This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Spring 2016 Spring Season

Nycb has announced via Twitter that tomorrow's performance of After the Rain will be Craig Hall's farewell to the company.

Oh I will miss him! I didn't think anyone could replace Jock Soto in "After the Rain" until I saw Craig Hall take on the role. (Talk about a tough act to follow!) I thought he was a perfect foil for Wendy Whelan both in that ballet and everything else they danced together. I don't make much of an effort to catch final performances, but if I weren't out of town, I'd probably try to rustle up a ticket to this one.

Per another NYCB tweet, Hall will tour with the company this summer and then serve as one of its ballet masters. I wish him every success in his new role.

Oh I will miss him! I didn't think anyone could replace Jock Soto in "After the Rain" until I saw Craig Hall take on the role. (Talk about a tough act to follow!) I thought he was a perfect foil for Wendy Whelan both in that ballet and everything else they danced together. I don't make much of an effort to catch final performances, but if I weren't out of town, I'd probably try to rustle up a ticket to this one.

Per another NYCB tweet, Hall will tour with the company this summer and then serve as one of its ballet masters. I wish him every success in his new role.

I will really miss Craig Hall. He always brings a quiet masculinity to everything he does that I much appreciate. I am so glad he will be continuing as a ballet master to pass on his knowledge.

I can't really gainsay what's been said about Wheeldon's American Rhapsody, but though Robert Fairchild may be out of (ballet-dancing) shape, he is still a charismatic and skilled performer while Peck is those things AND a brilliant ballerina--all qualities that are not for nothing even in a ballet that doesn't work. I even genuinely enjoyed their pas de deux and find they do have chemistry onstage. I also think that a complete redesign might improve the ballet a fair amount.

The Craig Hall/Tiler Peck After the Rain pas de deux Sunday was quite lovely and moving. A bonus for me as a fan was seeing Wendy Whelan down the side of the first ring, all but right over the stage--there (as I infer) to support and cheer for Hall.

Chiming in to agree with the Unity Phelan prediction. also the Pollack prediction, tho I'm not sure she's ready. She seems like one of those strong reliable dancers who's nice to watch but doesn't necessarily have that extra something that makes a really great, rather than very very good, dancer.

I always really like Hallelujah Junction. Quality piece of work I think. I'm glad to hear it's being danced well by Stanley and Ulbricht at any rate. I'd love to see Stanley in that.

If anyone has any recommendations or discussion about their casting preference for upcoming Midsummer performances, I would be grateful to hear it--I can probably only make one performance and I'm not sure who to see. Leaning away from Stafford in the divertissement, and maybe leaning towards Mearns' Titania? Is Miller worthwhile? Id be interested in seeing Lovette take a shot at the divertissement but I don't know if I want to risk my one ticket on her.

ETA: sorry, the predictions^^ were about promotions and they were in a different thread. forgot where I was reading.

Nycb has announced via Twitter that tomorrow's performance of After the Rain will be Craig Hall's farewell to the company.

Didn't expect this at all. In the AOL NYCB web-series last year he appeared to be enjoying himself as one of the "veterans" of the company and quite confident about continuing and meeting new challenges.

This may have been a circumstance where Craig Hall was offered the position of ballet master, but if he had refused it there would not have been another opening for him. This was a smart move in terms of long term job security and stability. He has not danced much, and he may have suffered many injuries over the years. It seemed clear that he was not on the track to make principal.

I though the second cast of DSCH was fantastic on Sat. afternoon, and I especially liked Sterling Hyltin in the lead role. I thought Krohn gave a pretty good performance in Serenade on Sunday, but I definitley prefer the more overtly dramatic (melodramatic?) approach of Mearns in Serenade. By the way, Mearns was perfection in Western yesterday, and she easily conquered the technical demands of the role. Catazaro was much better in the last movement as compared to a few years ago when he made his debut in the role.

Finlay was replaced yesterday in Western yesterday by T. Stanley. Hope Chase is not injured again.

I liked both Huxley and Lovette in Duo, but they have no connection to one another the way Hyltin and R. Fairchild do.

Hall and T. Peck were mesmerising in After the Rain pdd.

Craig Hall is a wonderful dancer and I'm sorry I missed the farewell. He's someone that I haven't seen much of in recent years, but every time I do, I wonder, why isn't this beautiful dancer used more? Perhaps it was injuries. I'm glad he will be staying on at NYCB and hopefully passing on the secrets of that very masculine, but so gentle, presence.

