miliosr

2016-2017 Season

Valentine Colasante's backstage video of that celebrated kiss.

https://twitter.com/v_colasante/status/701177398251941889

I saw Pech on stage only a few times, in Artifact Suite, the adage in Suite en blanc and in L'Arlésienne, but I'm very glad I did. He was an interesting and very human presence. We'll always have the film of his wonderful Bluebird. All the best to him in his future endeavors. :flowers:

. Cranko's Onegin, MacMillan's Manon and Neumeier's La Dame aux camellias were some of the first things to get the boot from Millepied even though they're all popular in Paris.

How can it be said that Millepied gave these ballets "the boot"? They did Manon just last year. It would be quite normal for it to go out of the rep for a couple of years before coming back. Same for Onegin, which they did not long ago.

Well in fact, his last dance of his farewell evening was the third pas de deux of Preljocaj's Le Parc with long time friend Eleonora Abbagnato

I was wondering about that costume -- doesn't really look like the Dowell designs for the Robbins.

I was wondering about that costume -- doesn't really look like the Dowell designs for the Robbins.

Well they did In the Night earlier, but the last bit of the evening was from The Parc.

I saw Benjamin Pech's first Prodigal Son at the Palais Garnier, sitting in the front row strapontin (center seat that folds up to allow people to pass) and he was so wonderful and unforgettable.

Three more days untill the premiere of Iolanta/Casse-Noisette

Lock, Cherkaoui and Pita have been commisioned to create a new ballet, which will be performed alongside an opera in one evening....

Very curious to know what that looks like as a program -- Nut is programmed so specifically here I'm having trouble imagining this.

I find the strapontin seats fascinating...they seem like they would surely violate the firecodes here in the US. Are they less expensive than the regular seats? Where do the ushers keep the strapontin patrons until the last minute seating?

Lock, Cherkaoui and Pita have been commisioned to create a new ballet, which will be performed alongside an opera in one evening....

Quoting myself just to add that this bill will be livestreamed in cinemas in France on 17 march, and on 19 march there will be a rerun on Culturebox so you can watch it then for free but only if you live in France (but if you install a French proxy you can watch it even in china lol)

I find the strapontin seats fascinating...they seem like they would surely violate the firecodes here in the US. Are they less expensive than the regular seats? Where do the ushers keep the strapontin patrons until the last minute seating?

Absolutely, about the fire code.

The strapontin seats were less expensive than the other orchestra seats. If you had one, you had to stand during intermissions so other patrons could pass through.

The new issue of Dancing Times has a lot of content about Millepied's departure and the present state of French dance more generally. One thing that caught my eye was contained in a short news item about the 2016-17 season:

"The company acquires three works by George Balanchine: A Midsummer Night's Dream, with new designs by Christian Lacroix, . . ."

I don't think I've seen this reported anywhere else. I loved his designs for Jewels and Palais de Cristal!

How interesting. I remember when Pacific Northwest Ballet got permission to create new sets and costumes for Midsummer it was considered quite a coup.

The new issue of Dancing Times has a lot of content about Millepied's departure and the present state of French dance more generally. One thing that caught my eye was contained in a short news item about the 2016-17 season:

"The company acquires three works by George Balanchine: A Midsummer Night's Dream, with new designs by Christian Lacroix, . . ."

I don't think I've seen this reported anywhere else. I loved his designs for Jewels and Palais de Cristal!

It's on POB www since the announcement of the season https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-16-17/ballet/le-songe-dune-nuit-dete

Will it be replaced with something else? It seems strange simply to leave an empty spot, especially if subscribers have already bought tickets.

The Millepied/Parreno creation programmed in July 2017 has disappeared from POB website and withdrawn from annual subscription which may well mean it's not going to happen

Interesting. I was wondering if the announced schedule would hold in its entirety.

Edited to add: It's not too late to bring back Schlagobers!

Interesting. I was wondering if the announced schedule would hold in its entirety.

Edited to add: It's not to late to bring back Schlagobers!

The people demand Chartreuse!

The people demand Chartreuse!

Now that I think about it, it's a pity that Alwin Nikolais isn't still with us . . . Schlagobers sounds like it would have been right up his alley.

Laura Capelle tweeted this

https://twitter.com/bellafigural/status/712979145127542784

Just in: Millepied/Parreno creation planned for July 2017 @BalletOParis replaced by the company premiere of Keersmaeker's Drumming.

https://twitter.com/bellafigural/status/712980166969057280

Reason given for the cancellation: Millepied in L.A. from this summer, Parreno lives in Paris, too difficult time-wise. @BalletOParis
(administrators, Laura Capelle writes for Financial Times and Dance Magazine and could be considered as official source)

Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker has had a great run at the Opera over the past few seasons. Her works have featured in the last season (2014-15) programmed by Madame Lefevre, and now in both seasons programmed by Benjamin Millepied. I'm not sure, though, how adding Drumming to the 2016-17 lessens the perception (voiced by Millepied) that the Paris Opera Ballet is the world's best contemporary dance company and only a middling classical company.

The best (wiseguy) comment I read about the substitution was, "et ATDK est nommee directrice." Hahaha -- if we didn't already know the truth about Aurelie Dupont's appointment, that crack would have made for a great April Fool's Day prank!

If you're interested, Marc Moreau has a photo posted on his Instagram feed of him rehearsing Millepied's new piece for the 2016-17 season.