This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

naomikage mentioned this information on a different thread, but I'll start a new one for future reference.

22 October 2017
Petipa (Ratmansky, Burlaka)/Adam, Delibes et al.: Le Corsaire

26 November 2017

Maillot/Shostakovich: The Taming of the Shrew (repeat)

17 December 2017

Grigorovich/Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker (repeat)

21 January 2018
Ratmansky/Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet

4 February 2018
Neumeier/Chopin: The Lady of the Camellias (repeat)

4 March 2018
Ratmansky, Vainonen/Asafiev: Flames of Paris

8 April 2018

Coralli, Perrot, Petipa (Grigorovich)/Adam: Giselle (repeat)

10 June 2018
Petipa, Cecchetti (Vikharev)/Delibes: Coppélia

http://www.pathelive.com/programme/ballet-du-bolcho

The information about Romeo and Juliet is a little confusing, because the description states that this will be Ratmansky's production, while the sidebar cites Grigorovich. (The Pathé Live site has become sloppy lately.) Naturally, I'm wondering whether this is the same production Ratmansky staged for the National Ballet of Canada a few years ago. That version, it has to be said, is not universally loved by audiences and critics, but it can't be worse than the Grigorovich version the company has now. :pinch:

Edited by volcanohunter
broken link
On 4/1/2017 at 1:34 AM, sandik said:

Since I haven't seen the Ratmansky version for the Canadians, I'm hoping that is what we'll see here.

Greta Hodgkinson and Aleksandar Antonijevic from the National Ballet of Canada have been in Moscow for the last couple of weeks teaching the Bolshoi the Ratmansky R&J, so I am sure that is the version that will be broadcast. Not that I would pay to go and see it, mind.

3 hours ago, Quinten said:

As of yesterday, Ekaterina Krysanova replaced Olga Smirnova as Medora in the upcoming broadcast of Bolshoi's Le Corsaire.  Adding to the confusion, a trailer was just published today featuring Denis Rodkin and Yulia Stepanova in the lead roles.  We may not know who will actually be dancing until we see the broadcast!

The Bolshoi trailers for particular ballet broadcasts have often featured dancers not actually appearing in the broadcast itself.  If Krysanova is now cast for that performance then I imagine that is who audiences will see.   (Of course, with the Bolshoi, one doesn't know anything until it happens...and maybe not even then.)

I would enjoy seeing this broadcast, but -- barring unexpected events -- will be traveling that day, actually returning from a trip to see some live ballet. I'm a little bummed about the confluence of dates though.

The Ratmansky Romeo and Juliet has curiosity value to me and likely I will try to see it.

The little "explanatory" trailers in which dancers talk about particular ballets are shot way in advance, usually toward the end of the previous season, judging by Instagram feeds, so by the time the actual performance rolls around four, six or nine months later, casting can look entirely different.

7 hours ago, kbarber said:

Greta Hodgkinson and Aleksandar Antonijevic from the National Ballet of Canada have been in Moscow for the last couple of weeks teaching the Bolshoi the Ratmansky R&J, so I am sure that is the version that will be broadcast. Not that I would pay to go and see it, mind.

Well, I'll be there, barring disasters -- I'm always curious to see what people do with this score/plot

On 10/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, Drew said:

The Bolshoi trailers for particular ballet broadcasts have often featured dancers not actually appearing in the broadcast itself.  If Krysanova is now cast for that performance then I imagine that is who audiences will see.   (Of course, with the Bolshoi, one doesn't know anything until it happens...and maybe not even then.)

Bolshoi needs to listen to Ratmansky's opinion for casting?

8 hours ago, yudi said:

Bolshoi needs to listen to Ratmansky's opinion for casting?

I am a little confused Yudi...you quoted me when you made this comment, but I wasn't saying anything about Ratmansky. I was commenting on the trailers for the broadcasts and whether or not the dancers in them can be expected to be in the broadcasts they advertize. 

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

I am a little confused Yudi...you quoted me when you made this comment, but I wasn't saying anything about Ratmansky. I was commenting on the trailers for the broadcasts and whether or not the dancers in them can be expected to be in the broadcasts they advertize. 

Sorry for confusing you. I didn’t mean that. :unsure:

As discussed in this forum the casting of Medora, the first option is Smirnova, then second Krysanova. And you mentioned Stepanova, so I thought the final choice of Medora(dancer) may get input from the choreographer Ratmansky.

50 minutes ago, yudi said:

Sorry for confusing you. I didn’t mean that. :unsure:

As discussed in this forum the casting of Medora, the first option is Smirnova, then second Krysanova. And you mentioned Stepanova, so I thought the final choice of Medora(dancer) may get input from the choreographer Ratmansky.

I see :) ...

Stepanova's Medora debut was magnificent.   Much as I like Krysanova (in some roles) I think Stepanova/Rodkin as shown in the trailer, would have been my preferred choice of cast for the online broadcast, or Stepanova/Lobukhin, with whom she is actually dancing on 18th - he is such an amazing, charismatic actor/artist!