Craig Hall suffered a number of injuries over the years which he has talked about. It's good that he was able to transition to the second part of his career. Jonathan Stafford was able to make a similar transition when his career was also stalled because of non-stop injuries.

Faye Arthurs, a senior corps member, has announced on her blog Thoughts From the Paint that she is expecting.

Gina Pazcoguin is joining the Broadway revival of Cats, Robbie Fairchild will be leaving soon for American in Paris in London.

There's definitely room for movement into the principal, soloist, and corps groups (for apprentices who want to get that corps contract).

Craig Hall suffered a number of injuries over the years which he has talked about. It's good that he was able to transition to the second part of his career. Jonathan Stafford was able to make a similar transition when his career was also stalled because of non-stop injuries.

On City Ballet's AOL series, Hall talked about his many injuries. Here's a short Pointe magazine article that talks about that. I agree that it's good news that he's transitioning now and will stay a part of the NYCB family. I always enjoyed seeing him dance.

http://pointemagazine.com/news/craig-hall-talks-city-ballet/

Re JKR's post, for Midsummer I would go with any cast that has Tiler Peck and Tyler Angle doing the Act II divert. Thus, I would aim to go on Tuesday evening or Friday evening.

I too tend to make my Midsummer ticket-buying decisions based on who's dancing the Divertissement. That being said, every cast posted so far has at least three dancers worth seeing in their respective roles, if not more. While I might not race to the theater to see A. Stafford in the Divert, Troy Schumacher is absolutely my Puck of choice, Ashley Laracey is loveliness itself as Hermia, and I'd be interested to see if Miriam Miller and Anthony Huxley are ready to realize the promise both showed in their debuts as Titania and Oberon last year. (And I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Stafford: I've seen her dance Verdy's role in Emeralds with aplomb, which I certainly didn't expect but was mighty pleased to have seen.)

I'm a big fan of Teresa Reichlen's Titania, and am very much looking forward to seeing Sterling Hyltin and Amar Ramasar in the Divert -- not to mention Daniel Ulbricht's Oberon and Indiana Woodward's Butterfly. Andrew Veyette's Oberon is the best acted, which is to me more important over the course of a long first act than nailing every bit of pyrotechnic display in the Scherzo, but your mileage may vary.

Really, there are riches in every cast.

I saw Tuesday's performance. The best thing about the performance was the Act II divert. w. Peck and Angle. They were sublime. This second act pdd has rarely been performed this well. However, Veyette was probably the worst Oberon I've seen in terms of the quality of the dancing. He was very sloppy and unimpressive. Carmena was lethargic most of the time as Puck, and his jumps lacked height. He was a very earthbound Puck, literally and figuratively. Mearns danced beautifully as Titania, but she seemed uncomfortable with the partnering of her Cavalier, Catazaro. She was much better in her dance with Bottom (Taylor Stanley). Lowery was an exciting and fearless Hippolyta.

I too tend to make my Midsummer ticket-buying decisions based on who's dancing the Divertissement. That being said, every cast posted so far has at least three dancers worth seeing in their respective roles, if not more. While I might not race to the theater to see A. Stafford in the Divert, Troy Schumacher is absolutely my Puck of choice, Ashley Laracey is loveliness itself as Hermia, and I'd be interested to see if Miriam Miller and Anthony Huxley are ready to realize the promise both showed in their debuts as Titania and Oberon last year. (And I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Stafford: I've seen her dance Verdy's role in Emeralds with aplomb, which I certainly didn't expect but was mighty pleased to have seen.)

I'm a big fan of Teresa Reichlen's Titania, and am very much looking forward to seeing Sterling Hyltin and Amar Ramasar in the Divert -- not to mention Daniel Ulbricht's Oberon and Indiana Woodward's Butterfly. Andrew Veyette's Oberon is the best acted, which is to me more important over the course of a long first act than nailing every bit of pyrotechnic display in the Scherzo, but your mileage may vary.

Really, there are riches in every cast.

Oh, I completely agree. If budget were not an issue, I'd be at every performance of this--like you, I go for the divertissement, but I'm interested in the various Titanias as well, and Puck, and etc. Honestly, to me NYCB is really one of 5 top companies world-wide, and since I'm primarily interested in Balanchine, it's to some extent the only ballet company I'm interested in watching. I enjoy every performance I go to even when I only see things to criticize--it's still interesting. (And because it's, at least, in the top 5, I judge more harshly than I would any other company. Really, nearly every one in the company is fine. They should be held to higher standards simply because, IMO, they're the best. The NY critics are extremely harsh, but that's the way it should be, I think. We're talking about distinctions between very, very good dancers and great dancers, but these are real distinctions and shouldn't be ignored.)

