Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
California

Colorado Ballet 2017-18 season

Recommended Posts

Colorado Ballet just announced their 2017-18 season. The press release is here: http://coloradoballet.org/about-news/colorado-ballet-announces-2017-2018-season?platform=hootsuite

 

The most interesting thing for serious balletomanes is Tudor's Pillars of Fire next March, funded by a grant from NEA. In the past, Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner have staged Tudor ballets for this company, so I hope they do again. As the press release notes, the only other American company to perform this work is ABT.

I saw their Romeo and Juliet when they did it about six years ago and it's a lovely production, with the Prokofiev score.

I haven't seen Dracula, but they did several performances over Halloween weekend a few years ago and I understand it was a big hit, sold out. If Royal Ballet and San Francisco Ballet can do Frankenstein, I guess Dracula isn't so far-removed.

Dracula
October 6 - 15, 2017*
Ellie Caulkins Opera House
Colorado Ballet opens the season with crowd-favorite Dracula with choreography by Michael Pink and music by Philip Feeney, performed live by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra. Count Dracula, the King of the Undead torments the living in Transylvania and London during his quest to steal his beloved Mina from her husband Jonathan Harker. Based on Bram Stoker’s Gothic horror, Dracula features seductive vampires, frightening mental patients and the king of the undead himself, Count Dracula.

 

Performance Dates
Friday, October 6, 20177:30pm
Saturday, October 7, 20172pm
Saturday, October 7, 20177:30pm
Sunday, October 8, 20172pm
Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 7:30pm
Friday, October 13, 20177:30pm
Saturday, October 14, 20177:30pm
Sunday, October 15, 20172pm

Viacheslav%20Buchkovskiy%20and%20Domenico%20Luciano%20in.jpg

Domenico Luciano and Viacheslav Buchkovskiy by Mike Watson


The Nutcracker
November 25 - December 24, 2017*
Ellie Caulkins Opera House

The 57th annual production of The Nutcracker features timeless choreography paired with Tchaikovsky’s extraordinary arrangement performed live by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra. In addition to being the largest production of The Nutcracker in the state, Colorado Ballet’s 2016 production was named the best-loved Nutcracker in the U.S. in the 10th Annual Goldstar National Nutcracker Award contest. 
33.jpg

                                                                   Morgan Buchanan by Mike Watson

Performance Dates

Saturday, Nov. 25, 20171pm
Saturday, Nov. 25, 20176:30pm
Sunday, Dec. 26, 20171pm
Saturday, Dec. 2, 20171pm
Sunday, Dec. 3, 20171pm
Sunday, Dec. 3, 20176:30pm
Thursday, Dec. 7, 20177:30pm
Friday, Dec. 8, 20177:30pm
Saturday, Dec. 9, 20171pm

Saturday, Dec. 9, 20176:30pm
Sunday, Dec. 10, 20171pm
Sunday, Dec. 10, 20176:30pm
Thursday, Dec. 14, 20177:30pm
Friday, Dec. 15, 20177:30pm
Saturday, Dec. 16, 20171pm
Saturday, Dec. 16, 20176:30pm
Sunday, Dec. 17, 20171pm

Sunday, Dec. 17, 20176:30pm
Tuesday, Dec. 19, 20176:30pm
Wednesday, Dec. 20, 20176:30pm
Thursday, Dec. 21, 20176:30pm
Friday, Dec. 22, 20171pm
Friday, Dec. 22, 20176:30pm
Saturday, Dec. 23, 20171pm
Saturday, Dec. 23, 20176:30pm

Sunday, Dec. 24, 20171pm

 

Romeo and Juliet
February 16 - 25, 2018*
Ellie Caulkins Opera House

In the spring, Colorado Ballet will present the Shakespearean love story Romeo and Juliet. Star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet fall in love despite their families’ longstanding feud in Shakespeare’s most famous romantic tragedy.The ballet features choreography by Derek Deane and music by Sergei Prokofiev, performed by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra. Prokofiev’s music serves as a melodic substitute for Shakespeare's poetry and Jones' staging of the ballet focuses on the characters’ relationships. 

Performance Dates
Friday, Feb. 16, 20187:30pm
Saturday, Feb. 17, 20182pm
Saturday, Feb. 17, 20187:30pm

Sunday, Feb. 18, 20182pm
Friday, Feb. 23, 20187:30pm
Saturday, Feb. 24, 20182pm
Saturday, Feb. 24, 20187:30pm
Sunday, Feb. 25, 20182pm

22.jpg

    Sharon Wehner     

 
Ballet Director's Choice
March 30 - April 1, 2018*
June Swaner Concert Hall at the Newman Center for the Performing Arts

 Colorado Ballet will close out its season with a collection of ballets. Ballet Director’s Choice includes Pillar of Fire by choreographer Antony Tudor and music by Arnold Schoenberg, a Brief Fling by choreographer Twyla Tharp with music by Michel Colombier and Percy Grainger, and a third work to be announced.

