This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pennsylvania Ballet puts the ballet-haters in their place

Hmmmm....Wasn't Jagger's androgynous quality widely remarked on, then and now? Footage of the Mickster undulating and bopping around onstage suggests many potential adjectives, but I'm not sure that "manly" is one of them. Whereas nobody ever regarded Lennon as a pretty boy no matter what he was wearing. But then to many eyes at the time both groups looked disturbingly unlike the masculine status quo.....

Hmmmm....Wasn't Jagger's androgynous quality widely remarked on, then and now? Footage of the Mickster undulating and bopping around onstage suggests many potential adjectives, but I'm not sure that "manly" is one of them. Whereas nobody ever regarded Lennon as a pretty boy no matter what he was wearing. But then to many eyes at the time both groups looked disturbingly unlike the masculine status quo.....

I suspect you're right that Jagger challenged traditional notions of what a masculine performing style was or should be. (And probably still does in some circles.) I always assumed his sexual potency was never in doubt, but that's an entirely different matter. I'm sure plenty of folks in my parents cohort couldn't figure out what Jagger's bevy of rapturous female fans saw in him.