TLDR, I mainly stick to the student under 29 tickets so I'm a bit limited in my ticket selection, also I'm really picky about where I sit. Difficulties, difficulties. I'd love to see T. Peck, I wish they had more performances of Midsummer, this year. I seem to recall more last year but maybe I'm imagining things.

I caught two performances of MSND. In the 5/26 performance Anthony Huxley was amazing, but I think Miriam Miller needs to get stronger before she essays the role again -- she had difficulties holding the poses and shapes of the choreography. Harrison Ball made a wonderful debut as Puck. Abi Stafford in the pas de deux ... no comment.

Friday night's performance was much stronger. Mearns has the strength, technique and personality for the role, and Tiler Peck and Tyler Angle were sublime in the pas de deux.

More thoughts here, as well as thoughts about ABT's Fille with Copeland/Cornejo ...

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2016/05/spring-season-diaries-part-5-classic.html

I was there this afternoon for MSND and had a lovely time. I think Daniel Ulbricht is an outstanding Oberon. I saw him last year and loved him and this year loved him even more because his acting and characterization seemed freer. He sailed through the variations as if they were easy and my jaw dropped when he flew across the stage moving backwards on the diagonal.

I liked Teresa Reichlen's Titania's more than I had in the past. She had a warmth in her performance that I hadn't seen before. Her pas with cavalier, Russell Janzen, was lush, flowing and secure. He is an excellent partner.

Indiana Woodward was Butterfly. She seemed a bit unrefined in some lines and movement but danced with a wonderfully juicy muscularity and for the most part was technically secure. It would seem she has soloist in her future (IMO along with Unity Phelan, Miriam Miller and particularly Alexa Maxwell.)

The Divertissement pas - Hyltin/Ramasar. I loved it. First off this has to be one of the most beautiful pieces of ballet choreography ever. Hyltin is a dancer that has snuck up on me! I've only become a fan in the last couple of years. Seconds after she come on stage she did a supported pique arabesque, and the musical phrasing she created with the use of her head and arms captured me. I knew I was in good hands. Ramasar was an attentive, beautiful partner. He had one small mess up with a turn but was otherwise quite fine.

I liked LeCrone as Hippolyta. She doesn't really have the jump for the role but carried it off and nice looking fouettes!! I almost didn't recognize Chase Finlay (Lysander) with the costume and wig. It was nice to see Erica Pereira doing something other than Butterfly. She was fine and sweet looking as Hermia. I've never been a fan of Pereira's but this season I've enjoyed every performance I've seen her in. I'm looking forward to future performances. Lauren King (Helena) gave us suitable drama in the first act and her amazing glow and smile in the second. King is a dancer who can light up a stage.

All in all a wonderful performance. The place was packed. I know the couple sitting behind me had never been to the ballet before. In fact, at bows, when Reichlin brought the conductor out the man behind me said to his companion, "Wow that was nice of her." On way out I spoke to the couple for a moment. They loved the show. It's always good when first timers leave the ballet feeling happy.

I saw Tuesday's performance. The best thing about the performance was the Act II divert. w. Peck and Angle. They were sublime. This second act pdd has rarely been performed this well. However, Veyette was probably the worst Oberon I've seen in terms of the quality of the dancing. He was very sloppy and unimpressive. Carmena was lethargic most of the time as Puck, and his jumps lacked height. He was a very earthbound Puck, literally and figuratively. Mearns danced beautifully as Titania, but she seemed uncomfortable with the partnering of her Cavalier, Catazaro. She was much better in her dance with Bottom (Taylor Stanley). Lowery was an exciting and fearless Hippolyta.

Wow - I'm amazed to hear that about Veyette. I've seen him do this role so well. I hope it was just an off night.

Gina Pazcoguin on instagram is rather ambiguous but seems to be implying that her departure from NYCB is permanent:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF9WCRmJsup/?taken-by=georgina_pazcoguin

If you look at her posting from 3 days ago (with the photo of Bottom sitting on the toilet!) she replies to someone and says she's just going on leave. But I agree that her tone in other postings makes it sound as if she's leaving for good.