   

Performance Dates
Friday, Mar. 30, 20187:30pm
Saturday, Mar. 31, 2018  – 2pm
Saturday, Mar. 31, 20187:30pm
Sunday, Apr. 1, 20182pm

Artists%20of%20Colorado%20Ballet%20in%20Feast%20of%20the%20God.jpg

                                    Artists of Colorado Ballet by Sue Daniels Photography

 

Share this post


Link to post

We've seen Brief Fling here in Seattle -- looks like it's getting a boost.

Share this post


Link to post

The March performances of the Tharp and Tudor are at University of Denver's Newman Center - Gates Hall, seating 977. It's a lovely theater, but no orchestra pit! So they use recorded music and sometimes a small ensemble on the stage. http://www.du.edu/ahss/lamont/newman-center.html

 

(All other performances are at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, with a full orchestra. http://www.artscomplex.com/venues/elliecaulkinsoperahouse/tabid/74/default.aspx)

Share this post


Link to post

I believe that their 2011 production of Romeo and Juliet used choreography by Alun Jones. Is he the Jones referred to in "Jones' staging"?

Edited by YouOverThere

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, YouOverThere said:

I believe that their 2011 production of Romeo and Juliet used choreography by Alun Jones. Is he the Jones referred to in "Jones' staging"?

No, this choreography is by Derek Deane: http://www.broadwayworld.com/denver/article/Colorado-Ballet-Announces-2017-18-Season-20170206

 

This version was produced by ENB: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/10895112/Romeo-and-Juliet-Royal-Albert-Hall-review-terrific-evening.html

Yosvani Ramos, a new principal at Colorado, apparently performed Romeo with ENB, judging from his Instagram.

ENB's was in the round. Colorado's version was at the Opera House. What I remember (and it's been quite a few years) was a very effective minimalist set that worked just fine for me. Perhaps Jones made the transition to a traditional stage.

 

Here's Yosvani's Instagram - he did this with ENB in 2005:

 

Edited by California

Share this post


Link to post

An announcement was made in the company's e-newsletter, so it's now public: Alexei Tyukov is also retiring at the end of this season. He was Maria Mosina's regular partner. Devastating to lose both of them. I've posted several video clips of them, especially their spectacular torchlift, which I doubt I will ever see again in the theater.

Share this post


Link to post

The CB broadcast on Facebook that Asuka Sasaki has been promoted to Principal Dancer. Their website also has the photos of Tracy Jones and Christopher Moulton in the Soloists area, which presumably means that both of them have been promoted. Conspicuously missing are photos of Soloist Shelby Dyer and long-time member of the Corps Luis Valdes (who are married).

Edited by YouOverThere

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

The CB broadcast on Facebook that Asuka Sasaki has been promoted to Principal Dancer. Their website also has the photos of Tracy Jones and Christopher Moulton in the Soloists area, which presumably means that both of them have been promoted. Conspicuously missing are photos of Soloist Shelby Dyer and long-time member of the Corps Luis Valdes (who are married).

Yes - it was announced in the program at University of Denver that Dyer and Valdés have retired. Already announced retirements : Maria Mosina and Alexei Tyukov, my two favorite Russians.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

The CB broadcast on Facebook that Asuka Sasaki has been promoted to Principal Dancer. Their website also has the photos of Tracy Jones and Christopher Moulton in the Soloists area, which presumably means that both of them have been promoted. Conspicuously missing are photos of Soloist Shelby Dyer and long-time member of the Corps Luis Valdes (who are married).

 

The CB put out an announcement about Tracy Jones' promotion.

 

I believe that there are only 4 dancers left from the Martin Fredmann era (only 3 of whom performed before he was fired).

Edited by YouOverThere

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

 

The CB put out an announcement about Tracy Jones' promotion.

 

I believe that there are only 4 dancers left from the Martin Fredmann era (only 3 of whom performed before he was fired).

I never saw the company in the Fredmann era. Gil Boggs has been artistic director since 2006 and I have been impressed with his programming choices -- some programs that appeal to newbies in Denver and others that are much-loved by serious balletomanes. He also guided the company through the national fiscal crisis of 2008 and oversaw the move to a spectacular new building in the Santa Fe arts district. I also appreciate some of his hiring decisions (e.g., Yosvani Ramos and Alexei Tyukov as principals, and Francisco Estevez and Tracy Jones as corps members-now soloists). Unlike directors at certain (unnamed) companies, he has never exhibited any interest in choreographing new work for the sake of choreographing. Eleven years is a long time in the life of any company. I'm not sure which dancers pre-date him (although I suppose I could figure that out from the company bios), but the company is in very good shape for a smaller, but professional company. (Considerable credit also goes to a very loyal, committed, and generous board.) http://www.coloradoballet.org/company-dancers/gil-boggs

Share this post


Link to post

Looking back over this thread I reread the comments on Romeo and Juliet, which reminded me that Pittsburgh is also changing up their R&J for the Derek Deane version next year.  Any information on this, or is it just a coincidence?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sandik said:

Looking back over this thread I reread the comments on Romeo and Juliet, which reminded me that Pittsburgh is also changing up their R&J for the Derek Deane version next year.  Any information on this, or is it just a coincidence?

