This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Chicago 2016 Spring Repertory Harris Theater May 14 m & e

Here's a link to BC's page with notes on the ballets and links to order tickets:

http://balletchicago.org/springrepertory.asp

(I expect the repertory will follow the order in my sub-title rather than in the order on the page linked to.)*

Ballet Chicago is a Balanchine-oriented school directed by Daniel Duell, who danced in the NYCB while Balanchine directed it, and his "partner in life", Patricia Blair, who danced in the Eglevsky Ballet while Edward Villella directed it. Ted Seymour dances with the Suzanne Farrell Ballet in Washington, DC, and elsewhere and teaches and choreographs for the B. C. Studio Company.

I gather that Ballet Chicago is the only "pre-professional" group to perform in the Harris Theater in Chicago; personally, in terms of performance quality, I think it blurs the line between "pre-professional" and "professional."

Tickets are $25-$50. While music will be recorded (at these prices), at these shows it always sounds particularly eloquent to this music-lover; indeed, I believe Mr. Duell is a musician himself.

*My bad. For the record, the program followed the order on the page linked to.

Edited by Jack Reed

BC has put up some very short rehearsal clips of the repertory on Vimeo:

(if you click the underlined links rather than the small images, you not only get a larger image to watch, but you can find five more clips of these rehearsals in the right column on the Vimeo page.)

Here's "Square Dance":

Ted Seymour's "Celestial Rites":

Seymour's "Secrets de Printemps":

and "Stars and Stripes" pas de deux (in performance costumes):

Edited by Jack Reed