This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Russian Ballet News & Reviews

Wonder if any members are following British ballet critic Ismene Brown's blog on Russian affairs. I am posting below her two latest posts. I suggest members look up Ismene's CV under "About" !

http://ismeneb.com/blogs-list/160819-vaziev-full-steam-ahead-after-london-tour.html

I saw two casts of Swan Lake and two casts of Corsaire on this tour. I was at long last able to see my "Zvezda" Svetlana Zakarova as Odette/Odile. I identified Anna Tixomirova as destined for stardom (her dancing and characterisation as Gulnare was mind blowing !) and texted my ballet friends immed after performance. So you can perhaps imagine this Ballet 101 student's elation when none other than Vaziev voiced the same opinion (see article) - I jumped up and down with joy !!

http://ismeneb.com/blogs-list/161012-bolshois-uvarov-succeeds-zelensky-at-stasik.html

I have yet to see something at Stasik, hopefully this season. I seem to remember Zelensky from the Nineties when we used to see opera and ballet at the ROH , am I wrong ? Anyway he came to my atttention when he took over the Munich Staatsballett from Ivan Liska this summer and abruptly Lacarra, Dinu and some others left Munich. I queried my ballet advisor Vita in Moscow and she replied "Well when Zelensky came to Stasik two dozen dancers immediately left" !  Zelensky was a star dancer but it is said he has a brash and "not very polite" management style - in fact I have been told today by another contact that shouting at and scolding dancers is established coaching style in Russia !  Any comments anyone ??

A footnote : saw Lacarra live first time at the Malakhov & Friends Gala in Berlin beginning of September, on two consecutive nights. My my ...... to my layman's eye this is per-fec-tion !  What grace, what beauty of movement, the "celestial" PdB !!  Lucia and Marlon

I regret having to say upstaged Vishnova (my other Zvezda) and Malakhov and stole the show ... on both nights !

Edited by mnacenani

Two incredible galas coming up at the Balshoy next weekend October 22-23 : "Gala-Concert of Balshoy Ballet Artists". Almost all of the Balshoy primas and first soloists are on PLUS Osipova and Vasiliev !! Am patting myself on the back because I suspected it could be what it turned out to be and got tix for both nights from internet advance sale. Tix were available some days ago but I suspect it has or will be sold out. Regrettably Balshoy has not bothered to post the program in English on their website but the Russki version is on the links below. Any Russki speaking members please make a resumé for the benefit of the rest.

22 OKT : http://bolshoi.ru/performances/1014/

23 OKT : http://bolshoi.ru/performances/1114/

Very exciting. Hope you will post about the gala. When the Bolshoi visited New York two summers ago Tikhomirova was a huge fan favorite. (At least people posting on this site and on Twitter loved her dancing.)

I saw Lacarra at a gala in New York some years ago; I thought she was one of most exquisite ballerinas I had ever seen. She even reminded me a bit of my all time favorite--Kirkland. I wish I could have seen much more of her.

Usually on this site, to find fan responses/reviews of Russian Ballet performances (Bolshoi, Mariinsky, MIkhailovsky, Stanislavsky) you should look/click under the company forums listed on the website when you first go to the home page. It's way lower down on the page--just scroll down. You will see a category "Companies and Performances" and below that, for example, "European Ballet Companies" and, then subheadings for each of these companies and other companies as well. (If you can't find the company name just click on "European Ballet Companies" and check out what is listed.) People typically post reviews of the Bolshoi under the Bolshoi heading; reviews of the Stanislavsky under Stanislavsky etc. Other fans who are interested in those companies may even get notifications if something is posted there that they may not get if it's posted here under "Ballet news and Issues."

Edited by Drew

Thanks very much for the posting tip Drew - I still have to find my way around on this forum and any tips and suggestions from seasoned members is most welcome. Will just post here the program for the a.m. galas I managed to translate at snail's pace (am on Russian beginner's course)

22 OCTOBER SATURDAY

Talisman pdd : Hahlova-Lapatin

Spring Water (Messerer) : Tixomirova-Ovcharenko

Flammes de Paris pdd : Kosyreva-Tsvirko

Sylphide pdd : Osipova-Belyakov

Raymonda Grand Pas : Krysanova-Gudanov (vari. Shreiner)

Spectre de la Rose :  Vinogradova-Gudanov

Valse (Moshkovskiy) : Ryzhkina-Savin

Fille Mal Gardee adagio : Osipova-Lapatin

Esmeralda-Diana&Acteon pdd : Krysanova-Tsvirko

La Mort de Cygne : Nikulina

Grand Pas Classique (Auber) : Smirnova-Chudin

23 OCTOBER SUNDAY

Spring Water (Messerer) : Tixomirova-Ovcharenko

Flammes de Paris pdd : Kosyreva-Vasiliev

Corsaire pdd : Stepanova-Rodkin

Sylphide pdd : Osipova-Belyakov

Esmeralda-Diana&Acteon pdd : Krysanova-Tsvirko