volcanohunter

2017-18 Bolshoi cinema season

33 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Miserable ex-Mariinsky dancers, miserable dyed-in-the-wool Bolshoi dancers and the dilution of the Moscow style.

Yes, and the miserables seem to be spending a lot more time on the road than I remember seeing last year, perhaps just to get away from the shouting man. :(

I guess both Filin and Vaziev and Ratmansky before them oversaw progressive dilution of the Moscow style.  How much of that was/is driven by a desire to keep Russian ballet relevant to the rest of the world, I wonder?  Certainly the whole notion of Bolshoi in Cinema was to show the rest of the world the best of Russian ballet, and perhaps there had been a realization that the rest of the world might not be as appreciative of the full-on Moscow style as the Moscow audiences are -- for the most part we are presented with watered down versions, Zakarhova in Giselle, for example.  What we are seeing this season may represent a shifting away from western tastes, a phenomenon that can be observed in other areas of Russian culture as well.  If Krysanova is Alexandrova's successor as the best exponent of the Moscow style (in its current state), could this be why she is repeatedly being cast in the broadcasts, even in unsuitable roles like Medora?  This does not seem to be a successful tactic for attracting western audiences to the movie theaters, but perhaps attracting western audiences is no longer the primary goal of Bolshoi in Cinema.

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

Uh, not really trying to pry here, but why the mention of Vaziev and Gergiev's ethnicity?

Sadly, I think it's relevant to the way Gergiev and Vaziev operate. Think back to the last World Ballet Day. Whom did we see in rehearsals? Pupils of Svetlana Adyrkhaeva (who is also from North Ossetia) and pupils of Olga Chenchikova (who is Vaziev's wife) and no one else. Who danced the Tall Girl during the New York tour? Any principal dancers? No. There was a junior soloist, Yulia Grebenshchikova, and a corps member, Olga Marchenkova. What do they have in common? Grebenshchikova recently changed coaches, but at the time both were pupils of Adyrkhaeva.

I am not suggesting that Krysanova and Stashkevich are trying the advance their careers by training under Andyrkhaeva. They've been with her for years. But Anna Nikulina's career has skyrocketed since she left the tutelage of Lyudmila Semenyaka and switched to Chenchikova. Vaziev clearly has little use for the Moscow style, but these graduates of the Moscow Ballet School are doing okay.

From my point of view, and I want to emphasize that, Vaziev's leadership looks like a combination of anti-Moscow style disdain, tribalism and a sort of artistic nepotism.

Adyrkhaeva has been a senior ballet mistress for a very long time, I saw her give company classes on tour when Ratmansky was in charge, I would have thought her prominence has more to do with her effectiveness than the fact she hails from North Ossetia.  Dancers change their personal coaches throughout their careers, I don't see anything sinister in that.

10 hours ago, Helene said:

There are also dancers on the record who left the Mariinsky to go the Bolshoi in part, at least, because of Vaziev's direction, which makes it a bitter situation to again find him as the boss, like an episode of "The Prisoner."

Helene, I only know of one Mariinsky dancer, who left Mariinsky to go to Bolshoi, when Vaziev was in charge, and that is Andrei Merkuriev, who is now under contract, so not listed as a soloist, but Vaziev recently removed his soloist status ( leading or 1st soloist.)  Lobukhin and Obraztsova left because of Fateyev.   Smirnova,  Stepanova, Zhighanshina,  Kovalyova,  Sevenard and Yangurazov plus corps  ballerinas, Tatiana Tiliguzova, Olga Kalinina.and Sofya Smirnova are all at Bolshoi because of Fateyev.

2 hours ago, MadameP said:

Helene, I only know of one Mariinsky dancer, who left Mariinsky to go to Bolshoi, when Vaziev was in charge, and that is Andrei Merkuriev, who is now under contract, so not listed as a soloist, but Vaziev recently removed his soloist status ( leading or 1st soloist.)  

Did Svetlana Zakharova leave Mariinsky for Bolshoi, when Vaziev was in charge? 
Andrei Merkuriev left Mariinsky for being invited by Radmansky, but not kicked by Vaziev, :o according to gramilano’s interview with Merkuriev few yeas ago - Andrey Merkuriev answers the Gramilano Questionnaire

1 hour ago, yudi said:

Did Svetlana Zakharova leave Mariinsky for Bolshoi, when Vaziev was in charge? 
Andrei Merkuriev left Mariinsky for being invited by Radmansky, but not kicked by Vaziev, :o according to gramilano’s interview with Merkuriev few yeas ago - Andrey Merkuriev answers the Gramilano Questionnaire

I COMPLETELY forgot about Zakharova - oops! - of course,  you are right.  But re Merkuriev, I never said he was kicked out by Vaziev, only that he left while Vaziev was in charge!  

Artem Yachmennikov also left the Mariinsky during the Vaziev era, eventually landing at the Bolshoi for a while. Not sure is he is still in Russia.

I never claimed that any dancers were kicked out by Vaziev: people leave jobs on their own, whether or not they are recruited elsewhere beforehand, or they make it clear to their network that they are available, or with nothing clear ahead of them, because they no longer want to work for their boss or institution, new or old, every day.  

In most ways, ballet is a business like any other: there are x jobs, and most of them have bosses, and all of them have corporate cultures, and people make their own internal trade-offs to work for those bosses/institutions or leave.  We like to think that the stakes are higher for ballet, because of the investment in training, but there are other professions that have a similarly small number of openings for a large number of candidates who have invested the same time and training into their professions, like in academia, where the number of tenured spots is shrinking, and the people who hold onto those spots do so for twice as long as Principal Dancers.

16 hours ago, Helene said:

There are also dancers on the record who left the Mariinsky to go the Bolshoi in part, at least, because of Vaziev's direction, which makes it a bitter situation to again find him as the boss, like an episode of "The Prisoner."

Oh ouch!

I would like to see these two in the R&J broadcast.

Edited by Quinten

On 11/28/2017 at 5:53 AM, canbelto said:

Uh, not really trying to pry here, but why the mention of Vaziev and Gergiev's ethnicity?

Wondering about this too. Shared North Ossetian ethnicity did nothing to prevent the major falling out between these two back in 2008.