Ramos did the Deane version when he was with ENB years ago, but that might be a coincidence.

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't know about that connection -- apparently Ted Kivit at Pittsburgh is close to Deane.

 

I'm interested in how these changes happen.  A few years ago it seemed that several ensembles were staging the Maillot version, and now there's this...

Share this post


Link to post

I had understood that the ENB version was in the round at the London Coliseum,  so I'm interested in how it's adapted. I hope Yosvani can give us some insights into that.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, California said:

I never saw the company in the Fredmann era. Gil Boggs has been artistic director since 2006 and I have been impressed with his programming choices -- some programs that appeal to newbies in Denver and others that are much-loved by serious balletomanes. He also guided the company through the national fiscal crisis of 2008 and oversaw the move to a spectacular new building in the Santa Fe arts district. I also appreciate some of his hiring decisions (e.g., Yosvani Ramos and Alexei Tyukov as principals, and Francisco Estevez and Tracy Jones as corps members-now soloists). Unlike directors at certain (unnamed) companies, he has never exhibited any interest in choreographing new work for the sake of choreographing. Eleven years is a long time in the life of any company. I'm not sure which dancers pre-date him (although I suppose I could figure that out from the company bios), but the company is in very good shape for a smaller, but professional company. (Considerable credit also goes to a very loyal, committed, and generous board.) http://www.coloradoballet.org/company-dancers/gil-boggs

 

There wasn't a tremendous change in direction when Boggs replaced Fredmann. The scheduling has been pretty similar, and the style hasn't changed radically. Certainly nothing like the changes at the Washington Ballet. Fredmann had connections in Russia and Japan, which helped him with recruiting (half of the current principals were hired by Fredmann). The big improvement that Boggs has made has been to adjust the artistic goals to fit with the financial realities.

 

Edited by YouOverThere

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/2/2017 at 10:53 PM, YouOverThere said:

 

The CB put out an announcement about Tracy Jones' promotion.

 

And, yesterday, an announcement about Christopher Moulton's promotion.

Share this post


Link to post

The final roster has been announced for 2017-18: http://www.coloradoballet.org/company/dancers

 

30 dancers on contract (including 3 apprentices).

 

Promotions:

Sasaki from soloist to principal

Jones and Moulton from corps to soloist

Dessens and Padgett from apprentice to corps

 

New to corps: Ciccarelli, Fazekas, Oliveira, Pelletier, Studinski

New to apprentices: Martoccio

 

With only two men as principals (Luciano and Ramos), I have a hunch Estevez, Moulton, and Thomas will be getting a lot of principal roles. And I have high hopes for Jones, who really upped her game in the last season.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, California said:

The final roster has been announced for 2017-18: http://www.coloradoballet.org/company/dancers

 

For the first time in over 25 years there are no dancers from the former USSR in the company.

 

I was hoping that they could round up a male principal or soloist from somewhere. They're even thinner than it appears, as Ramos is trying to come back from a torn Achilles' tendon.

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, YouOverThere said:

 

For the first time in over 25 years there are no dancers from the former USSR in the company.

 

I was hoping that they could round up a male principal or soloist from somewhere. They're even thinner than it appears, as Ramos is trying to come back from a torn Achilles' tendon.

Ramos has been posting lots of Instagram of himself in company class and rehearsing R&J for February, a role he loves. Estevez has also really upped his game in the last year and I expect him to do well in principal roles.

 

The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 - 26 years ago. I wonder how many Russians are left in regional companies. But plenty of Cubans, it seems, which is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/23/2017 at 8:06 PM, California said:

But plenty of Cubans, it seems, which is fine.

 

A bit off topic, OK, WAY off topic, but Julie Kent has suggested that Cubans do so well in dance because they spend a lot of time training in meters other than 4/4, which apparently Americans don't.

Edited by YouOverThere

Share this post


Link to post

Very nice story in Dance Magazine notes that both Colorado Ballet and Boston Ballet are meeting financial goals:

 

http://www.dancemagazine.com/yes-it-is-possible-to-build-new-ballet-audiences-in-2017-2476154769.html?utm_campaign=RebelMouse&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=Dance+Magazine

 

I wish ABT would consider some of their practices. At Colorado Ballet, subscribers get 25% off all subscription tickets AND all additional tickets for the rest of the season. They also use "dynamic pricing," as you see discussed in the article. I don't see many empty seats, even though they are in a large Opera House, seating 2225. https://www.denvercenter.org/plan-your-visit/theatres-seating/the-ellie-caulkins-opera-house

 

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×