This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Parade of premieres continues in SF Ballet’s 84th season

This article by Allan Ulrich is worth a read - it sums up SFB's repertoire over the last 32 years under Tomasson:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/entertainment/article/Parade-of-premieres-continues-in-SF-Ballet-s-10848459.php

"...But for a dose of dazzling reality, one should consult the company’s hastily assembled performance annals. There they are — 153 commissions stretching from 1985 through this coming 84th season.

True, a substantial number of those dances were created by Tomasson himself. But most represent a cross-section of American and international choreographers that no other stateside ballet company can rival."

As Ulrich says, the numbers alone are really impressive.  When Pacific Northwest Ballet was getting ready to find a new director, I remember adding up the statistics for Francia Russell and Kent Stowell, and being impressed all over again, despite the fact that I'd been here for almost all of the work. 

57 minutes ago, sandik said:

As Ulrich says, the numbers alone are really impressive.  When Pacific Northwest Ballet was getting ready to find a new director, I remember adding up the statistics for Francia Russell and Kent Stowell, and being impressed all over again, despite the fact that I'd been here for almost all of the work. 

It's easy to take it all for granted - what these companies have to go through for just a single year's program and tour. They move mountains to earn a buck.  ;)

And there's always room for improvements (as Ulrich talks about), but the 'improvements' do depend upon your values. Every A.D. emphasizes different things.