This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

For the Intrepid BalletAlert Detectives

hello all. i've posted a number of things about the enormous ruth page collection of films which the chicago film archive have been working very hard to correctly catalogue. i've been helping them with the things i can identify, as well as those dancers still in the area who worked with miss page. however there are a few mysteries, and i thought i would present two of them to you.

this film is marked as 'nutcracker' and alice in wonderland. it is a dark rehearsal film. it is marked as having sound but for some reason i cannot hear it. there are two dancers rehearsing on a small stage. the first piece they dance is definitely nutcracker, but i can't identify the second. it suggested bournonville to me at the beginning at first, but looking at the whole thing i don't think so any longer. any suggestions? i'll answer whatever questions you have if i can. the second piece starts at about 11:50.

http://www.chicagofilmarchives.org/collections/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/9200

He,he...it is so funny to see how the Ivanov choreo for the pas stays intact in all versions up to the point of those devilish over the shoulder jumps and fish dives. That's when the choreo gets creative for a few seconds. ;-) Kuddos to the Royal for keeping it, although having decided against the ballerina being pulled on pointe over the shawl a la Collier. (Brava Leslie!)