California

2017-18 season

Posted (edited)

Finding partners for Yu isn't easy. Last year, following the mid-season departure of Maddox, she didn't dance in Swan Lake, although she was not injured. When I tell people that I saw Yu dance Giselle with Côté, I'm met with incredulous looks, including from more recent members of the company. Admittedly, the partnering in Nureyev's Sleeping Beauty is not as arduous as the partnering in Wright's Giselle or Kudelka's Swan Lake, but we should consider the possibility that Ebe did not feel up to the task of partnering Yu, or perhaps that he didn't want to do it, and that a couple of shows opposite Lobsanova and a couple of Bluebirds with Vanstone suit him just fine.

The problem of too few tall leading men is very real since Kain's intent appears to be to advance Fischer, Hawes and MacDonald, who require tall partners, and Saye is very tall, but he cannot dance with them all. As a result Gerty has been fast tracked and now so has Jiang. I'm sorry to say that Gerty was not up to the task in Swan Lake, and I have no reason to doubt you when you write that Jiang isn't ready for his primetime moment either.

Edited by volcanohunter

The rankings aren't really considered in this company. Corps doing Principal roles, Principals doing Bluebird, and some Principals doing nothing at all. 

Siphe November does not appear to fit the aesthetic Karen has mandated for her tenure ie. long and thin. He does not appear to have a traditionally classical line or body at all. At least in the photos online. However the company may be changing in this regard. His jump sounds exciting.

volcanohunter and kbarber you have each referenced Evan McKie as "unavailable". Do you have a source for this? Can anyone verify the reason for his absence? Hopefully if he is injured he will heal quickly.

It's not at all unusual for principal dancers to perform the Bluebird pas de deux. I have not yet been to see the National Ballet's current run. The last performance of Sleeping Beauty I saw took place at the Bolshoi, and at that performance Florine and the Bluebird were danced by principals (and Aurora by a member of the corps, and it was plenty obvious which was which, even if artistic directors don't like to admit it).

I'm so excited to hear about Siphe November. He just graduated from the National Ballet School last June where he was the "star" for a long time. He is relatively short but an amazing dancer and his jumps are incredible. It doesn't surprise me that he's already getting solo roles. I think he's one to watch. You might want to watch this video. His life story is quite incredible, too.

They made a last minute casting change and Elena Lobsanova debuted on the 10th with Naoya Ebe. I believe she was replacing Svetlana Lunkina who has been moved to the 15th. 

Lunkina was originally scheduled to perform on the 9th and 15th. When she was unable to do the first performance, Dronina was moved from the matinee on the 10th to the 9th, and Lobsanova's debut was moved up from the 13th to the afternoon of the 10th. So instead of partnering two different Auroras--first Dronina, then Lobsanova--Ebe was rescheduled to do both performances with Lobsanova.

Has anyone seen anything official on McKie? First he's out of Sleeping Beauty and now Nijinski...

He was withdrawn from a run of performances in late January and hasn't appeared on stage since. 

Posted (edited)

If a dancer has not yet decided to give a public explanation, I am not going to do it either.

Edited by volcanohunter

Evan McKie is now scheduled to perform Nijinksy in San Fran as per the National Ballet site and his Instagram.

On April 5, 2018 at 5:46 AM, McJagger said:

Evan McKie is now scheduled to perform Nijinksy in San Fran as per the National Ballet site and his Instagram.

And he was superb. 

Thanks for these -- they were a part of my early dance education.