posted on his Vimeo site of Vikharev’s reconstruction of Petipa's Fille Mal Gardee (Waltz and Galop). 

[deleted direct link, as all attempts to post links to the two Fille excerpts took us to an excerpt from Naiad & Fisherman]

The Fille excerpts were professionally filmed, allowing us to appreciate the gorgeous designs of Vikharev’s Fille in all of its glory. Gnossie and others are correct; what a delight! This production MUST tour to NY and London!

Edited by CharlieH

thank you for  this.love it!.though the clip i can see  says the naiad and the fisherman on the upper left of the clip is it that ballet? ,have  seen   one varaition on youtube of vaganova school performance ,[no set design].  it's wonderful music . is it by pugni?

would love to see the la fille mal garde  clip too.wish we could get to see these .

Edited by tabitha

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Speaking of the distinguished Ekaterinburg Ballet panelist, Bogdan Korolek...

Here is a link to two extraordinary clips that he posted on his Vimeo site of Vikharev’s reconstruction of Petipa's Fille Mal Gardee (Waltz and Galop):

These were professionally filmed, allowing us to appreciate the gorgeous designs of Vikharev’s Fille in all of its glory. Gnossie and others are correct; what a delight! This production MUST tour to NY and London!

This is the "Naiad and Fisherman", a reconstruction (?) by Yuri Burlaka, not Vikharev's "La fille mal gardée" which, by the way, is not a reconstruction but a conglomerate of a lot of things.

Sorry. Just google “Bogdan Korolek Vimeo” to get his full channel, including the two Fille excerpts. Whenever I try to copy the link to any of his vids, only Naiad appears. Vimeo doesn’t seem to work like YouTube. Oh well, I tried.

55 minutes ago, tabitha said:

thank you for  this.love it!.though the clip i can see  says the naiad and the fisherman on the upper left of the clip is it that ballet? ,have  seen   one varaition on youtube of vaganova school performance ,[no set design].  it's wonderful music . is it by pugni?

would love to see the la fille mal garde  clip too.wish we could get to see these .

You’ll have to google “Bogdan Korolek Vimeo” to see the full set of vids that he’s uploaded, as I mentioned in the last post. It’s worth the bit of detective work!

The Ekaterinburg Fille was most definitely a reconstruction by Sergei Vikharev - the last of his great reconstructions using the Harvard Stepanov notes.

Here’s an amateaur film of the pdd...but Bogdan’s professional film shows off the designs more beautifully. In the meantime, enjoy this! 

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The Ekaterinburg Fille was most definitely a reconstruction by Sergei Vikharev - the last of his great reconstructions using the Harvard Stepanov notes.

As I had written earlier under some thread, I saw this Tshetnaya (FMG) when Yekat performed it at the Bolshoy in 2016 as their Z. Maska entry. Cannot comment on steps, costumes or scenery which to me looked like the good old FMG we all know. The striking difference was the addition of a "Ballet Class" as prologue and epilogue which struck me as rather odd. At the time I could not read Russian but have just looked at the program (Russian only) again and it actually credits these to "Conservatory" by Bournonville. So what's the big deal - I still don't get it !

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

You’ll have to google “Bogdan Korolek Vimeo” to see the full set of vids that he’s uploaded, as I mentioned in the last post. It’s worth the bit of detective work!

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Sorry. Just google “Bogdan Korolek Vimeo” to get his full channel, including the two Fille excerpts. Whenever I try to copy the link to any of his vids, only Naiad appears. Vimeo doesn’t seem to work like YouTube. Oh well, I tried.

thank you  i loved the naiad anyway even if  i can' t fine the other one.

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Here’s an amateaur film of the pdd...but Bogdan’s professional film shows off the designs more beautifully. In the meantime, enjoy this! 

Vikharev's Fille mal gardée is not a reconstruction in the proper sense of the word, and Vikharev himself was admitting this in 2015. Let's begin from the video clip you posted: it doesn't represent a reconstructed Petipa-Ivanov choreography, it is  the final Pas de deux by Gorsky from the Moscow production of la Fille mal gardée, with later, Soviet times, extensions. Vikharev borrowed fragments from a number of disparate sources; he interpolated a pas de deux from Bournonville's Kermessen i Brügge into the Field scene; the resulting choreographic text was diverse and nonhomogenous. Was this the reason to make it even more of a mélange of all sorts of things by designing decorations and costumes inspired by van Gogh, and by inserting into the ballet the class from Bournonville's Konservatoriet, I don't know. The final result, however, is a production that by no means is a reconstruction of the Petipa-Ivanov's, or any other version, of la Fille mal gardée and, apparently, wasn't meant to be.

