This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Natasha Sheehan

It's that time of the year when SFB and other ballet companies are trying to raise money for, among other things, their schools. New Corps dancer Natasha Sheehan talks about her experiences with the SFB school and as a trainee. Natasha is the latest female winner of the Erik Bruhn prize. When one considers that pretty much all winners eventually become principal dancers, she is one to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7WLr070ynY

Edited by pherank

She is so very much Someone to Watch. Saw her yesterday in Nutcracker's Spanish Dance, and it's pretty astonishing to see such a mature stage presence in a first year corps dancer (who skipped the apprentice year). Seems as though they've had big plans for her for a few years now; didn't she had a notable role in last year's gala? And on World Ballet Day coverage in San Francisco, there was almost a hush in Helgi's voice on when he mentioned her while pointing out some of the dancers in the room behind him. (Anyone else notice that?) 

I always feel a twinge of sadness, strangely, when a few of the new dancers are highly favored and the previous year's new-and-highly-favored dancers are dropped from the limelight. I was thrilled watching Norika Matsuyama last year and was hoping to see her in a good role in Nutcracker. ((Whoops, I see she was cast as Sugar Plum Fairy originally. But did she get dropped from that casting? It doesn't appear on the online casting sheet.)) But then again, she might have danced Spanish or French and you don't see those roles on the casting lists, and I only went to two Nut performances. I wish they'd supply casting names for those roles online, as well. I just love seeing how Helgi tests out certain dancers in certain roles. Always exciting to see one take the opportunity and run with it. I sense we'll see Sheehan being given some enviable chances this season.

Edited by Terez
On 12/28/2016 at 7:09 AM, Terez said:

I wish they'd supply casting names for those roles online, as well.

Agreed - the Nutcracker divertissement roles, and Drosselmeyer's dolls from Act 1, are performed by veterans who at least look to be promising soloists (if they are not soloists already). It would be good to give proper credit to these people in the listings.

Tomasson is juggling quite a few 'promising' dancers, but that's not a bad problem to have for an A.D. Other regional companies have to fight to keep their best dancers. The SFB audience has been quite lucky in that their dancers generally remain loyal. But I can understand a dancer leaving if they are offered a big opportunity that SFB can't counter - those opportunities are so fleeting.

On 1/1/2017 at 11:43 PM, pherank said:

Tomasson is juggling quite a few 'promising' dancers, but that's not a bad problem to have for an A.D. Other regional companies have to fight to keep their best dancers. The SFB audience has been quite lucky in that their dancers generally remain loyal. But I can understand a dancer leaving if they are offered a big opportunity that SFB can't counter - those opportunities are so fleeting.

Yes, such riches the SFB has in their roster! Although I'm sorry, in retrospect, that they couldn't keep Simone Messmer there; I see she's landed as principal at MCB. Well deserved; the SFB's loss, but I imagine it was a matter of juggling at the time, and to keep Froustey as principal is a precious thing for both the SFB and audiences. '

Always enjoy your comments and perspective, pherank!

I couldn't resist... Congratulations to Natasha on her graduation.

How lucky you are to:

1) already know what you want to do after high school

2) already have the contract to begin DOING what you want to do after high school

19050840_1449104375111626_11943843457883

Looks like Natasha Sheehan is enrolling in the LEAP program - best of luck to her:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZSEA23liXB/?taken-by=tippytoegirl

Since the adults in her family tend to be academic over-achievers, I think she must feel some pressure to keep up. At least with the LEAP program at St. Mary's College, she will be able to fit her academic work into her professional dance schedule, and take her time doing it.

Sheehan has mentioned a number of times online that she wants to study nutrition, and plainly she is very interested in cooking and meal planning. She has an eye for food styling as well. Personally, I think some of her recipes look pretty enticing.  ;)

Anyway, I assume she would prefer that to be her area of concentration in college, but I'm not sure if that's actually possible at St. Mary's.

"Sheehan plans to become a nutritionist once she finishes dancing. She steers clear of processed foods and snacks on fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, probiotic yogurt, hummus and avocados. Each morning, she sips kombucha and a cup of green tea with lemon."

From Pointe Magazine:

Brighten Up Your Culinary Routine with These Original Recipes from San Francisco Ballet's Natasha Sheehan
http://www.pointemagazine.com/natasha-sheehan-recipes-2503922457.html

'As for her love of photography, Sheehan says that "kind of came out of nowhere. I've always been a perfectionist, even before I started ballet, and like to treat each meal as a celebration to truly enjoy by making it look aesthetically appealing." '

A couple of things I've happened upon:

Natasha did an online interview with Jess Spinner (The Whole Dancer) that is almost an hour(!) in length (note that there are audio issues that come and go) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiET7ATZDQA

Somehow I expected Natasha to seem more 'girly' and playful, I suppose, but she's a very calm, measured, and 'unruffled' speaker.

Also, the Sheehan family appeared in the Wall Street Journal -

How to Work Together on a Family Project
Getting children and parents to team up seems impossible but worthwhile; Here are some strategies to foster teamwork

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-work-together-on-a-family-project-1468347199

Edited by pherank

Just an observation about Jess Spinner (interviewer) in the Whole Dancer Podcast above. Although she markets  "Best Dancer Body Plans," she is not a nutritionist or a registered dietician. She is a Health Coach who studied at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Her site states: "Health coaching is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition. It is not intended to substitute for the advice, treatment and/or diagnosis of a qualified licensed professional."

I think that this is important to understand her expertise in relationship to the questions, and responses that she has with Sheehan. She appears to be legitimizing food and dietary choices and recipes and she really does not have the credentials to do so.  She is no more or less expert than Sheehan herself. 

Edited by balletforme
17 hours ago, balletforme said:

Just an observation about Jess Spinner (interviewer) in the Whole Dancer Podcast above. Although she markets  "Best Dancer Body Plans," she is not a nutritionist or a registered dietician. She is a Health Coach who studied at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Her site states: "Health coaching is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition. It is not intended to substitute for the advice, treatment and/or diagnosis of a qualified licensed professional."

I think that this is important to understand her expertise in relationship to the questions, and responses that she has with Sheehan. She appears to be legitimizing food and dietary choices and recipes and she really does not have the credentials to do so.  She is no more or less expert than Sheehan herself. 

Thanks to the Internet 'blogosphere', we are living in the age of the self-made expert.  😉
I'm just not sure it's any worse than government, big business and the media presenting us with their chosen 'experts'. Most of the public will not question the opinions of establishment experts - but it's usually worth looking into the details.

I hear you pherank. .  . but I think there's a bit more vetting with gov't at least. . .. ?   Maybe that's an assumption in the current climate.  

I do think it's wonderful that Natasha is setting sights on learning the science of food, metabolism, nutrition, etc.  She is an impressive young woman!