Her debut?  How can it be a debut when she danced it in London last year?  Are you saying it was her debut in Moscow?  If so I'm disgusted that the Bolshoi used London as a try-out, the company gave us a number of sub standard performances last year including Smirnova's below par Kitri on opening night, but Stapanova's dreary mistake ridden Medora was the absolute nadir. 

Krysanova didn't put a foot wrong in Corsaire and to my astonishment she is actually winning over those hard core RB fans with their sniffy attitudes to Russian dancers.  She also, along with Alexandrova and their partners, recently participated in a project here to present ballet to underprivileged kids.  She was on top form and deserves all the cinema exposure she can get.

7 hours ago, Quinten said:

Here are some of my impressions of the Bolshoi's broadcast of Le Corsaire, which I saw this afternoon at my local theater.

Seems we have quite different perceptions about dancers - I saw both Stipanova and Krysanova live at

the Bolshoy last week and have no doubts about who was the better and more confident dancer :

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/43049-two-casts-of-karsar-aka-corsaire-at-the-balshoy/

Stipanova has a lot of fans on this forum and I respect their views, it's just that I have to see more

of her and be convinced, if !

14 hours ago, Quinten said:

The trailer featuring Stepanova and Rodkin, two of the most gorgeous people on planet earth, was shown in the cinema immediately before the broadcast and contrasted in a jarring way with what was seen during the broadcast performance.  Maybe this casting was due to accidents of dancer health and availability, or maybe it reflects internal Bolshoi politics, or a repudiation of Vaziev's preference for Vaganova dancers, but the end result did not I think show the best that Bolshoi has to offer.

I find it disturbing if dancers are reduced to their looks, to most it is actual dancing that matters and being 'gorgeous' is of a lot less consequence.

Last year saw I four Bolshoi Corsaires in London , the Medoras were Alexandrova, Nikulina, Stepanova and Krysanova.  The only one with issues was Stepanova and the best was without doubt Krysanova.  I don't see how any other dancer could even be considered for the broadcast - she's that far out in front.

Like the previous poster I'm not wild about Stepanova either and her fan following baffles me.

3 hours ago, Mashinka said:

I find it disturbing if dancers are reduced to their looks, to most it is actual dancing that matters and being 'gorgeous' is of a lot less consequence.

Dance on film or video seems to operate with a slightly different set of criteria -- remember Alexandra Danilova lost her role in the Hollywood film of Gaite Parisienne because she wasn't considered beautiful enough.

3 hours ago, Mashinka said:

Last year saw I four Bolshoi Corsaires in London , the Medoras were Alexandrova, Nikulina, Stepanova and Krysanova.  The only one with issues was Stepanova and the best was without doubt Krysanova.  I don't see how any other dancer could even be considered for the broadcast - she's that far out in front.

Like the previous poster I'm not wild about Stepanova either and her fan following baffles me.

I agree completely that dancers should not be judged on their looks but rather on their dancing.  I thought Krysanova was phenomenal as Medora.  I recall also seeing her in a Bolshoi DQ a few years ago and she was wonderful as Kitri.  

22 minutes ago, Marta said:

I recall also seeing her in a Bolshoi DQ a few years ago and she was wonderful as Kitri.  

Last year on one day at the Balshoy I saw Krysanova at the matinee and Zaharova in the evening as Kitri.

Although normally I can't get enough of Zaharova for this role I had to give the decision to Katyusha.

For pure classicism in the role of Medora, then Yulia Stepanova should have been the obvious choice for the broadcast.  Her Medora at Bolshoi on 18th was exquisite, and especially in the jardin anime scene and the final act, where she has far more refinement than Krysanova.  That said, Krysanova has such sparkle and acts well, but she does not have the beautiful flowing arms or upper body of Stepanova..  Yes, of course Stepanova is very beautiful -  and that never hurts! - but that's only one part of her appeal.  I find her acting and her way of inhabiting a role so very natural that really she can perform any role.  It depends what you want to see in a role - but for me, Stepanova is the ultimate Medora.  

17 minutes ago, MadameP said:

but for me, Stepanova is the ultimate Medora.

I do respect your view but we will probably agree to disagree for ever :D. After all, isn't beauty

in the eye of the beholder ?? Anyway I have to see more of Stipanova to be able to have a firm

opinion.

1 hour ago, Quinten said:

.  If we accept this as a museum piece, there should be no problem favoring a beautiful Medora over one who is average looking (other things being equal), because back then, heroines were expected to be beautiful. 

If we’ve gone this long accepting blonde haired, blue eyed, pasty white Europeans as Indians, Persians, Egyptians, or whatever culture the ballet is portraying, it should take no effort to accept Krysanova as Medora. 

And btw, would Maria Surovshchikova, who was Petipa’s wife and danced Medora in one of his revivals, meet today’s beauty standards?