It would had been quite interesting if the Cuban company had brought their after-Nijinska version of La Fille mal Gardee" to their recent visit to US. This version has been active and untouched in Alonso's company since 1948. I saw it many times, and it is quite delightful. In many occasions I heard interviews with Alicia in which she said she had decided to leave the ballet exactly as she had danced it during her 20 years tenure with Ballet Theatre. Considering that Nijinska staged it after what she remembered from her days is Petersburg, I think this is quite a valuable link with Petipa. I had never seen any other version of the ballet up until I came to US and, to my surprise, saw the entirely different Ashton's with a different score. I had assumed that this ballet was in its Hertel version all around the world, and it looks like it is the total opposite case. 

Here's a very young Rolando Sarabia as Colin and Anissa Curbelo as Lisette. Enjoy!

On 6/18/2018 at 8:49 PM, Gnossie said:
  • It was meant to be precisely that, a conglomerate of many (beautiful) things, and the Harvard notes were used.
  • It was NOT Vikharev's last reconstruction, that is The Pharaoh's Daughter, which it's being finished soon. 
  • Burlaka's "Naiad and Fisherman" it's not a reconstruction. (But the costumes are based on historical records)
  • Les Eleves de Dupre is pending at Ekaterinburg due to schedule conflict (which deprived Harlequinade of being performed early on this year although it will hit Moscow next year for the Golden Mask)

Thank you, Gnossie. You are ultimate authority on all-things Vikharev. 👌

On 6/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, CharlieH said:

Does anybody know if the reconstruction of Petipa’s King’s Command (aka Les Eleves de Dupre) for Russia’s Ekaterinburg Ballet happened this month? It was announced last fall by the troupe’s AD Vyacheslav Samodurov, set to happen in June 2018. It was to have been staged...

Samodurov’s new version of The King’s Command opens October 11. Not at all a Petipa recon - new steps, scenario, music & designs. Only the title remains, making one wonder “What’s the point?” even though it supposedly honors Petipa. 

http://www.uralopera.ru/afisha/show.php?id=21169

Edited by CharlieH

i also would like to see a real   reconstruction of Petipa’s King’s Command (aka Les Eleves de Dupre), where is gnossie!

and  all her wonderful comments have disappeared ,, why?

Edited by tabitha

16 hours ago, tabitha said:

i also would like to see a real   reconstruction of Petipa’s King’s Command (aka Les Eleves de Dupre), where is gnossie!

and  all her wonderful comments have disappeared ,, why?

Gnossie is listed as “inactive member.” 

L’Ordre du Roi remains one of a handful of ballets among the Sergeev notes (Harvard) that have yet to be used for a staging. Above, Laurent mentioned a part of that ballet (Pas des Etoiles) that was recently staged by Danil’ Salimbaev, the ballet master of Russia’s Chuvash State Opera and Ballet Theatre in Cheboksary. Even that appears to be a new creation as part of a Petipa Tribute mixed bill, not using the Harvard notes. At least Salimbaev used the correct musical score by Vizentini, unlike Samodurov in Ekaterinburg.

A link to the Chuvash Theatre’s Page on the Petipa Tribute evening that included the Pas des Etoiles.

http://opera21.ru/page.php?id=3788

Since it’s just in Russian, I’ve translated the list of ballets shown:

Dream of Aurora” by Salimbaev to Tchaikovsky music...apparently a new ballet based on Sleeping Beauty (!)

Pas des Etoiles from L’Ordre du Roi” to Vizentini music, by Salimbaev

Shades from Bayadere” by Petipa, to Minkus

Act II from Paquita” (Grand Pas) by Petipa, to Minkus

The accompanying page of photos for this program:

http://opera21.ru/page.php?id=3786

The few pics of a couple in blue must be from the Pas des Etoiles...just before the pics of the Shades.

Edited by CharlieH

3 minutes ago, tabitha said:

thank you  i s aw that but such a shame all her wonderful comments have  been deleted . i enjoyed reading them and agreed  with them all.

So did I. Sometimes it’s the choice of the member to remove his/her contributions when leaving the group. Just guessing.