mussel

Mariinsky Bayadere KennCen Oct 22-17, 17

37 posts in this topic

Lots of positives:

Kim Kimin is "in"! Opening night with Tereshkina, no less.

Lovely Batoeva as Gamzatti for 2 shows. Definite up-and-comer who just debuted as Giselle today.

USA-favorite "Big Red" Kondaurova is Nikiya to Batoeva's Gamzatti. So we can still enjoy "Big Red" after "Big Brunette" was fired from ABT....grrrr. 

Happy that Yermakov is coming but..."guess who" is his Nikiya. Oi! (Maybe "Big Brunette" can stand by in the wings in case Yermakov's Nikiya doesn't appear? Sorry!!!)

On the other hand...

No Schklyarov; still in Munich? But he'll be on the London tour next month.

Yet again the two most precious First Soloists are left off tours to DC: Osmolkina & Novikova...never to be Principals? But they will be in London (assuming that London assignments haven't changed).

Despite having been cast as Nikiya at home recently, "Project Chebykina" isn't happening. Not winning a medal at last month's Moscow IBC may have hurt. She shared a non-laureate "diploma" with Joy Womack. (I recall that when Obraztsova won the gold medal in 2005, she said that Mariinsky management had told her that she was expected to win gold "or else"...)

well, I have been curious about Skorik ever since "A beautiful Tragedy" so it seems I will have my curiosity satisfied during the Sat/Mat, as long as casting doesn't change.   

I take 'subject to change' very seriously, especially when it comes to Russian companies on tour, but if we get these three ballerinas as Nikiya  (and nothing interferes with my travel plans) I will count myself very happy!

For those who follow the Mariinsky casting ups and downs more closely than I do, does this casting shed any light on the SCFTA casting for Chopiniana, Scheherezade, Spectre, or Dying Swan the week before?

10 hours ago, ksk04 said:

For those who follow the Mariinsky casting ups and downs more closely than I do, does this casting shed any light on the SCFTA casting for Chopiniana, Scheherezade, Spectre, or Dying Swan the week before?

Due to the brevity of the ballets being performed, as well as timing following their respective maternity leaves, you may get Alina Somova and/or Kristina Shapran in California. Shapran definitely back to performing at home; Somova not yet. Remember that Lopatkina returned to performing as Scheherazade in the SCFTA, following her long absence due to a combination of injuries and maternity leave...so maybe this will be Somova's return?

It is sort of sad that the really only exciting and interesting casting decions are the Gamzattis......Tereshkina as Nikiya will be technically excellent especially in turns (scarf variation especially), but overall ho hum casting for Nikiya, in my personal opinion. But one of the few upwardly mobile Mariinsky ballerinas Batoeva as Gamzatti should be very interesting, and Kolegova might be a very interesting Gamzatti as well.  The corps will be the star of these performances, I suspect.

Not sure I will fly up for this particular tour. Spending my money on the Mariinsky's London tour instead for many Swan Lakes and a couple of DQs.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Birdsall said:

It is sort of sad that the really only exciting and interesting casting decions are the Gamzattis......Tereshkina as Nikiya will be technically excellent especially in turns (scarf variation especially), but overall ho hum casting for Nikiya, in my personal opinion. But one of the few upwardly mobile Mariinsky ballerinas Batoeva as Gamzatti should be very interesting, and Kolegova might be a very interesting Gamzatti as well.  The corps will be the star of these performances, I suspect.

Not sure I will fly up for this particular tour. Spending my money on the Mariinsky's London tour instead for many Swan Lakes and a couple of DQs.

I would love to have gone to London! Not practical this year unfortunately.  Please do report on what you see.  If I could have gone to London, then I might also have taken a pass on D.C. But I most certainly want to see the Mariinsky in Bayadere as I never have. I am also keener on the D.C.casting than you.

I actually just deleted a long paragraph about Mariinsky Nikiya options: what it amounted to was that...At today's Mariinsky, we could do a lot worse when it comes to casting Nikiya than Tereshkina, Kondaurova, and Skorik and ... not a lot better. (I am thinking of real options, not fantasy ones like 'why don't they cast X.')  I don't actually mean that as terrible knock on the company, though I was secretly hoping that for once Novikova would tour.

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to seeing all three ballerinas announced. But if the ballerinas disappoint and the corps is the star as you say--well, in Bayadere, that will be substantial compensation...

I will say my favorite Nikiya of all time is a very different dancer from any of the Mariinsky ballerinas--Alina Cojocaru.

Edited by Drew

Novikova's Nikiya debut this season was miraculous - what a great shame that America will not see this.  It was shamefully overdue.  She and Alina Somova for me are the best Mariinsky Nikiyas now.  Nadia Batoeva is an excellent Gamzatti - she is wonderful in everything she dances - but Mariinsky have several outstanding Gamzattis at the moment.  Fateev's casting for overseas tours as usual leaves a great deal to be desired.  

I can't contain my excitement over the casting. I know Skorik has many detractors but to me she is one of the most beautiful ballerinas and I am so excited to see her in La Bayaedere. Tomorrow morning my alarm will ring earlier than usual when the time finally comes to buy my tickets.

18 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I can't contain my excitement over the casting. I know Skorik has many detractors but to me she is one of the most beautiful ballerinas and I am so excited to see her in La Bayaedere. Tomorrow morning my alarm will ring earlier than usual when the time finally comes to buy my tickets.

Both times I've seen Skorik dance live, I thought she danced beautifully. Like you, I'm looking forward to her Nikiya -- though a wee bit worried about the impact of her recent injury which I infer is rather serious as she has missed a number of performances.

Husband & I weren't going to this but have caved in to one performance - Saturday night, whoever may be dancing. Presently it's supposed to be Kondaurova/Askerov/Batoeva....subject to change. The Shades will always be there. :)

12 minutes ago, Natalia said:

Husband & I weren't going to this but have caved in to one performance - Saturday night, whoever may be dancing. Presently it's supposed to be Kondaurova/Askerov/Batoeva....subject to change. The Shades will always be there. :)

Well yes, the Shades will always be there.  So will the Wilies -- they're all dead!