I am fascinated by the term "epaulment" and have made note of several definitions but I am wondering if it could also be construed to mean the overall expressiveness of the upper body? I am finding, for example, that some ballerinas have the most exquisite arms that seem like musical instruments. But perhaps such a characteristic would not be included in the proper definition of epaulment ? Also, could someone suggest a ballerina who could be noted for exhibiting exceptional epaulment ?

Thank you. Alton 

Drew   

The term interests me too. I think it plays a role in what you call "the overall expressiveness of the upper body" but the term's more specific, technical emphasis on a way of using shoulders/upper back to transform the interplay of different parts of the body (eg upper torso to lower torso) helps to describe or analyze particular aspects of that expressiveness.

As a fan, not a teacher or dance professional, I always thought Larissa Lezhnina had exquisite epaulement--certainly in her Kirov/Mariinsky days which is when I saw her. The way she dances wouldn't suit all choreography of course. (I've posted this video before .... and probably will again):

Lidewij   

I attended several of her performances at Het Nationale Ballet, including her farewell performance, and I can say her épaulement was still as exquisite as it was in her Kirov days. :wub:

What a treasure to me that I would receive such thoughtful and informative replies. So wonderful that you would respond to my question in this manner. I will study the attached video very carefully.