I was there this afternoon for MSND and had a lovely time. I think Daniel Ulbricht is an outstanding Oberon. I saw him last year and loved him and this year loved him even more because his acting and characterization seemed freer. He sailed through the variations as if they were easy and my jaw dropped when he flew across the stage moving backwards on the diagonal.

I liked Teresa Reichlen's Titania's more than I had in the past. She had a warmth in her performance that I hadn't seen before. Her pas with cavalier, Russell Janzen, was lush, flowing and secure. He is an excellent partner.

Indiana Woodward was Butterfly. She seemed a bit unrefined in some lines and movement but danced with a wonderfully juicy muscularity and for the most part was technically secure. It would seem she has soloist in her future (IMO along with Unity Phelan, Miriam Miller and particularly Alexa Maxwell.)

The Divertissement pas - Hyltin/Ramasar. I loved it. First off this has to be one of the most beautiful pieces of ballet choreography ever. Hyltin is a dancer that has snuck up on me! I've only become a fan in the last couple of years. Seconds after she come on stage she did a supported pique arabesque, and the musical phrasing she created with the use of her head and arms captured me. I knew I was in good hands. Ramasar was an attentive, beautiful partner. He had one small mess up with a turn but was otherwise quite fine.

I liked LeCrone as Hippolyta. She doesn't really have the jump for the role but carried it off and nice looking fouettes!! I almost didn't recognize Chase Finlay (Lysander) with the costume and wig. It was nice to see Erica Pereira doing something other than Butterfly. She was fine and sweet looking as Hermia. I've never been a fan of Pereira's but this season I've enjoyed every performance I've seen her in. I'm looking forward to future performances. Lauren King (Helena) gave us suitable drama in the first act and her amazing glow and smile in the second. King is a dancer who can light up a stage.

All in all a wonderful performance. The place was packed. I know the couple sitting behind me had never been to the ballet before. In fact, at bows, when Reichlin brought the conductor out the man behind me said to his companion, "Wow that was nice of her." On way out I spoke to the couple for a moment. They loved the show. It's always good when first timers leave the ballet feeling happy.

I was there too and agree with much of what you write, vipa.

Ulbricht was a fantastic Oberon. His jumps on the diagonal blew me away. Everything he did looked effortless; and no winding himself up before whipping off multiple pirouettes (a few fellas at ABT should take note of that). Reichlen is just gorgeous and Janzen was a strong and attentive partner.

I was so happy that Ramasar was doing the pas this afternoon. He and Hyltin were lovely together, although I kept comparing her to Merrill Ashley's phrasing and musicality in his piece. It is the most beautiful choreography and the accopanying score is so sweet and tender I find myself holding my breath. At the end when Hyltin has to fall forward out of her arabesque into Ramasar, it looked like she got stuck at the top, but it was still a breathtaking moment and several people around me "ahhhhd" with delight and she turned and fell backwards in Ramasar's arms. (I wanted an immediate replay!)

I had forgotten how charming and magical this ballet is as I haven't seen it in a long time. The children were adorable, and as usual extraordinarily rehearsed (though one little butterfly lost her way at one point but quickly got back into place). A wonderful afternoon.

I have been so impressed with Woodward this entire season -- from her Sylph in DC to Belles Lettres and even corps roles, her energy always stands out. Segin also has a lovely sweetness and seems to be used more and more (she also stood out in Serenade.)

A wonderful end to the season this afternoon. Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorite pieces whether ballet (Ashton etc) or play (cobweb = one of Titania's fairies, along with Moth, Peaseblossom, and Mustardseed). I saw four performances. Standouts were many. Anthony Huxley as Oberon. Wish I could see the scherzo again! Sara Mearns totally glorious. Tiler Peck and Tyler Angle sublime in the divertissement and today I also thought Lauren Lovette and Chase Finlay wonderful. I saw Harrison Ball do Puck twice and thought he was fantastic. Didn't look human but like some otherworldly creature. Alexa Maxwell made an exciting debut as Butterfly today. All the performances run together and I'm sure I'm leaving out other favorites. I love Devin Alberda in whatever small role he's doing. Missing Aaron Sanz and Ashly Isaacs, apparently both out injured. Oh and Savannah Lowery and Georgina Pazcoguin both did a wonderful Hippolyta with smashing fouettes both. Also totally love the children. I remember last year when they announced promotions the last performance of MSD. Waiting the same!