dirac

Thursday, February 16

Viral video of dads in dance class.

The Philadelphia Dance Center invited parents to participate in their Valentine's Day dance classes. The dads who came to ballet class sure gave it their all!

Colorado Ballet extends an invitation to area refugees.

The ballet connected with the refugees through Denver's International Rescue Committee, a group that responds to international humanitarian crises and recently opened a chapter in Denver. Some multilingual students who speak Arabic, French and Swahili will assist in translating conversations between the NGO, the ballet company and the young refugees at a gathering preceding the ballet.

Q&A with Robert Barnett.

NDC You auditioned for the New York City Ballet in 1949, a little over a year after the troupe was formed. Can you talk about the audition?

RB: I saw the notice in Variety, that they needed a boy. There was an audition on the fifth floor of the City Center. [New York City Ballet was then the resident company at the City Center of Music and Drama, now called New York City Center.] That was in December 1949. I had returned from Europe in April of that year and had gone to St. Louis, Missouri, to do summer theatre, just so I could make some money. I came back [to New York] and I was studying and I was doing terrible TV shows just to make ends meet. I saw this notice and decided I’d go give it a try. I walked in, and there were at least 200 boys in that room. I thought to myself, “Well, you’re either going to get this or you’re not, but you’re going to be aggressive,” so I was the first boy out on everything. All the steps: Learned it and did it. I was the only boy they took. Which surprised me, because I didn’t know they were just looking for one boy. After the audition, they [George Balanchine, Jerome Robbins and Lincoln Kirstein] called me over and said, “You’ve got the job.” And that’s all they said to me.

A  feature on Justin Peck's new piece for the Joffrey Ballet.

They are guided by Justin Peck. Just 29 years old, Peck is a soloist and resident choreographer with the New York City Ballet – and he chose the music of his friend, the songwriter Sufjan Stevens.

Justin Peck: I always felt like he had this innate ability to write danceable music. It has to be music that challenges myself and the dancers, and that can be present in the melody, it can be present in the time signatures, it can be present in the complexity of orchestrations.

Refugee families recently arrived in Colorado are invited to a performance of Colorado Ballet.

Gil Boggs, the artistic director of the Colorado Ballet, told Denver7 the invitation was in no way political.

He said that since children of the families have no residency status and therefore, cannot attend school, the ballet saw it as a good opportunity to be inclusive and show new community members what life in the Mile High City was about.

A review of the Joffrey Ballet by Lauren Warnecke in The Chicago Tribune.

"Game Changers," at times, tastes just like New York City Ballet. But what Joffrey does better than most everybody else is infuse dances with humanity, personality and individuality. Joffrey's mix and match of heights, backgrounds and styles prevents any of these works from feeling staunchly Balanchinian, and while that works really well in something like "Fool's Paradise," it can detract from the airtight formations and timing required by Peck's work.

A memorial service will be held in March at UC Berkeley for Bernard Taper, who died last December. Thanks to Quiggin for sending in the link!

In 1963, he expanded a series of his profiles of choreographer George Balanchine into a best-selling biography, considered the definitive account of the great Russian man of dance.